Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 Apr 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1287904)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is ABC/ESPN Doing Their Job?

It's know secret that the marketing of the IRL is just dismal. There seem's to be so many missed opportunities to promote this series, that it's almost incomprehensible that those in charge of marketing can miss them. But yet they continually do just that.

Much of the blame IMO, has to go to ESPN/ABC. What exactly is there responsiblity for the promotion of this series anyway? You would think that they would want to promote the hell out of it, because it would be in there best interest to draw in more fans. I never see any promos or commercials on these channels advertising an upcoming race, or IndyCar racing in general, yet they will pump the hell out of all the other sports they cover, right down to NCAA Womens Basketball, Softball, Bowling and Billiards! These networks have the resources to really help bring this series and this type of racing back into the American mainstream if they wanted to, but yet they choose to let it languish deep down in the ratings year-in, year-out.

The IRL doesn't pay ESPN or ABC to be televised. So if these networks apparently want the IRL, why the extreme lack of promotion here? Should TG be pressing these networks to get better promotion? And should TG look elsewhere for a better deal? Or am I missing something here?

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Apr 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1287963)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, no doubt that ABC/ESPN are lacking in the promotion department. It might be a question of bang for the buck. Maybe they feel that promotion of the series is not warranted based on their perceived return. FOX/NBC obviously promote the heck out of NASCAR because they probably get a pretty good return on that dollar.

My question would be are we certain on who is paying for what in the IRL scenario?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1287973)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll only get returns if they invest something though.

And honestly, how much would it cost these networks to do two, maybe three lousy 20/30 second spots each day leading up to the race? Geez, they do that much for Pro Bowling! IMO, they are the ones that have the most control over how much bang for the buck they would get. Invest alittle, get alittle, invest alot, get alot. The way I see it, they have the chance to create something out of nothing, something that with alittle bit of money and creative thinking, can pull in some decent ratings.

I think one of the major reasons behind the success of NASCAR is the huge amount of promotion that FOX/NBC/TBS/Speed do for the series. Without that, I kind of wonder where NASCAR would be today?

And yes, thankfully the IRL does not pay for televising privledges. Could you imagine paying for such lousy coverage? OWRS unfortunately does, and they got royally screwed on the LB telecast IMO. Talk about not getting a bang for a buck. It was pretty awful.

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Apr 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1287994)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could have sworn that I've seen the odd (as in very odd) ad for IRL races. ABC/ESPN obviously feels that having ads as suggested wouldn't provide added income for them as compared to running a paid ad or promo for another show/event.

After Champ Car went bankrupt Car and Driver did a peice where they interviewed key players in the OW split. Rahal was interviewed and he said something to the effect that "I'll get in trouble for saying this, but one of the biggest problems with US OW racing is that ABC/ESPN has never really cared."
Old 26 Apr 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1288008)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is it the network's responsibility to promote the series? The IRL has not put itself in a position to justify the expendature.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1288013)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Why is it the network's responsibility to promote the series? The IRL has not put itself in a position to justify the expendature.
And CBS wasn't doing F-1 any favors this past Sunday with San Marino. Derek Daiy was ok, his `play by play' man was fair. They managed to mention their upcoming F-1 broadcasts but there certainly were no other promos before the race.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1288069)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe CBS cut away from the last laps of the F1 race for promo crap! We're all standing on chairs in excitement, then CBS goes to commercial and we're all like what????

Anyways from what I heard last year, ABC/ESPN8 only make money on the 500 and are lucky to break even on the others. Most of the other races lose money for them. If the IRL didn't have the 500, they'd be doin "time buys" too. It's hard to justify spending more money on promotion when you're barely making it. I think ABC views the marketing of the IRL, the IRL's problem, not theirs. They are just the broadcast partner.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1288174)   #8
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I can't believe CBS cut away from the last laps of the F1 race for promo crap! We're all standing on chairs in excitement, then CBS goes to commercial and we're all like what????
Anyways from what I heard last year, ABC/ESPN
8 only make money on the 500 and are lucky to break even on the others. Most of the other races lose money for them. If the IRL didn't have the 500, they'd be doin "time buys" too. It's hard to justify spending more money on promotion when you're barely making it. I think ABC views the marketing of the IRL, the IRL's problem, not theirs. They are just the broadcast partner.
Oh for the good old days of ABC's "Wide World of Sports", on film, a month late, but . . . .
Old 27 Apr 2005, 01:10 (Ref:1288201)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Why is it the network's responsibility to promote the series?
They may not be responsible, but they do have a financial interest here don't they?

It's pretty clear to me that if Rahal really did say, that ABC/ESPN never gave a damn about open wheel racing, than it sounds like there getting all they deserve from this marriage, which is not much. FOX/NBC/Speed don't seem to have any problems promoting NASCAR, now do they? Why the IRL can't get a somewhat similar deal with ESPN is beyond me. Seem's ridiculous to me that the IRL and its networks don't make a concerted effort to finally get it right.

There has to be something that we're just not seeing, but what?

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Apr 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1288241)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Perhaps ABC/ESPN are getting what they want (or expect) out of it already. Just a thought.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1289676)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Perhaps ABC/ESPN are getting what they want (or expect) out of it already. Just a thought.
You could very well be right, but if you are, that is really sad in so many ways!

Considering that ESPN has been with the IRL since its inception, and ABC has done the last 41 Indy 500's (incredible!), you would think that they would want to get more out of this partnership, and you would think they would have the power, money, and know-how to do just that. ESPN promotes so many minor sports these days better than the IRL (which is now unfortunately minor!) that I just can't believe that they see no opportunities here.

IMO, they have the chance to resurrect what was once, the American form of racing, IndyCar racing. Why they are not, is a mystery to me.

Hmmm, maybe I should e-mail them and find out?

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Apr 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1289754)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I do remember ABC/ESPN(whoever was running the sports programming at the time) in 1998 or so saying that they were neutral after the split and wanted to stay that way. So I think in their mind the sport sinks or swims on it's own and as I said before they are just the broadcaster.