Old 28 Dec 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1189059)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosports Top 50 Drivers of 2004

Taken from CCF/CW:

Autosport reveals it's top 50 drivers of 2004.

Here's the top 20:
1. Michael Schumacher
2. Kimi Räikkönen
3. Sebastien Loeb
4. Petter Solberg
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Juan Pablo Montoya
7. Rubens Barrichello
8. Jenson Button
9. Marcus Grönholm
10. Giancarlo Fisichella
11. Mark Webber
12. Jarno Trulli
13. Sebastien Bourdais
14. Tony Kanaan
15. Nick Heidfeld
16. Mattias Ekström
17. Ralf Schumacher
18. Takuma Sato
19. Helio Castroneves
20. Markko Märtin

I'm somewhat surprised that Seb was ranked so low and Alonso ahead of Montoya and Fisichella ahead of Mark Webber has me scratching my head. They didn't even have one NASCAR driver (Jeff Gordon) ranked in the top 20.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1189066)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Other Champcar drivers:
13. Bourdais
30. Allmendinger
45. Junqueira

(off topic, Jimmie Johnson was 22nd amongst 5 NASCAR drivers. There were also 8 IRL drivers and 1 part time ALMS driver).

If Bourdais had competed against some of the 12 ahead of him (i.e been in F1) I'd like to think he'd be higher, but this reason scuppers his chances. He may just have sneaked into the top ten in my list overall anyway. I feel the current field is difficult to compare with outside ChampCar.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1189079)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

You must remember it's a British magazine, which will inevitably restrict NASCAR drivers visibility.

But in terms of what he did against who he was racing against, I think rating Bourdais there is about right.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1189139)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see why this list is how it is... But Alonso ahead of Monty, Fisico or even Trulli surprises me. I agree with AJ being placed ahead of Bruno.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 00:34 (Ref:1189156)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im suprised that Webber was so high, and im Australia.

Only MS, Kimi, Alonso, Montoya, Barrachello, Button and Fisco in front of them.

How can the 11th best driver in the world, and the 8th best driver in Formula 1 have never stepped onto a Formula 1 Poduim does make me wonder....
Old 29 Dec 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1189163)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
^ Jenson Button has been on the podium before.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 01:29 (Ref:1189168)   #7
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Please disregard my post above. Now back on topic:Webber has proven that he is one of the best F1 drivers on the grid imo. Okay, maybe he hasn't been on the podium yet, but he's never had the car under him to bring about these results. I suspect that's the same reason why Autosport ranked AJ Allmendinger ahead of Bruno Junqueira.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 03:14 (Ref:1189177)   #8
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi 2nd? : He had a rather cr*ppy year.
Of course, F1 drivers would dominate the top of the list. I probably would have listed Jimmie Johnson AND Jeff Gordon higher than Sato or Ralfie (JMHO).

Bruno 45th? I'm not too impressed about THAT one. I don't think I would have listed Rubens that high, either.
JMHO, but that list is a little off the mark.

Last edited by MLM; 29 Dec 2004 at 03:17.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1189349)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi did a brilliant job in poor machinery, really shining at Sivlerstone, Brazil, Belgium and Hockenheim amongst others.

I would have Bourdais and Kanaan in my top 10 though - both won extremely tough championships where yu can't hide behidn your machinery. I'm not sure WRC deserves 3 drivers in the top 10, and agree that NASCAR deserves a little more respect.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1189408)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 and WRC are the only "World Championships" and will always carry more status.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1189420)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KB, a few years ago there was an international event taking place on gravel. Most ocuntries entered one rally driver, one motorcycle racer and one circuit car racer, but the US entered 2 NASCAR drivers (Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon IIRC) and bike star Colin Edwards, and won. The WRC standard can't be higher than NASCAR (or several other championships come to think of it) if something like that can happen.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1189463)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

I didn't say it was a higher standard, merely a higher status from a global perspective.

The race of champions you cite is an interesting one, but I don't think it tells us much about the relative merits of anything, given that it's primarily a fun event.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1189477)   #13
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This list makes no sense. How is Fisichella tenth, he didn't do anything this season? How is Button only 8th, and how is Bourdais only 13th? How is Trulli, who won Monaco, behind Fisichella, Weber and so far behind Alonso? This list makes no sense what so ever. Also, since Autosport is a British rag, I would think they'd put Button top 5, maybe top 3 and Richard Lyons in the top 20.... I would have!

Editted to remove a pretty blatant autocensor-dodge.

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Dec 2004 at 19:14.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 00:42 (Ref:1189618)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fiore, Fisico did some good things in a Sauber. I agree about Trulli being too down.
One has to consider the merits the drivers did in the machinery they had. On that basis, the list is not too bad, though Montoya is a little too high - he didn't always look interested in what was a bad car. To be honest, it's really a moot point since this list won't change anything anyway...
Old 30 Dec 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1189629)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Exactly - these lists are opinion, and designed to generate discussion.

They work.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1189775)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
KB, a few years ago there was an international event taking place on gravel. Most ocuntries entered one rally driver, one motorcycle racer and one circuit car racer, but the US entered 2 NASCAR drivers (Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon IIRC) and bike star Colin Edwards, and won. The WRC standard can't be higher than NASCAR (or several other championships come to think of it) if something like that can happen.
Some people forget that a fair whack of NASCAR's drivers came up through FFord and then chose the path of NASCAR, it's not like they got up one day and said, "Cornsarnit, Ise thinks I'ma gonna gets me one of dem NASCAR drives and spin round in circles, h'yuck", most of them are pretty talented individuals in their own right.

[Biased Opinion]As for the ROC that's probably just Colin lifting up the entire team. [/Biased Opinion]
Old 30 Dec 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1190121)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personaly I love looking at the Christmas edition of Autosport, the top 50 drivers is very intresting, but mainly based on driver success.
For example Sam Hornish JR is down in 49th place. A long with DC in 43rd.

Bruno Junqueira 45th-down 12
Old 30 Dec 2004, 23:18 (Ref:1190220)   #18
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Bruno Junqueira 45th-down 12
"That's not Fair!!"
Old 31 Dec 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1190235)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meh, these lists are usually contriversial, but I'd say this one isn't that bad other than that it's very euro-centric. I'd agree that Bourdais and Junky deserved higher rankings and I'd put PT somewhere on the list too. I think it was very difficult to rank the F1 drivers this year so I won't argue too much on the ratings. I disagree that CC drivers are that difficult to compare to F1 drivers and I'd disagree to some extent that Bourdias and Kannan were in series where they couldn't hide behind their cars. Bourdais could have, but won in a manner that proved that he didn't. Kannan had a clear equipment advantage and essentially was competing against 4 other drivers and certainly did it in an effective manner and deserves kudos for finishing every lap.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1190704)   #20
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
It's not like they(NASCAR drivers) got up one day and said, "Cornsarnit, Ise thinks I'ma gonna gets me one of dem NASCAR drives and spin round in circles, h'yuck", most of them are pretty talented individuals in their own right.
That's classic Hazza, but you are absolutely right about the talent some of those drivers posess.