Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:06 (Ref:338103)   #26
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH COME ON THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! This thread must be revived.

OK, let's have a proper topic.... um.....

What's your favourite car??

Me?? Well... ask a stupid question..... Gimme a 312, send me out on to the old Spa circuit and I will be content for HOURS!! The GPLEA version of the car is just superb.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:55 (Ref:340707)   #27
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be the Ferrari simply for the sound, although I don't mind the sound of that Japanese Honda either... it's doesn't handle as nicely.

Spa is a lot of fun, but my favorite is definately Zandvoort. The way you can throw the car around through the corners and head into everything sideways is a lot of fun. I enjoy driving the nurburgring too, but haven't even tried to set the car up (downloaded a setup) and usually don't push 100%. I'm just glad to finish there.

Now, if only they added rain !
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Jul 2002, 17:45 (Ref:340909)   #28
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often think how good it would be with rain before telling myself that I can't control them in the dry so heaven knows what I would do in a monsoon. Just imagine nurburgring in the rain.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 18:10 (Ref:340943)   #29
Tristan
Veteran

...or ANYTHING in the rain. Wheelspin in 3rd. Crash. Death.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 03:41 (Ref:344956)   #30
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have GPL, and with the keyboard is nearly impossible to drive. In Monza my best time was near 1'33" with the Lotus, and in the Glen I only made 1'15".
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:13 (Ref:346574)   #31
Tristan
Veteran

...about my standard with a wheel!!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 20:55 (Ref:346644)   #32
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dya think i'll get far with my GAME joypad? is it like F1 2001 where the game is specifically made for Wheels? i cant get one until next month at the earliest because my other one decided to die on me.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 31 Jul 2002, 18:05 (Ref:347297)   #33
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
I'd say a joypad was optimistic, but you can get good results with a joystick (that's what I use, and I can win races with it).
Old 31 Jul 2002, 18:42 (Ref:347321)   #34
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
a joystick?! i can see why you use use - because of the full arc instead of one arc with the Joypad but that must really take some getting used to and do your wrist in.

Old 1 Aug 2002, 18:23 (Ref:348041)   #35
Tristan
Veteran

Ideally one needs a wheel. Try the Thrustmaster Modena 360. Cheap and actually not bad at all.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:348094)   #36
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i know, i had one. it broke after just over 5 months of use. outside it's garuntee - so i opened it up and found a whole host of wires completely out of their sockets - no way i can repair it. expensive wires eh?

Old 1 Aug 2002, 21:18 (Ref:348151)   #37
Tristan
Veteran

Mine broke after 5 months too!! The bottom right paddle went. However, my warrenty was 1 year (they must've changed it) and for £3.50 postage I got a new one! Now I'm just waiting for that to break....
Old 2 Aug 2002, 06:46 (Ref:348345)   #38
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
huck it, i think it was used before i brought it seeings as it was £20. for 5 month's service i can handle that. i was gonna get a new one seeing as i saw the microsoft Sidewinder in Dixon's for £40

Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:48 (Ref:348411)   #39
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try not to get the Sidewinder wheel, as ithas a funny notch in the middle and takes alot to get used to.

I have had no real problems with the thrustmaster wheel, so how agressive are you at the wheel???
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:24 (Ref:348444)   #40
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
My Thrustmaster, (where did they get that name!?) also broke... after 5 months! What is with these things? Didn't have a great deal of use, and then the accelerator pedal stuttered and then completely stopped working. However PC World did a swap, (all goods in the UK should come with a 1 year guarantee) and I am back on track, (geddit)!

Despite the problem, I still reckon it is good value for £40 and it does have reasonable feel to it.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:18 (Ref:348939)   #41
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i...got...GPL through the post from amazon today!!! i rushed home to install it, installed it and ran it. ran it and thought "training". when to track and.......nothing. i found out i had the "turbo" button on on the joystick.

i tell ya something - it takes a hell of a lot to get used to the driving style and steering with a joystick. i could use a wheel and pedals because i could apply the power a lot easier - at the moment when i plonk the power on, i sometimes spin - more on the slower corners from a high speed straight. very very annoying.

the tracks i like so far are Monza and Spa. ive been on Nordschleife and Monaco as well but i didn't like them as much.

i didnt realise that garuntee covers if i dont have the box or the receipt - i assumed that it wasnt gonna be taken back...

