Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1387213)   #1
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My solution to San Jose

I would move the race to the nearbye Moffet Field, Because they hold airshowes there anually it wouldnt be too difficult to set up an event there. Also the light rail tracks that the cars passed also lead to moffet field. And they have an old Blimp Hanger that is big enough to put the paddock there. We should send an email.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 06:22 (Ref:1387229)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think an airfield would have the same atmosphere,even if it is that close to the city.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1387331)   #3
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 21 Aug 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1387364)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, look at all that room for people and parking and a proper race course and......and......and......
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1387472)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Let's have a city race but move it outside the city!"

Erm, did I miss something here?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1387492)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at all the business and housing development around the site, I can't see where it's NOT a "city" site. Just doesn't have railroad tracks and the like.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1387581)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess Cleveland isn't a city race either then. Or Toronto.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1387594)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they don't drive over train tracks, how can they call it a city race?!?

Very interesting site GBoehm! Roninho, great picture!

Question: In Edmonton they were required to keep one runway open, right? Would the same regulations apply here?

I think it would be a great move to shift Champ Car's focus to airports. Edmonton was really the poster child. You get a road course quality layout, fans don't have to travel, fans can see everything like a small oval and locals aren't inconvienenced.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1387712)   #9
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Question: In Edmonton they were required to keep one runway open, right? Would the same regulations apply here?
I've read that this would apply to other airports as well, some kind of federal regulation.

@ www.airnav.com one can search for airports in the us, most include a picture or airport diagram.
For example, here's the diagram for the centennial airport in denver.

Old 21 Aug 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1387713)   #10
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edmonton needed to keep a runway open because the municipal airport is the landing site of the air ambulance. Unless it's a similar situation in San Jose, it probably wouldn't be an issue.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1387772)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Burke Lakefront is closed down entirely.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:29 (Ref:1387903)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
What macdaddy said. indycool makes a good point as the metro area in SJ is pretty large. Using the airport there might actually pull in more people who would perhaps be unwilling to drive into town. Access may actually be easier at this location (if it is an option even to use it) but it looks like a good idea...

Burke Lakefront has a "window" where it must be reopened at a certain point once the racing is over for the weekend, but there is no requirement there to keep one or any runway open during the event.

The Blimp Hangar thing would be cool actually as you could put the paddock and a number of other enticements and enchantments inside'
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 04:06 (Ref:1387967)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do believe moffet field was considered, but was rejected for some reason.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1388020)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I will say about Moffet Field. If you haven't had a chance to drive by it I suggest you do because you will be amazed at how huge those blimp hangars are!
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1388033)   #15
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA

To me, the runway layout would be too simplistic for a race.

P.S. At least we know how this Corey guy gets to work!
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1388231)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toronto races in the city, Paul -- I don't understand your point. If we moved the race to Pearson, though, it would not be in the city. And pretty much inaccessible too, of course.

I like airport races, but I like city street races better.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1388377)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toronto's race isn't in the city in the way that, say, LBGP or Denver (or Vancouver!) is - it's in the Ex lands, with minimal disruption of anything other than car-based commuters. So in that sense it's outside the city in the same way that an airport race is.

As well, any public transit access (as you're always looking for in city races) would automatically have a terminus at an airport just as the Ex lands have.

So perhaps I should ask you to clarify what you meant by suggesting that the San Jose race would be "outside the city" when at the airport?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Aug 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1388406)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,airports usually are outside of cities for obvious reasons! Some cities may have grown and encircled the airport I suppose. Closing a city airport for motor racing seems to be a uniquely north american idea. I have not heard of it elsewhere.Too much disruption for most places. Here in UK we had lots of dissused military airfields left over from WW2,some of which still serve as race circuits,but see little flying.In Germany they used operational NATO bases,but all of those have now closed for racing.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1388606)   #19
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the UK the only airport in a city centre is the London City Airport, not too far from Canary Wharf. Heathrow is on the city fringes but all other major ones are well outside the cities.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 22 Aug 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1388610)   #20
indycool
Veteran

The point is, clearly by Roninho's photo, Moffet Field is NOT outside the city.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1388624)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've made the case many, many times that former military airfields like this would serve as great racing venues for any Series that wants to configure road courses on them....

However a facility like Moffett would have to be assessed in terms of the conditions of the runways and taxiways, etc.

It is my understanding that it has not been used as a military airfield for about a decade...but the place does look to be in good condition, since it has been maintained as an avaition museum....

Sure makes more sense to me than the awful street circuit that they set up for this year....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1388843)   #22
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the airfield is a great idea, for me he proper solution is to move the race back to Laguna Seca and market it properly.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1388933)   #23
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I have an idea... if airports are the thing now, why don't have the race in Sacramento? They can have it McClellan Air Force Base, now known as McClellean Business Park. Its not an air force base anymore, but the runways are there.

Here's a photo.

As you can see, there are many straightaways and taxiways to have a pretty technical course. And, its in an area that is in the middle of the city and not a long ways away.

And in my opinion, since not much happens in Sacramento anyways, if the race is promoted right people would go for it in a heartbeat.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1389397)   #24
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moffet also technically is in Sunnyvale, actually its not in the middle of the city, All that housing is old milatary housing. I though it would be Ideal since its close to San Fransisco as well, and it is basically all but abondon, and they have closed the field in the past for airshows. Another thing is the VTA. I vote somebody here with better typing skills than I write a letter.

Last edited by GBoehm; 23 Aug 2005 at 16:06. Reason: typo
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1389399)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
Moffet also technically is in Summyvale, I though it would be Ideal since its close to San Fransisco as well, and it is basically all but abondon, and they have closed the field in the past for airshows. Another thing is the VTA. I vote somebody here with better typing skills than I write a letter.

It is my understanding that there is some sort of aviation history museum there...

Is that incorrect????

One American Open Wheel Series!