Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2483022)   #1576
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if Luca is serious about a an effort, he needs to go over to Risi and give him the job.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2483023)   #1577
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
About time, Peugeot. They kinda made it easy for Audi to walk all over them at times, and could never seal the deal. And of course, Brabs has crossed off one of the major wins that has eluded him.

I doubt that Peugeot keeps the trophy-the 3 wins deal only applies to 3 consecutive wins by the same entrant, which Audi has done twice with Joest.

However, for Audi, if only they had more dry weather testing, and maybe one or two more LMS or ALMS races with the R15, it would've been close.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2483025)   #1578
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job to Peugeot. They deserved it.

Audi, for the first time in 10 years when intending to win, just didn't have the speed.

Good performance by Aston Martin, getting a car to 4th. More than I expected from them.

Who had the Spyker finishing ahead of all the Porsches in GT2?

Also, 7 total Porsches (both LMP2 and GT2) started the race. Only 1 finished, as the Endurance Asia car it doesn't look like took the checkered flag from timing. Thankfully the one that did was the Spyder that won class.

9 of the 10 Ferrari F430s finished.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2483030)   #1579
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nearly missed the end - my net connection died on the last lap

Peugeot have silenced the doubters. It's as if they swapped places with Audi for the race apart from the incident in the pits

I actually enjoyed this more than last year's. There seemed to be a lot more going on. But I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I got a bit more sleep this year
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2483031)   #1580
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Varsha says Speed has a new contract for LM for the coming years
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2483035)   #1581
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
if Luca is serious about a an effort, he needs to go over to Risi and give him the job.
Well I'm sure winning class and defeating Porsche when the President of Ferrari is at the track counts for something.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2483038)   #1582
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
congratulations Peugeot, finally a win which was well overdue, impressed with Aston Martin and Oreca in 4th and 5th place's.
A very big shout to Essex for winning LMP2, Corvette had GT1 sealed up from the start and GT2 was another great victory for Ferrari.
A shame the Pesca Pug retired from the race in such a horrible way and Quifel who disappointed me massively in LMP2, see you all next year!
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2483040)   #1583
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While it wasn't an Aston win (very unlikely but anyhoo) I'm glad it was the no.9 diesel to win as Brabs has been missing the outright win for too long and Gene I feel as been hidden behind Sarrazin, Bourdais, Minassian etc but considering he's been with the 908 project since the beginning I feel his win was well deserved.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2483043)   #1584
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, doesn't Brabs have a son in his early racing career?

I see Peugeot making plans...

(every time they win, it's with a Brabham at the wheel.)
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2483046)   #1585
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats to Zwolsman and Lotterer for running the whole race themselves and finishing 7th for Kolles. They quadruple stinted the whole race. If it wasn't for a gearbox problem in hour 16 they would've finished in the top 5. Overall though it was great to see Kolles running well, especially with 5 rookie drivers.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2483047)   #1586
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to everyone, even Corvette ;-). Excellent job to Aston Martin, and ORECA, and the best possible GT2 result!!! Huge congrats to Spyker!!! ahh, now maybe for some sleep, lol...

pit
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2483051)   #1587
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Ugh, I went to bed at one, intending to wake up at 5:30. Slept until 9:30, an missed the finish, and everything.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2483053)   #1588
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well a big congratulations to Peugeot, Porsche, Corvette and Ferrari. Special congrats to Johnny O for becoming the first US 4-time winner and special congrats to Risi for two in a row in GT2 (1 & 3 I might add). On another note,this year will probably go down as the most pathetic performance in the history of GT Porsches. All of their GT2 cars failed to finish. I know they were outnumbered 10 to 5, but 9 Ferraris managed to finish, even McDreamy. By the time the race ended all Porsches were parked or so far behind they wouldn't be classified. Embarrassing!!

DK
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2483055)   #1589
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
Congrats to Zwolsman and Lotterer for running the whole race themselves and finishing 7th for Kolles. They quadruple stinted the whole race. If it wasn't for a gearbox problem in hour 16 they would've finished in the top 5. Overall though it was great to see Kolles running well, especially with 5 rookie drivers.
Ya, that was a very good effort by Zwolsman and Lotterer in the handicapped car.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2483057)   #1590
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I completely agree with Hindy's final speech that is going on right now. And the #1 Audi drivers are simply the epitome of class. Congrats guys...

pit

ps. dxk1; we stayed up with relatives in Annapolis not long ago. Simply beautiful there...
Old 14 Jun 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2483074)   #1591
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Ya, that was a very good effort by Zwolsman and Lotterer in the handicapped car.
My Indian co-worker that's an F1 fan but doesn't like Karthikeyan is going to love this story.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2483078)   #1592
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really surprised by the GT2 Porsche results or lack there of. But great work by a whole bunch of Ferrari teams to finish the race. Oh and lets not forget the Spyker in 5th!!!!
Old 14 Jun 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2483087)   #1593
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was asleep when the crash happened with the pescarolo car near the dunlop bridge--I couldnt tell if it was before the bridge or after, it looked like the car was up against the wall tothe left of the bridge (track direction) Is this right?

