Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jan 2023, 08:05 (Ref:4140702)   #176
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice selection for the Retromobile auction:https://www.artcurial.com/fr/vente-4...rial-motorcars
I wonder if they take Afterpay or Clearpay!

I cant imagine what the price of that might be.
(I might be able to afford a wheelspinner as a paperweight.)
Old 20 Jan 2023, 10:15 (Ref:4140708)   #177
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems that each sale brings a 2CV Sahara, announced as a rarity but each time its a different one. How long can this last? There is a special dedicace to Mike H, a white 2300S coupé. If I could think I'd go for a Facel HK, the blue one looks good. Announced as concours condition its surprising to see that the spare wheel presents some rust…

The vid enhancing the 250 LM is really Hollywood style!
Old 20 Jan 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4140713)   #178
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And on the mode bits and bobs, you have some Salmson spares for 60/100k€, another batch making "possible" the build of a Bugatti 80/120k€… Who are those people, I wonder?
Old 20 Jan 2023, 10:49 (Ref:4140714)   #179
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Dino and the 962 please!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jan 2023, 11:04 (Ref:4140715)   #180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the joys of dogwalking, is the chance to observe the countryside. We are lucky that whilst we live on a 70's estate, it was built with plenty of space around it. Thus in the mornings, if I wake up in time I get to see deer and hawks etc. just starting their day. Another visitor to this small world of ours is a massive fox. He or She is dark brown rather than red. Yesterday it was standing in a field that Bentley and I were skirting around. Sadly I didn't have my camera and it was too far away for the phone but what a stunning sight. We also see the occaisonal hare running through that field so I wonder if one of those had caught the fox's attention.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 12:36 (Ref:4140717)   #181
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Max i was dreaming about a 912, much more original than a 911 and well balanced. Ten years ago you had to pay to get rid of one, now they make c 50K anyday!
Old 20 Jan 2023, 13:02 (Ref:4140720)   #182
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My long time sponsor that died the other week had a Facel Vega HK500 that is sitting in his barn that will be sold. It has been in running order for years and would take a little to get it back on the road.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jan 2023, 14:18 (Ref:4140727)   #183
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
HK500's have been making a lot of money from day one. May be the best place to sell one is France or the US, being a french brand with yank engine. Dont let it got for cheap.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 14:32 (Ref:4140730)   #184
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Several replicas and some LHD conversions. The price tags dont show that very much. You must read between the lines before investing one million in a pale copy… Surprinsingly some can find NOS around the world, seing the 2 CV and Harley on its original palette!
Old 20 Jan 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4140735)   #185
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Management has opined that her days of listening to Radio 2 are over and hapened to suggest Boom as a substiture just after I read of it here.

So I looked it up on the Kia's infotainment system and had a listen on the way back from dropping off granddaughter 1 on Wednesday evening.

Content seemed ok but the sound quality was not great IMO. It seemed muffled, especially compared to BBC. More AM than Dab. But with reduced higher frequencies. I assume low-cost bandwidth terms are used?

I'm wondering if I can adjust the sound system (but I don't think one can save settings by radio station) or whether I need to adjust my ears.

Any suggestions?

While we are on the subject, does anyone have any suggestions for a good USB plug-in CD player for cars?

Management, without really listening, has rejected the idea of using a USB memory stick with MP3s. After a year of ownership of the Kia she seems to be hankering after her CDs again. Can't use her phone - it is already short of storage due to millions of pics and videos of the grandchildren, etc.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4140737)   #186
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
While we are on the subject, does anyone have any suggestions for a good USB plug-in CD player for cars?
What about a Becker cassette player? Deutsche gramofon?
Old 20 Jan 2023, 15:22 (Ref:4140739)   #187
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Management has opined that her days of listening to Radio 2 are over and hapened to suggest Boom as a substiture just after I read of it here.

So I looked it up on the Kia's infotainment system and had a listen on the way back from dropping off granddaughter 1 on Wednesday evening.

Content seemed ok but the sound quality was not great IMO. It seemed muffled, especially compared to BBC. More AM than Dab. But with reduced higher frequencies. I assume low-cost bandwidth terms are used?

