Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Dec 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1794258)   #176
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Some of the "rejects" that Stoddart might bring to the team are not exactly untalented drivers. I cannot imagine that Philippe would be booted out of the team, but I could see Clark.
I dont know about that, yes Philippe had a very good season in 2006 and his strongest to date but he had been driving in the series for 3 years. Clarke finished 12th in this years drivers standings in his debut year, compare that to Philippe in 2005 when he was in his second season of Champcar racing who finished 13th overall I think that Clarke is doing a good job.

Yes we all know Clarke can get a little ragged at times but he will calm down as he gets more experince and more results will start to come his way next year for sure. Unlike drivers like Philippe, Clarke had no prior experince of race circuits outside Europe before coming to Champcar. That by itself automatically put him at a slight disadvantage going into the season.

If I were Stoddart I would stick with the current driving line up, then if by the end of 2007 Clarke is still making errors and not bringing home podiums or race wins then think about replacing him with someone a little more experinced.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 06:03 (Ref:1794295)   #177
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great news on the return of Stoaddart to international Motorsport.

and even better news that the name Minardi is to revived

Is GianCarlo Minardi involved in this in anyway or is it just his name thats being used (because Stoddy basically owns it)

either way great news and I hope they do expand to 4 cars
Old 19 Dec 2006, 06:14 (Ref:1794299)   #178
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus

Is GianCarlo Minardi involved in this in anyway or is it just his name thats being used (because Stoddy basically owns it)

either way great news and I hope they do expand to 4 cars
I believe Stoddy bought the Minardi name when he bought the F1 team, so it's Minardi by name only. But I don't have anything handy to confirm that.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1794300)   #179
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah I think your right Snout.

I know when Stoddy bought the F1 team Mr Minardi stayed on as a consultant for a year or 2 but not sure if he actually participated in any of the day to day stuff.
I would say he is retired and enjoying spending Stoddy's money
Old 19 Dec 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1794317)   #180
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see him back. Certainly an interesting character Mr Stoddart. Was able to ruffle feathers like few others in F1 during his time there. Should have a much more pleasant time of it in Champ Cars.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1794342)   #181
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Stoddart will bring an Australian driver into the fold.

Now we have Team Australia and Team Minardi in Champ Cars there should be at least a couple of Aussie's on the grid.

Briscoe, Power, and ??????????????????????????????
Old 19 Dec 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1794432)   #182
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go get'em Stoddy, although i would like to see an Aussie driver there i doubt it will happen.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1794442)   #183
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
I know when Stoddy bought the F1 team Mr Minardi stayed on as a consultant for a year or 2 but not sure if he actually participated in any of the day to day stuff.
I would say he is retired and enjoying spending Stoddy's money
When Paul Stoddart purchased Minardi, Giancarlo Minardi was employed up until the team was sold to Red Bull in a small capactiy to find new drivers. Since the sale of the team, Giancarlo Minardi has been running a team in Euro F3000 and has taken over the Piquet GP2 team.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1794784)   #184
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul obviously wants a team that will run up front as soon as possible, considering the probability of buying a lessor team for much less. Also, I think the driver dilemma will encourage him to increase the car count.

Looking back, Dan and Will seemed to me to be the most promising of the new drivers, but Nelson is very good and easy on cars.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1794860)   #185
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson brings cash too, so i think he will stay unless HE makes the decision to leave. I think that would be foolish however. I think Minardi will be a strong runner this coming season.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1794936)   #186
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know how many cars he will have on the grid for 2007? Surely at least three?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1794968)   #187
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In an interview on Autosport he said 2 for sure, and will be aiming for 3.
4 isn't probably feasible.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Dec 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1795036)   #188
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dan Clarke is very fast and talented, but he is a perfect example of someone who needed a year of Atlantics or similar under his belt. The same could be said about Philippe in 2004. If I was Stoddart or Wiggans I'm not sure what I would do with Clarke, he's still very irratic and needs seat time in order to learn how to be a good driver. I would run him in races during the winter (warmer countries) in almost any kind of car. Even if it's only semi-pro, give him a disadvantaged car so he can learn. He kind of reminds of PT's early days.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1795048)   #189
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, Phillippe is under contract for '07 and Clarke is not, but Clarke has a lot of money. Then the rumors with Stoddart jumping in are Verstappen and Doornbos. ?????????????????????????????????????????
Old 19 Dec 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1795061)   #190
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
NoGuts-NoGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
As I understand it, Phillippe is under contract for '07 and Clarke is not, but Clarke has a lot of money. Then the rumors with Stoddart jumping in are Verstappen and Doornbos. ?????????????????????????????????????????

Actually, I have heard the reverse of this.... and that it is Nelson who comes with the bucks and it is dan that has nothing in his wallet!
Old 19 Dec 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1795108)   #191
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport.com are reporting today that Paul Stoddart has said that Jos Verstappen could well feature in the driving line up, as could Robert Doornbos. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56064
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1795362)   #192
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When it all shakes out with who will be driving they will certainly be a great addition to champcar.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1795414)   #193
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
go get'em Stoddy, although i would like to see an Aussie driver there i doubt it will happen.
it wont

It pretty much a cert that it would be ex minardi drivers and Ryan does not have the $$$$ to compete with most drivers (well how else can u explain not having a drive anywhere)
Old 20 Dec 2006, 05:39 (Ref:1795415)   #194
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuts-NoGlory
Actually, I have heard the reverse of this.... and that it is Nelson who comes with the bucks and it is dan that has nothing in his wallet!
Nelson will get the drive then....
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1795710)   #195
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
tbh though, IMHO I think its good Nelson will get the ride, hopefully with Clarke and a 3rd driver which is the aim, hopefully Doornbos.
Nelson is a good driver now as is Clarke.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1795712)   #196
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I agree Luke, but for whatever reason Paul Stoddart seems to want to have Verstappen in his team. Doornbos's postition doesent look to be quite as secure though.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1795718)   #197
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather Doornbos then Verstappen. Jos has only really raced in A1GP since Formula 1 in 2003, and I seem to recall him spinning around five times trying to get the car around in the right direction LOL in the middle of the track at Laguna Seca...And other not so great driving..
TBH I can't see why Paul wants Jos in his team..Unless he feels he owes him something..
Old 20 Dec 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1795831)   #198
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Rather Doornbos then Verstappen. Jos has only really raced in A1GP since Formula 1 in 2003, and I seem to recall him spinning around five times trying to get the car around in the right direction LOL in the middle of the track at Laguna Seca...And other not so great driving..
TBH I can't see why Paul wants Jos in his team..Unless he feels he owes him something..
... and I seem to recall him winning in Durban, starting from the last row and making some other great moves during that season making A1GP a lot more fun to watch then this season...

Back in March of 2005 he tested at Sebring and was the third fastest out of 13 drivers, only 0,35 sec. slower than Tracy who was the fastest driver that test. Keep in mind he never drove a Champcar or at Sebring.

Last edited by Rime; 20 Dec 2006 at 14:35.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1795875)   #199
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Katherine Legge has also been mentioned as a possibility. Has Stoddart actually mentioned Philippe or Clarke directly?
Old 20 Dec 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1795899)   #200
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Stoddart HAS mentioned Legge. Some other people have. May have something to do with whatever deal he made.