Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jan 2003, 14:43 (Ref:489471)   #1
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
2003 Bentley details...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:16 (Ref:489509)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i need a picture,
i cant find one.
Help.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:30 (Ref:489521)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, Mike!!!!

Question: What do you know about the new Yates power for the Matthews team...I e-mailed Riley & Scott, but I thought you might know the answers as well...

Is it derived from the Robert Yates engines like he builds for his NASCAR entries, or is it a variation of a powerplant that Yates may have built for other forms or racing?

I'm assuming it is Ford-based....do you know which basic Ford block is used? (5.0L??? 4.6L Quad-Cam????)

I'm also assuming that it has been bored out & modified to be a 6.0L engine??? Correct???

Please advise, if you know...otherwise, I'll wait to see what R&S sends me and I'll pass along whatever I learn to the group...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:31 (Ref:489593)   #4
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Picture posed now. Its a sketch based on the picture which no one has rights to use.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 18:55 (Ref:489753)   #5
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Yates motor is a development of the motor they built for Panoz during the 1999 season - a 6.0L pushrod, 2-valve V8 based on the Ford smallblock. So yes, basically a bored NASCAR motor with fuel injection.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 19:41 (Ref:489788)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks CQ!

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure...

Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:31 (Ref:489840)   #7
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the drawings a help but is a photo,
anywhere! or will that have to wait.
Hopefully i will be able to hear it testing at Snetterdon,
im gonna try to get my dad to go down in his Anglain water van and pretend there is a problem with some sewers.
My dad does this all the time,
he saw it testing last year.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:33 (Ref:489843)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
No photo, don't have rights to use it. Also, see the revised image, it is very different than the first version. The orignal photo was very dark, its now been lightened up and the nose details are clear. The car is very different.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:34 (Ref:489844)   #9
MODE
Rookie

MODE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, I have the picture of 2003 bentley, apparently the same as MulsanneMike (with another little one of the rear end). In this picture the front end is dark, I don't see the same forms as Mike's drawing. I see the same front as Peugeot 902 EVO 2, which is very spectacular. What do you think Mike ?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:40 (Ref:489850)   #10
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is the most radical looking Bentley in history. Very cool. I like it.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:46 (Ref:489854)   #11
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MODE,

We enhanced that image (Auto-Hedbo), and viola. Was quite surprised actually. I had all ready drawn the first sketch. They intentially printed the image dark in the nose to make it ambiguos. I think its cool. Very interested in the detailed air mamangement.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:01 (Ref:489867)   #12
MODE
Rookie

MODE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, the narrow front tub allowed them to go far from the design of Lola MG for example and to be much more radical. I didn't enhance the picture and I don't see it as clear as you for the nose but I find the lateral air exits not very large. DE CORTANZE who told that first Bentley was a simple copy of his TOYOTA GT1 could tell that this one is a copy of his Peugeot 905.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:30 (Ref:489899)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Very sharp and exciting look!!!!

Can't wait for Sebring!!!!

Old 30 Jan 2003, 06:43 (Ref:490237)   #14
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, its looks more purposeful and serious.........unfortunatly alot uglier than the old Bently. But thats okay, still very striking.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 07:00 (Ref:490245)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Impressively agressive ! I love it for now ! Keep on the good job Mike !

Last edited by Fab; 30 Jan 2003 at 07:01.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 11:38 (Ref:490439)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its in this weeks autosport. nose seems flatter and front wings more bulbous, and engine cover behind cockpit has a bump. rear looks ok, as does the head on view. this is all from a visual context of course...maybe it'll go like stink.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 12:21 (Ref:490488)   #17
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
its in this weeks autosport. nose seems flatter and front wings more bulbous, and engine cover behind cockpit has a bump. rear looks ok, as does the head on view. this is all from a visual context of course...maybe it'll go like stink.
"Fast and bulbous". Clearly Bentley are fans of Captain Beefheart.
(Mini-quiz pop-pickers - what the hell I am on about?)
Old 30 Jan 2003, 14:42 (Ref:490618)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
"Fast and bulbous". Clearly Bentley are fans of Captain Beefheart.
(Mini-quiz pop-pickers - what the hell I am on about?)
Sounds like a Franck Zappa song too !
Old 30 Jan 2003, 16:49 (Ref:490770)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you're both giving away your ages......but then, who am I to talk
Old 30 Jan 2003, 18:25 (Ref:490874)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sorry - I think it look ugly, I much prefer the car from the last 2 years............
Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:30 (Ref:491137)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It appears from the picture that there are two intakes at the front on each side, one pair forward of the front hweels, one pair either side of the cockpit.

Is this actually the case, or is the forward most pair formed by where the bodywork has been wrapped around the upper suspension wishbones, and simply feed the larger pair round the sides of the cockpit?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:35 (Ref:491141)   #22
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bentley does look a lot like the Peugeot 905. It also has a much narrower and lower cockpit bubble, like the Peugeot and the XJR14.

The fenders are much rounder too - no sharp edges like on last year's car.

That front air management reminds me of the Ascari and Robinson R&S MkIIIc setups, but with the ultra-narrow footbox allowed for older GTPs, it looks very, very radical.

A question though: from the drawing the splitter almost looks like a wing section. Isn't that forbidden by the rules?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:48 (Ref:491150)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen what ever pic you are looking at, but I have seen the one on mulsannescorner, and that doesn't show it but i remember this.

The rule say that wing* sections are not allowed forward of the front wheel centre line, or below and behind the rear wheel centreline.

It then defines a wing section, it being something like two curves of different radius joining to from a leading and trailing edge, so if the top section of the splitter is flat, then presumably, it's not a wing as the ACO define it
Old 31 Jan 2003, 00:01 (Ref:491171)   #24
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't the front suspension have to be covered up as viewed from above and from the front. So as long as the top and bottom surfaces are mirrored it's ok. bit like F1 suspension arms
Old 31 Jan 2003, 00:41 (Ref:491197)   #25
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the pic cannot be posted, I can't post here what I found neither, but somebody on other forum scanned the pic and posted elsewhere. The car looks like a totally new car now with little in common with the previous Bentley EXP Speed 8 other than the paintjob and wheels. Equally as radical as the front has to be the greenhouse treatment. It almost look as if the car has been turned into a LMP and then added a roof on it. The car's bodywork has been change to EXTREMELY low on all the section that's not used by wheels or green house. From the pic the rear bodywork does not even have those bellcrank bulges like the Audi does. The profile of the roof reminds me of the Lance Armstrong's timetrial helmet in tour de France. It has 2 section to the roof/spine of the car, one is at the height of the cockpit, one is at the height of the engine, and the transition is very abrupt looking....the rear wing treatment reminds me of the C60 Evo in 2002. And the front overhang looks even smaller now, and the rear seems to be yet more extended....