If so then did the car lose it in the right fast right hander before the chicane?

Just curious of how it happened and what the news of hte driver was/is.
(also, very poor taste forthe Speed commentator to bring up the word "fatality" in the despcription of what had happened when Speed came back on at 12am, when he was describing the incident (I figure he must have been up all night-was 6am there) and wasnt thinking it through properly.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2483092)   #1594
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Richards critical on driver fatigue"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76192

Tom.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2483095)   #1595
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am quite shocked by Audi's performance. First they didn't have the car dialed in, from the start, the drivers complaining of too much understeer. It took several stints and front changes to get the balance needed to run in the 27-28's constantly. Then the radiator problem. Several times they made temporary fixes, before eventually finding the real cause of the problem and solving it. After a couple of decent stints, they ran into the ECU problems and the final nail was the wheel bearing problem.
Their pace was below Peugouts. Their setup was wrong. Their car ran into wierd problems they did not manage to fix immidiately.

Compared to how amazingly well the car ran at Sebring, this was really surprising and very un-Audi. It seemed to me the guys did all they could, but were let down by poor preparation. That recurring radiator problem is simply something they should have solved before the race!
In the old days, we used to say that Audi raced while Peugout just practiced their cars. This made Audi more adept and sharp in the races. But now Audi has almost refused to race the R15, and today that decision bid. Some more experience with the car, and i think Audi could have used it's potential better. I think the R15 is ultimately a bit slower than the 908 particularly at Le Mans, but i don't think even Audi Team Joest managed to bring the best out of their equipment. Which they almost always manage to do.

Congratulations to Peugout. The #8 car was clearly the fastest on the track, and the #9 ran really consistantly. They were able to always edge away from the Audi, and in the end Audi never managed to turn the tide. A very good performance from Peugout, that was so much more sharp on the strategy side than last year.
I was a bit disappointed that the #8 was not allowed to attack the #9, i would have loved to see the all french car win. They cut down the gap quite rapidly from 3 minutes to about 1:40, but then when Audi fell helplessly behind, Peugout held their places and slowed the pace. A bit of a disappointment, since Audi always had their cars race each other internally. But i understand how important just getting the win was for Peugout.

Congratulations to Aston Martin for a very fine performance. I had not seem them get one car through the race without major delay. A fine pace and reasonably good reliability, a Le Mans debut they can be more than proud of.

A real shame for Pescarolo losing the Pug like that. Fortunally it looks like Treleuyer was lucky. The Pesca Pug did not lose much time after the first pitstop (totally the Peugouts own fault). It ran fast and reliably until the crash, a real bugger.
Also Kolles did really well, their cars rising as the fast petrol cars ran into problems. They were around 6-7 with both cars, until they began to run into problems sunday morning. Particularly well done by Lotterer and Zwolsman.

Essex completely dominated their more famous opponents Goh. Essex was faster and it was Goh who blinked first and got into problems. A really nice race for the Essex Porsche to get to 10th overall. A well deserved win. Apart from that great drive, the reliability of the LMP2s were rather sad.

GT1 was a joke from the start. Although the Vettes proved a nice battle throughout, they was noone in it. That the Aston made the podium after such a problematic run, is a joke (but well down to them for getting to the end!).

Porsche was a disaster in GT2. Again. I have no words for losing their works car after some 25 laps. And the backups in IMSA and Lizard ran into major problems as well. You really expect the Porsche GT2 to do better at Le Mans!
Well done to Risi, grapping the lead at evening and never making a mistake to let other cars in it. A flawless and dominant win. The rest of GT2 was a bit of a Ferrari lottery. And good job getting to the end from Spyker, a huge improvement over last year's pathetic effort.

All in all i don't feel the race turned into the classic it should have been. Audi and Porsche GT2 did just not deliver. But a very fine performance from Peugout, denying Audi to get a chance.
A great win is measured on how tough opposition it faces (like Audi last year). Unfortunately Audi did not challenge Peugout as hard as one could have hoped for. Not a classic (like last years), but a good race and very fine win by Peugout.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2483099)   #1596
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

What was left of the Pesca Pug

So any further info on the crash? Still a mystery...
Old 14 Jun 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2483107)   #1597
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richards not happy with Hall's exclusion: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76192
I actually agree with him that it was a dumb move by the aco.

Ullrich thinks Audi will be back next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76208
Old 14 Jun 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2483111)   #1598
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post

What was left of the Pesca Pug

So any further info on the crash? Still a mystery...
Wow!, It really just is the engine and the tub!.. this show how well engineered todays race cars is!...

actually, if that car could have returned to the pits, (with no tub damage, which there of course is!) then Pescarolo actually is allowed to be rebuild!..
But what is Pescarolo going to do now!?, does he ow Peugeot a car?
Old 14 Jun 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2483119)   #1599
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
ps. dxk1; we stayed up with relatives in Annapolis not long ago. Simply beautiful there...
It's certainly one of the most beautiful spots in the US.

DK
Old 14 Jun 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2483125)   #1600
TheKimme
Rookie

Denmark
TheKimme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome race! This Race Week has been awesome! but it feels like it was five minutes since i saw Practice..
Closed Thread