Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Jan 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3491821)   #301
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I grew up in Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s and never felt the threat of terrorism was something that either impacted on my life in a particularly negative way, nor was it something that I ever felt should affect the way I lead my life.
Of course everyone makes one's own decisions when it comes to safety. But I can tell one story. Couple of years ago, in a house next to me, a man started to shoot randomly with a .308 hunting rifle. Because he wanted attention and maybe he felt it was his last temptation before blowing his brains out (what he also did).

Cops were even in our bedroom measuring ballistics or something, I think they didn't know at first in which apartment the shooter was.

But on the next day, I just went back to work. I didn't switch to armoured bedroom windows or apply gun permission (which is extremely hard for new applicants here) to 'defend' myself. I just went back to work next morning and forgot what happened last night.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 13:24 (Ref:3491837)   #302
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
For New Years 2000 I went to Times Square in New York with friends. This was before 9/11 and even then people were telling me I was crazy for doing it. But I did it anyway, had a great time, and obviously nothing happened.

After 9/11 I did nothing differently, I still got on a plane every few weeks for work, traveling internationally, I never hid the fact (as some people were suggesting) that I was (for better or worse) an American.

Nothing ever happened to me. Oh wait, lots of things happened. I lived and loved my life and did all the same things I did before.

You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than by getting harmed by terrorists.

I'm planning to spend a few days in Paris before the race, seeing the sights, riding the Metro. There's nothing that will change that. You should go on and do all the things you were planning to. Nothing has changed.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3491915)   #303
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't let fear get in your mind. Instead feel supported by the 1.5 million people demonstrating in Paris.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3491993)   #304
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I hadn't even linked the events in Paris with my trip to Le Mans and I was amazed when I see that you did.

However if your parents main worry is the link through Paris itself then to appease their worries then surely there must be an alternative route?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 15:00 (Ref:3492077)   #305
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think sometimes us brits are a little... it's not that we're complacent about terrorism, and bad people doing bad stuff (whatever their cause may be), but i guess we're just used to it and have rationalised the risk accordingly. mainly for the reasons ian mentioned - most of us grew up in the era of the ira and the troubles in northern ireland and many of us of a certain age have "nearly" stories of their own. i think the way we changed our lives to cope with the "threat" was to become more vigilant, but otherwise, just carry on and not let it stress us.

there comes a point with these random acts when you either give in to the fear completely and withdraw from anywhere that might involve people you haven't thoroughly background checked and had searched for some kind of weapon. or you say to yourself that if you are in a place where something happens, it's incredibly bad luck, and you prepare yourself so you know what you'll do. like managing a fear of flying, some of us like to be on the overwing exit because we're the only one on the plane we'd trust to be able to open it...

ultimately it's your choice, but i can understand how your parents would be concerned for you, when they perhaps grew up in a time where these kinds of people were far more common, and were often wearing uniform in positions of respect and authority. especially when you're of an age to have never experienced that kind of person or their acts in close quarter. they're trying to protect you based on their experiences, i guess.

it would be a shame to change your plans based on this, but i'd suggest not changing anything until much closer to the event.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 16:55 (Ref:3492102)   #306
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with all those encouraging you to come. Both as a small but vital part of not letting the scumbags win, but also as the chances of anything happening are very small. Anything, anywhere in the world which attracts large numbers is a potential target; should we avoid ever going to a concert, film, xmas shopping, sporting event, plane journey etc. again?

Even in the worse case scenario happening, the chances of you being hurt are even smaller, the worse motorsport accident in history was of course at Le Mans. I don't for a minute want to minimise that tragedy, but the crowd would have been a similar size as these days, so %-wise even if you were there in 1955, most likely you wouldn't have been affected, (physically). Finally, Le Mans despite everything, still gets under the radar of most people, even most sports channels barely mention it. The chance of some nutter knowing about is pretty small.

Of course the choice is yours, but I would encourage you to go; life is for living, none of us know what is round the corner so get on and take your opportunities whilst you have them.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 00:38 (Ref:3492241)   #307
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I fear this whole thing will eventualy result in a cancelation of our beloved race within the decade. I do so hope I'm wrong...

