Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Dec 2002, 06:52 (Ref:448868)   #1
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull driver test... illuminating article

A link on Champweb.net today sent me to Media Racing Press.com, which had an EYE-OPENING story about the Red Bull "contest" to select some young American talent for a future ride in F1. Since it involved drivers from the Atlantics and Barber Dodge series, I thought readers of this forum might be interested. It is a lengthy read, but well worth the time. If what is said is true, Skip Barber should be ashamed of himself for being associated with this "stunt".

Here is the link:

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/redbull121102.shtml

Last edited by BobbyB; 13 Dec 2002 at 06:55.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 07:02 (Ref:448869)   #2
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spoken extensively to 2 of the drivers involved, I can confirm that the story is correct.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 07:50 (Ref:448877)   #3
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sh1thouse, absolute sh1thouse. If I was Sullivan I would be hiding in France too. And the initial contracts, f*ck me.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 11:26 (Ref:448961)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great read!
Old 13 Dec 2002, 12:06 (Ref:448981)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the Americans keep on screaming for "American Drivers in American cars" this kind of doughnut mine will find plenty of willing suckers to belly up to the bar.

Fortunately it's not as easy to fool young drivers these days as it used to be, and I commend all the young men involved for seeing straight through it from the beginning. Shame on any American driver of note who lends his name to a scam like this. Sullivan will never be able to hold his head up again.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 12:56 (Ref:449005)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil did'nt get picked did he?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:05 (Ref:449014)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still at least he aint a sore loser.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 15:31 (Ref:449113)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
As long as the Americans keep on screaming for "American Drivers in American cars" this kind of doughnut mine will find plenty of willing suckers to belly up to the bar.

Fortunately it's not as easy to fool young drivers these days as it used to be, and I commend all the young men involved for seeing straight through it from the beginning. Shame on any American driver of note who lends his name to a scam like this. Sullivan will never be able to hold his head up again.
Well cripes Liz, CART could've positioned themselves as the road for American drivers into F1 years ago, but instead they wanted to hire perpetual washouts with deep pockets like Blundell, Takagi, and Christian Fittipaldi.

Well, I was suspicious of Red Bull from the start, but I'd never imagine they could create something this disorganized and hopelessly political. I pray Paul Edwards and Scott Speed can extricate themselves from their contracts, they've got _far_ too much talent to waste it over there. It never took any F1 champion 5 years in F3!!!
Old 13 Dec 2002, 16:32 (Ref:449141)   #9
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red bull ****

Well, what did we expect? They think Eddie Cheever is a good race car driver, big surprise they can't get this right either. I might just start my own freaking American F1 team first and put an end to this madness. *checks wallet*.....*checks pockets*......Hmmm 43 cents. Anybody got $47,999,999.57 US I can borrow?

Besides I really don't know what these guys are complaining about. Those driving school cars are twice as nice as anything Jaguar has thrown out there. By the way, is it my turn to be in charge of Jaguar yet? I want my week like everybody else.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 17:17 (Ref:449180)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll have to take a ticket and stand in line. Fortunately the line moves quickly.

Someday the words with honour will no longer be considered dirtier and more disgusting than and ... and on that day, people like this will no longer be able to convince young people -- be they race drivers or university students -- that anybody who offers them big bucks up front is going to want their in exchange, and yes that IS something they are going to miss some day.

NOTHING IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Last edited by Liz; 13 Dec 2002 at 17:18.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 18:43 (Ref:449234)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have just read the article and I have read three or four other articles by repected journalists stating much the same thing. I do not think that the rejected drivers are merely reacting out of sour grapes. Phil Giebler's endorsement from Sospiri proves that.

This is my opinion of what I read.

The Red Bull Driver Search was nothing more than a scam to get 13 young American drivers to sign over their life, their future earnings and all marketting to the program. Red Bull rolled the dice that one of the thirteen might hit it big and they would take all of the money. When all of this came to light, a change in tactics was made. The drivers test was a sham, the winners had alreqady been selected based more on their marketability than their driving skill. All of these young men are good drivers but its obvious that a handsome face meant as much as lap times at the "test".

