Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2249381)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The definitive 2009 sporting and technical regs

Just released.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regul...mpionship.aspx

Have a good read.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2249398)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So we are still stuck with these crummy 1800mm chassis for next year then?

Which means we will still have loads of aero and grooved tyres also.

So much for things changing in 2009, I really don't know what I hold out any hope for a decent set of technical regs.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2249402)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Part 2 of that is wrong Sodemo, the tyre and aero changes are happening.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2249419)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the technical regs

I can't make head-nor-tail of the aero specification but I did notice that the driver adjustable front wings are included, up to 6 degrees of movement, two adjustments per lap.

The KERS seems to be definite.

And the Blue, Yellow and Red LEDs for track signaling are mentioned ...or are they already on the cars?

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 11 Jul 2008 at 20:24.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2249430)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The flag LEDs came in for 2007 (I think).

EDIT : The SC rules have not been changed re. refuelling.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 11 Jul 2008 at 20:44.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2249487)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
'Grooves' are definitely out!

"The outer sidewall of all tyres which are to be used at an Event must be marked with a unique identification."
Old 12 Jul 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2249495)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If this is the "definitive" FIA's style, then it's all open to change...
Old 12 Jul 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2249536)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
So we are still stuck with these crummy 1800mm chassis for next year then?
1.8m chassis and 1.8m front wings should be interesting.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2249595)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
If this is the "definitive" FIA's style, then it's all open to change...
More than likely.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2249599)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So why on earth no 2000mm chassis then?
Old 12 Jul 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2249619)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too big change to the design of the car this late in the day, I'd say.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2249628)   #12
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
So why on earth no 2000mm chassis then?
For a single seater 2000mm is just not necessary.

If the FIA widened the cars again then it'll just make things even more cramped at places like Monaco, and with more Street Circuits being introduced I think it's better to keep the cars as they are.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2249662)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new aero regs seem very ambiguous in places. Plenty of scope for teams to accuse one another of cheating then.

The overall width is 180cm. The bodywork width is 140cm and has been that way for longer than the grooved tyres have been around I'm sure.

Last edited by pirenzo; 12 Jul 2008 at 13:39.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2249676)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool

If the FIA widened the cars again then it'll just make things even more cramped at places like Monaco, and with more Street Circuits being introduced I think it's better to keep the cars as they are.
Wider cars = more drag = more stable = more drivable.

The extra 20cm is really not an issue at tracks like monaco, drivers would adjust, they coped fine for 30-40 years with 2200mm-2000mm chassis.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2249682)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
The new aero regs seem very ambiguous in places. Plenty of scope for teams to accuse one another of cheating then.
That's the basic idea !
Old 13 Jul 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2250179)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Before 1993 the cars had a maximum width of 2150mm and nobody complained about it.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2250260)   #17
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Before 1993 the cars had a maximum width of 2150mm and nobody complained about it.
I wouldn't have expected anybody to complain.

It's a no brainer than a wider car is going to be more stable etc than one that isn't but that's not the point, the fact is that they are quick enough without being 2000mm.

Le Mans prototypes & GT cars have a maximum width of 2000mm but they're 2-seater cars, why should a single seater racecar have to be the same? The whole reason for making them 1800mm in the first place was to bring the wheels in line with the bodywork, so as to stop cars locking wheels with each other.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2250321)   #18
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will read this tomorrow evening for a good couple of hours, and envisage the maximum and minimum in Sketchup, if possible, to give people an idea, and later, in comparison with the other (2008) cars, if needed.

EDIT: just saw the diagrams. seems simple enough.

EDIT 2: reference plane? whereabouts on the car is that?

Last edited by Tathrim; 13 Jul 2008 at 21:34.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2250326)   #19
Ogami musashi
Racer

Ogami musashi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The diagrams are wrong and don't respect the bodywork rules at all.
They are here for indication only.

The real drawings are not aviable for the public (the drawing showing the volumes, the drawing of the central standard section for the front wing etc..).
Old 13 Jul 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2250348)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup, the drawings are incomplete and don't appear to be correct to the specifications laid out in the regulations proper.
FWIW Tathrim, the reference plane is the floor of the car, without plank.

It seems to me that basically we're getting something closer to 2008's machinery than early to mid 90s, but with considerably more control on the sort of profiles that are allowed.

Picture one of this year's cars with no winglets, nose bridges etc, with slicks and an absurd full width front wing, and you're getting close.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2250512)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't have expected anybody to complain.

It's a no brainer than a wider car is going to be more stable etc than one that isn't but that's not the point, the fact is that they are quick enough without being 2000mm.
I don't think the cars should be widened to make them go faster. I think the cornering speeds should be lowered. But since the maximum width was reduced the cars are nervous and less predictable.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2250515)   #22
Ogami musashi
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Yup, the drawings are incomplete and don't appear to be correct to the specifications laid out in the regulations proper.
FWIW Tathrim, the reference plane is the floor of the car, without plank.

It seems to me that basically we're getting something closer to 2008's machinery than early to mid 90s, but with considerably more control on the sort of profiles that are allowed.

Picture one of this year's cars with no winglets, nose bridges etc, with slicks and an absurd full width front wing, and you're getting close.
Well for sure it seams to share some things with this year cars but the problem is that the 3 main points are changed: the front wing, the sidepods and the rear wing.

Since the front wing is far lower but that bridge are still allowed that means they will still have the possibility to direct flow (hopefully) towards sidepods, but sidepods havea minimum radius and they will run from the entry of the cockpit till the rear wheels so they'll be shaped differently possibly lower (so a bit like in the 90's) and the barge boards will be cut to minimal dimensions. Finally the rear wing will be at the same height than the top engine inlet and the ensemble of rear wing/beam wing/diffuser have a minimal vertical spacing.

So all in one i think re-design will be necessary, but for sure, the regulations are even more restrictive than before.

Hopefully those one will only stay for two years and let's hope the 2011 ones will be more open.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2250608)   #23
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
But since the maximum width was reduced the cars are nervous and less predictable.
That also coincided with the introduction of the grooved tyres though
Old 18 Jul 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2253598)   #24
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just so people know, F1 Racing mag has a diagram that compares the two, to give people a visual idea. (Aug 2008, page 102-103)

Hope this helps.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2253787)   #25
Ogami musashi
Racer

taking into account new dimensions for wings and sidepods?