Mind you, they'd have to kick me of the premisses though.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 00:51 (Ref:3492244)   #308
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
In the meantime, our group is whole lot smaller then last year. 'Only' 12 campsite spots at Houx annexe again. I think somewhere in the region of 27 peeps with a couple of noobies. Tickets ordered at Ticket and Travel in Holland.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3492509)   #309
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I'll be emailing the ACO to cancel my pitwalk + T34 ticket. But hold your horses, after long consideration, I'll be making every effort to come, but will try to do everything on the cheap (simple GA ticket and no grandstand, will delay the f-expensive ticket trip for next year). Will wait until March to book transportation in order to clarify everything (the discussion I had with my folks, a few issues at work etc.), but while I was 50/50 last week about coming to the race, right now I'm 85/15 in favour of coming. It's now just that due to other considerations, I will have to be extremely careful with how much is spent on this trip, so first of all I'll be replacing 500 Euros with 75.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 17:24 (Ref:3492518)   #310
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well Victor glad you are now almost certainly coming and doing things like us on the cheap, always good view of the start outside the camp site so no need for grand stand seats,
Old 13 Jan 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3492537)   #311
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm glad to hear Victor!
Now we just need to convince the remaining 15% of you
Old 13 Jan 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3492538)   #312
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Now we just need to convince the remaining 15% of you
You have until mid-March. And 14 of those 15% are my parents' objections.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3492552)   #313
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
why do i get the feeling you will not need much convincing
Old 13 Jan 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3492563)   #314
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'll be emailing the ACO to cancel my pitwalk
Good to hear you are travelling down to LM. but who is going to tell us now if the pitwalk pas is value for money?
Old 16 Jan 2015, 21:39 (Ref:3493420)   #315
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferry booked :-) Sharing car with Allon again this year. See you all at the meeting (plus some at Silverstone?)
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:50 (Ref:3494487)   #316
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets finally sorted!
Will be (reluctantly) returning to Bleu Nord after last year with new friends in Tetre Rouge. Delighted to at last have tickets sorted.
Also sorted Grandstand tickets close by.
Now to sort out whose coming with me! lol.

PS: Friday - Monday trip.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3494496)   #317
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know the layout of Bleu Nord camping?
Trying to work out where G H E 10 would be (3 spaces).
It looks like it might have changed since Beermountain's 2013 map.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3494502)   #318
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
getting a bit mithered here because despite having registered my interest with 1st tickets and put dibs on a pitch in tertre rouge in july i've not heard anything yet since the pre-new year mass mail...
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3494508)   #319
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
getting a bit mithered here because despite having registered my interest with 1st tickets and put dibs on a pitch in tertre rouge in july i've not heard anything yet since the pre-new year mass mail...
I got confirmation yesterday that they had sorted TR and grandstand for me, so I suspect they're working through things now. At a guess if you haven't heard by the weekend you've probably been waitlisted.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3494511)   #320
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
ta, that makes me feel a bit better. i can understand returning customers getting priority on these things but i shall be cheesed off if maison blanche refugees got in ahead of the people who put their name down last year...
Old 20 Jan 2015, 17:27 (Ref:3494527)   #321
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I've finally done it - after 20 years of work/family getting in the way I'm actually going woohoo!!!
letting the train take the strain & pitching in Houx annexe (god help me)
Old 20 Jan 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3494546)   #322
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Well I've finally done it - after 20 years of work/family getting in the way I'm actually going woohoo!!!
Hope you can carry all the gear, after 30 years we now fill up a large estate with two people and the rest of the stuff
Old 20 Jan 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3494548)   #323
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ta, that makes me feel a bit better. i can understand returning customers getting priority on these things but i shall be cheesed off if maison blanche refugees got in ahead of the people who put their name down last year...
Lets hope you hear something soon fingers are crossed that you will be back on TR this year
Old 21 Jan 2015, 00:49 (Ref:3494651)   #324
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
That's great news. Funny, this year'll be my twentieth consecutive visit to Le Mans while you're returning after twenty years ! Maybe I can fill you in some of the changes there've been and you can tell me about how it was before I went. As it happens, we are camped at Houx annexe as well.
Please do come by and have a beer or two.

Old 21 Jan 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3494657)   #325
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Steve Willing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy to say I am finally coming to Le Mans!! Have booked a campsite at Porsche Curves through Speed Chills and have a grandstand for start and finish of race. Only downside is sorting a tent and sleeping bags, as we are coming from Australia and I don't want to have to lug it half way around Europe (off to Italy and Paris prior). I have been advised that there are big shopping places on the motorway from Paris that sell this gear. Can anyone confirm this please?