I wish all of the drivers well. The four who are getting their supposed chance must make every second of it count. The others need to explore other avenues and keep on pushing.
Never forget #99
Old 13 Dec 2002, 19:09 (Ref:449256)   #12
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is hard to believe that Sullivan was/is involved in such a half-baked scheme. I am sure there are a lot of drivers from that scam that feel more than a little bit betrayed.

Last edited by FastCar5; 13 Dec 2002 at 19:10.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 20:53 (Ref:449312)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People just misunderstood how the program was setup. They split the guys into groups based on experience, and took the fastest guy from EACH GROUP. Not the 4 fastest overall. Think of it like an endurance race where you have 4 classes of cars. a Bentley finishing 4th at Le Mans overall is impressive, but wont get as much attention as the GTS class winning 550.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:35 (Ref:449350)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that article is credible (and I see no reason to think otherwise), that's despicable. I feel badly for the four who won, as well as the nine who lost. It sounds like an all-round disaster.

I'm surprised that ORECA put out such a half-*ssed effort.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:48 (Ref:449362)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Sure, it gained them media exposure. But the only people who really knew about it were race fans to begin with. And in light of this news it would seem that things are backfiring. Perhaps the adage "Bad press is better than no press at all" may not apply...
Old 14 Dec 2002, 02:12 (Ref:449525)   #16
Liz
Veteran

The guy who sent it to me privately is someone I have enormous respect for and whose knowledge I trust. I would expect he'd check anything out before sending it over, so I am ready to believe every word of it. I think KC hit the nail right on the head: it was about buying themselves a Michael Schumacher (with a pretty face and poseability for sponsor ads) and as much racing talent as possible to go with it. Sad, sorry and shameful.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 03:23 (Ref:449566)   #17
Russfeld
Veteran

Welcome to the situation facing every racing driver in every series across the world
Old 14 Dec 2002, 13:35 (Ref:449794)   #18
Liz
Veteran

That's why the prayer says "lead us not into temptation." The earlier you learn there's no free lunch, the better off you are.

Incidentally, I don't think it's only a situation that faces only racing drivers. I myself have been offered big money from various firms that are doing work or working in a manner that violates my principles. I've never been tempted to put cash above principles because I was brought up with the X-Files motto "Trust No One" (even before there was an X Files). Or better put, "Trust No One Bearing Big Cash -- Find Out What's In It For THEM."
Old 14 Dec 2002, 19:29 (Ref:449962)   #19
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent article, thoroughly well thought out. It's such a shame a scheme which most of us had (naively) assumed to be good for the sport turned out to be a sham. Is it just me or is much of the 'American in F1' fuss generated by us Europeans, eager to tap into the sponsorship market in the States?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 19:37 (Ref:449964)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
That's why the prayer says "lead us not into temptation."
I am led into the temptation to say, what else is new.
Did those who entered this program really think they'd be in F1 *next year*?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 23:37 (Ref:450087)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Does Dario Franchitti believe that going to the IRL guarantees him a seat at BAR?

Apparently he does.

You are right -- what else is new? Satan never gets anywhere promising people what's good for them. He promises them what they want -- whether he's got it to give or not. So do lots of human beings. And if you want to believe there's donuts in that mine, you will.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 14:38 (Ref:450412)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a brighter note, Red Bull is now available sugar free.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 18:27 (Ref:450518)   #23
Liz
Veteran

I can only imagine how that must taste. What do they put in it to give you wings if not sugar then? Speed?
Old 15 Dec 2002, 21:18 (Ref:450634)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Taurine = Taurus = Red Bull
Old 15 Dec 2002, 23:30 (Ref:450730)   #25
Liz
Veteran

What is "taurine"? Do I really want to know?