Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1777027)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petit buys Rusport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55812

I am sorry to see Carl go he was a good personality in the paddock, but glad to see the team continue on.
I sincerely hope that they resign Wilson, he looks good in that CDW car.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1777029)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops! See that this has been mentioned in an ongoing thread.
Feel free to merge.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1778235)   #3
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the name of the team remains the same ow will Petit change it?.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1778280)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think the thread can stand.

the "off season" thread is about the whole ceries as a whole while this thread is team specific and no doubt more news about this will emerge over the next few weeks and months.

anyway good to see the team staying but as stated its a shame to see Carl Russo go.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1778285)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would assume the name will probably change.

Best of luck and thank you to Carl Russo to fielding a quality team. I'm looking forward to Petit running the team and it will be interesting to see who gets the 2nd seat.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1778303)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Word is now rusport will remain the team name, so there you go.

Why Russo is leaving champcar:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55829

Might be back in the future.....
Old 30 Nov 2006, 06:21 (Ref:1778305)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently he will still be part of PKV. This is a very good strategic move in that Rusport and PKV can share data and front running knowledge, something that has been missing of late.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1778530)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad the RuSport name will be staying in CC. It may not have decades of history attached to it but I think it's important that Champ Car has recognisable team brands like RuSport, especially when that team finished #2 the previous season.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1779398)   #9
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Autosport story identifies Pettit as a series co-owner in the first paragraph. It's been rumored along the way that Gentilozzi has been bought out, but is that true or just a writer's mistake?
Old 1 Dec 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1779640)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed that too. Very interesting and could be construed as a positive in my book.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1779760)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can confirm that Dan Pettit does own a minority interest on Champ Car.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1779767)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Been a long time in hearing from you, Muzza...

Welcome Back!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1779786)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least the team will continue in a fairly strong form, but it's a shame to see an owner expanding his reach of cars, rather than a new one coming in. The 22-car limit for the start of 2006 could keep some potentially capable teams out, which is a shame.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1781021)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From that Autosport article "Pettit will continue as co-owner of PKV Racing, while fully owning RuSPORT. Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser will continue with PKV." I find that really wierd.

Muzza, does PG still own a minority stake in the series?

I really wonder why anyone would want a minority stake in CC? It just doesn't make a lot of sense. Essentially the bigger players get to decide when they want your input. If one is planning on holding their stake for 20 years it might be worth something, otherwise they're just a source of cash.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1781620)   #15
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Been a long time in hearing from you, Muzza...

Welcome Back!!!
Hey Tim! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in Indianapolis. I'll move back to California next year.

Indeed, business and academics keep on preventing me from participating more actively in this forum - I don't know how much back I am, but I'll try to be a more constant visitor, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
From that Autosport article "Pettit will continue as co-owner of PKV Racing, while fully owning RuSPORT. Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser will continue with PKV." I find that really wierd.

Muzza, does PG still own a minority stake in the series?

I really wonder why anyone would want a minority stake in CC? It just doesn't make a lot of sense. Essentially the bigger players get to decide when they want your input. If one is planning on holding their stake for 20 years it might be worth something, otherwise they're just a source of cash.
Hi Snrub,

Gentilozzi continues to own a minority share of Champ Cars. The funny thing is that some months ago a friend of mine that lives in Indianapolis (too dissatisfied with the current state of affairs reigning in open wheel racing in the US to be involved with it) wrote me an e-mail saying that his son (who works for an IRL team) had heard that "a Champ Car owner who had been involved with the sport for a while was going to withdraw from racing" and I was sure that that was Paul Gentilozzi, but Russo it turned out to be... Or would Gentilozzi be also considering a pull out? He has not been a happy camper for the last year, it seems.

On a separate note, it does make a lot of sense for someone to own a minority stake at Champ Cars. Most likely a deal like that involves options and such, and investors (sponsors, for example) pay a lot of attention to whom is in the board of a series before deciding to pitch in. Thus it's very important to have the right names in the right places. Remember that Kalkhoven tried to have Mario Andretti, Paul Newman, Carl Haas and Emerson Fittipaldi owning small fractions of Champ Car when the series was acquired. Mario and Emerson were almost in but preferred not to commit when Gentilozzi made a series of "not very intelligent" statements at the time. Also, Forsythe was not very keen on involving others (particularly Mario) so that never happened.

Regards to all,

Muzza
Old 4 Dec 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1782034)   #16
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking, you ran away from home Muzza; nice to have you back.