Old 4 Aug 2002, 18:37 (Ref:349930)   #42
Tristan
Veteran

Dude. Now try it with the aids OFF. And that Ferrari is the most amazing sounding thing ever, non?? Once you download extra goody bits you can effectively make this into the ultimate sim, even graphically.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 19:30 (Ref:349956)   #43
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

only now trying it with the aids off???, ok fair enough, how many sideways moments, locked brakes have you had so far

There is a sound file update around somewhere that improves on the standard sound by 1000%

To help with the frame rates in the game, switch off the detail from the rear view mirror, (all the tick boxes). You do not really need the details.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 22:11 (Ref:350836)   #44
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Tris, the ferrari is simply orgasmic - imagine my expression when i got home, installed it, chose the ferrari and on my first training track (Monza) hearing that engine roaring down the pit straight into Grande Curve...i couldn't stop simling for laps

Nordschleiffe i think is a tad easy. you've got so many like-for-like corners in there. as long as you're careful for much of the track you can certainly get a fast time without having a decent setup or going to the limits of your car. even after a few attempts i got 10m 14secs and clocked 189mph just before the bridge on the final section. having said it's easy, its such a blast to drive - absolutely stunning. my best tracks so far are Nurburgring, Spa-francorchamps (especially the section from eau rouge up to Stavelot) and possibly Monaco. ive not attempted Kyalami, Zandvoort or Mosport Park - though Monza is frustrating, ive not yet gone around Parabolica without taking a fatal trip into the gravel trap.

the driving style takes a lot to get used to, early braking and expressive steering is the order of the day - unlike the 'point and shoot' style to F1 2001. ive died so many times and enjoyed the HUGE crashes ive had on the instant replay editor. ive not attempted the setup's or a race yet, but if it's anything like training im sure it will be amazing!

Old 5 Aug 2002, 22:40 (Ref:350882)   #45
Tristan
Veteran

Oooooh Tony!! Gimme gimme gimme soundfiles!! (BTW I played it, like, ONCE with the aids on, hated it, and have just learnt it from scratch with aids off. Actually makes it easier, IMO)

Parabolica is in, like, 1st gear!! Without any camber the understeer is something chronic. Compromises the whole lap.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 17:03 (Ref:351430)   #46
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
yeah ive noticed it's a 1st gear corner but i even span at about 30mph - it's that or either not brake in time because IME, you have to brake around 300-400 yds before the corner!

the aids are too hard at the moment, without a wheel it's just way too tough for me.

p.s can i have the soundfiles please?!

Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:16 (Ref:351516)   #47
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

i will try and find out where the sounds files are on the internet.

btw, parabolica is a 2nd gear corner, and use the big advertising board on the left as your referance point. Also reduce the front brake balance to 54% front, do this balance for all tracks, and reduce to 53% at some point as well.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:54 (Ref:351614)   #48
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Zanvoort! You can really push the car and go for it! There's a fair margin for error too, which makes it fun... and if you get it wrong, your almost guaranteed a spectacular crash. My favorite by a long shot! Well...Spa's pretty fun too, and I'm beginning to warm to Monaco...

Nurburgring is great if you're in the mood for a sunday drive though... I couldn't possibly race on it though...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:53 (Ref:351672)   #49
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
Juan, (I haven't worked out if you where joking or not about it being easy, but assuming your serious) nurburgring my seem easy to you now at plus 10min lap times but try and learn it well enough to do a sub 8:30min and you'll see how hard it really is to do a lap without making a mistake.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:39 (Ref:351726)   #50
Tristan
Veteran

Zandvoort: agreed.