Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Feb 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4143884)   #326
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
McLaren?
Hmmm I thought I saw hints of GT40 in it. Is that a gull wing door in the pic?
Old 16 Feb 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4143889)   #327
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Something interesting being built in the workshop next door
Attachment 76633
Ultimer?
Old 16 Feb 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4143910)   #328
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hmmm I thought I saw hints of GT40 in it. Is that a gull wing door in the pic?
10 out of 10 E.B I would think that by the time it's finished it will have cost a few bob ?. The guy that it belongs to is aiming to drive it down to Le Mans this year. I think he might be fitting a tow bar for the fuel bowser
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Feb 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4143912)   #329
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ultimer?
Ultima, now there's a blast from the past. Bob Light used to race one down at Castle Combe in their GT championship years back when I used to go there regularly, awesome car that looked fast standing still!
Old 16 Feb 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4143917)   #330
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
10 out of 10 E.B I would think that by the time it's finished it will have cost a few bob ?. The guy that it belongs to is aiming to drive it down to Le Mans this year. I think he might be fitting a tow bar for the fuel bowser
Engine and gearbox probably fake. Likely a 1ltr 3 pot under it with CVT trans. Enough output to drive the electronics for the V8 noise simulation kit... and avoid the tow bar/fuel bowser.

Old 16 Feb 2023, 18:33 (Ref:4143926)   #331
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
EB, may be it will finish the race will a gullwing door or more likely a flying door, many of the GT40s' doors are secured with tape. Period correct if I remember well.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 19:16 (Ref:4143937)   #332
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Just imagine the view on the engine bay and the carbs ramp though the mirror. Gorgeous!
Old 16 Feb 2023, 19:58 (Ref:4143940)   #333
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Engine and gearbox probably fake. Likely a 1ltr 3 pot under it with CVT trans. Enough output to drive the electronics for the V8 noise simulation kit... and avoid the tow bar/fuel bowser.

I think somebody is going to get into a bit of trouble if this turns out to be a 3 cyl Polo engine
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230215_145432.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	76652
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Feb 2023, 20:40 (Ref:4143944)   #334
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that a series of races are being arranged for early model Corvettes this year, including one at the Silverstone Classic. Perhaps a chance for Gerard C to replicate his most famous manoeuvre

Name:	Herve Dumas & Gerard Cayeux - Chevrolet Corvette C2 (3).JPG
Views:	5
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	76654

Name:	Herve Dumas & Gerard Cayeux - Chevrolet Corvette C2 (4).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	76653
Old 16 Feb 2023, 23:55 (Ref:4143966)   #335
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Ultima, now there's a blast from the past. Bob Light used to race one down at Castle Combe in their GT championship years back when I used to go there regularly, awesome car that looked fast standing still!
Ultima GTR I think was its full title. I used to help run one for a French guy who raced it in the NWSSCC, so it was mainly at places like Oulton, Cadwell, Anglesey.

It was a very impressive machine: seven litre small-block Chevy pushing out 700 horses, it was fast. I mean, fast! It weighed almost exactly a ton, so you can work out the power-to-weight for yourselves. It was an absolute beast of a machine, sequential 'box, dustbin lid brakes, huge slicks, aero, everything. It was one of the few machines I've seen racing that actually looked fast even when viewed from some distance away as a spectator. God knows what it must have been like inside the thing - scary, I imagine.

Ooohhh... I'm getting all excited now just thinking about it! Sadly, though, I never got to drive it. This was around 20 years ago, and I'm not sure whatever became of it after he stopped racing it.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 00:13 (Ref:4143967)   #336
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Here it is !

Name:	Ultima_GTR_2005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	76655
Old 17 Feb 2023, 00:21 (Ref:4143968)   #337
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article about the Ultima and its racing history (race series sponsored by Ted Marlow's Civil Engineering company.)

with lots of pics:
https://www.ultimasports.co.uk/History/1983
Old 17 Feb 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4143986)   #338
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We had an Ultima in for a suspension set up just before Christmas. I was really impressed with the build. Not heard from Bob Light for years. Top bloke and top engineer and driver.He went on a built the Stealth. Awsum car.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4144031)   #339
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks a lot Alfaholic, I'd say the year was 2008 or may be 2009, I was so young and had to collect experience… Make me think that I never sent the bill for the cutting grass. Knowing the 'Vette mpg, its skyhigh!

More seriously, I was impressed but the warm welcome we all had and the very serious and polite scrutineering. Something we should learn here…
Old 17 Feb 2023, 16:06 (Ref:4144032)   #340
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Re the Ultima we have one here and agree with delta, the build is serious. Thanks for the pics EB.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 18:26 (Ref:4144047)   #341
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Something interesting being built in the workshop next door

Attachment 76633
Really I can't see the difficulty in guessing what this is given the file name of GT40.jpg

Edit: Or is this just a Tapatalk thing that shows the file name?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Feb 2023, 18:49 (Ref:4144048)   #342
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's be honest Max - even without the file name, no true petrolhead should have too much difficulty in identifying it!

The shape of the door top, the twin fillers above each front wheel, the dashboard... oh, and the fact that a GT40 front clam is clearly visible on the left of the photo!

This is the Ultima I was involved with, not quite as easily identifiable to most as is the GT40, but what a machine nevertheless:

Name:	104-0409_IMG.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	76656
Old 17 Feb 2023, 19:08 (Ref:4144052)   #343
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Interesting article about the Ultima and its racing history (race series sponsored by Ted Marlow's Civil Engineering company.)
Godd example for the quizz, how many cars were banned fo being too fast? We have one driver banned from Andros Trophy for the same reason, Yvan Muller. He's back with EV's.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 21:03 (Ref:4144065)   #344
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Godd example for the quizz, how many cars were banned fo being too fast? We have one driver banned from Andros Trophy for the same reason, Yvan Muller. He's back with EV's.
Good question Gerard .
The Nissan Skyline was one banned from saloon car racing .
And most of the Group B rally cars were .
Vague memory of Markku Alen testing at Imola in a S4 Delta setting times that would have put him on the second or third row of the grid for the formula 1 GP.
Old 18 Feb 2023, 01:13 (Ref:4144073)   #345
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really I can't see the difficulty in guessing what this is given the file name of GT40.jpg

I was thinking about renaming the JPEG to Trabant, but I would have forgot where I had filed it
There was a guy in there today mapping the ECU and they wanted to get it running. but I had finished working on a customers car and had to take it for an MOT so I don't know if it actually ran. I did say to them "make sure you have some big "usable" fire extinguishers handy" especially with no air filters fitted !!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 18 Feb 2023 at 01:25.
Old 18 Feb 2023, 05:46 (Ref:4144074)   #346
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Actually just checked and it must be a Tapatalk thing.... I dont use Tapa and it just shows as a tentenths attachment number 76633. No GT40 ref at all.
Old 18 Feb 2023, 08:01 (Ref:4144077)   #347
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I see that a series of races are being arranged for early model Corvettes this year, including one at the Silverstone Classic. Perhaps a chance for Gerard C to replicate his most famous manoeuvre
Attachment 76654
Attachment 76653
For more info, see here:

https://www.70yearsofcorvette.com/
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Feb 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4144085)   #348
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:

Actually just checked and it must be a Tapatalk thing.... I dont use Tapa and it just shows as a tentenths attachment number 76633. No GT40 ref at all.
It came up on my computer with a GT40 file name too - not Tapatalk or anything else, just bog-standard desk-top.

If I hover the mouse over the image, I get a box that shows:

Name: GT40.jpg
No. of views: 24
Size: 2.65MB
ID: 76633
Old 18 Feb 2023, 12:23 (Ref:4144086)   #349
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
It came up on my computer with a GT40 file name too - not Tapatalk or anything else, just bog-standard desk-top.

If I hover the mouse over the image, I get a box that shows:

Name: GT40.jpg
No. of views: 24
Size: 2.65MB
ID: 76633

Oh, you young people with your "hover the mouse" tricks

Yeah mine does the same, but I just looked at the pic and scrolled on for the discussion
Old 18 Feb 2023, 15:20 (Ref:4144100)   #350
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I think somebody is going to get into a bit of trouble if this turns out to be a 3 cyl Polo engine
I see a spacer between the fuel line and the exhaust but may be he'd better put a bigger shield imo.
Closed Thread