I'm wondering if I can adjust the sound system (but I don't think one can save settings by radio station) or whether I need to adjust my ears.

Any suggestions?

Management, without really listening, has rejected the idea of using a USB memory stick with MP3s. After a year of ownership of the Kia she seems to be hankering after her CDs again. Can't use her phone - it is already short of storage due to millions of pics and videos of the grandchildren, etc.
As I'm the one who has been 'pushing' Boom Radio I felt honour bound to try and answer some of your questions.
We've been listening to the station at home through our Alexa, in-car in my wife's DS4 for the past couple of years, and since Christmas in my Volvo with the DAB radio add-on gizmo since December. I'm sure that my ears are not as good as they used to having worked in noisy environments and around noisy engines for most of my life, but I've not really noticed any problems with the sound quality so hopefully you will be able to adjust the settings more to your liking.
Unfortunately I know nothing about portable CD players that you could use in the car, but even if one is available, it (and the assorted CD's) would be far more cumbersome than a USB stick with all of management's favourite albums copied onto it...
Old 20 Jan 2023, 15:52 (Ref:4140748)   #188
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
https://www.amazon.com/portable-CD-p...ayers+for+cars
Old 20 Jan 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4140750)   #189
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
As I'm the one who has been 'pushing' Boom Radio I felt honour bound to try and answer some of your questions.
We've been listening to the station at home through our Alexa, in-car in my wife's DS4 for the past couple of years, and since Christmas in my Volvo with the DAB radio add-on gizmo since December. I'm sure that my ears are not as good as they used to having worked in noisy environments and around noisy engines for most of my life, but I've not really noticed any problems with the sound quality so hopefully you will be able to adjust the settings more to your liking.
Unfortunately I know nothing about portable CD players that you could use in the car, but even if one is available, it (and the assorted CD's) would be far more cumbersome than a USB stick with all of management's favourite albums copied onto it...
Hi Viva,

The Kia has a JBL system (supposedly) that I have tweaked a little and a memory card of MP3s, probably not all High Quality recordings, sound OK to me, as do the radio stations - or at least most of them making allowances for the moving about effect.

But Boom seemed a bit off by comparison. Listenable but just not quite with the clarity of the others. Pretty sure I could adjust that, but then probably compromise the others.

I have no idea what Management hears. She claims she can never hear me or understand what I am saying so perhaps she won't notice any difference.

I totally agree with you about CDs. But then there is a reasonable chance that both of us are similarly logical ...
Old 20 Jan 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4140753)   #190
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Gerard.

I have looked at the options a few times now but apart from HOTT, a brand which seems to get positive comments but could be all marketing spend and "influencers" all of the others look like much the same product probably coming out of the same factories using the same components.

That may also be true of HOTT.

There's nowhere sensible in the car to position a player. However, she was OK with finding places to keep the CDs in the previous car so I assume that would not be an issue for this one.

It does seem ridiculous to have to consider it when better options are available but, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

At least it saving me the effort of converting a significant number of CDs that she seems to have collected over the past few years into MP3 format. The PCs I have less than 10 year old don't seem to read most of them. Of course the newset one, about 2 years old, does not have a CD drive.

Such is the result of obsolescence.

I have one or two old portable CD players around but not with USB output. Might be able to get an Audio Out to USB cable but then still no easy option to control the device via the infotainment system.

Such modern challenges for so little benefit.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 16:32 (Ref:4140759)   #191
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Such modern challenges for so little benefit.
Happy wife - Happy life springs to mind on the benefit scale!
Old 20 Jan 2023, 16:56 (Ref:4140762)   #192
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
HK500's have been making a lot of money from day one. May be the best place to sell one is France or the US, being a french brand with yank engine. Dont let it got for cheap.
It is RHD and a manual box and he has owned it for over 40 years. We are not to sure to know what is best to do with it ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jan 2023, 17:02 (Ref:4140763)   #193
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry but whats a HK 500
Old 20 Jan 2023, 17:02 (Ref:4140764)   #194
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You can buy a CD/DVD player for peanuts that will plug into a laptop via a USB port and I have one, so you could plug it into a car radio also that has one.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 17:03 (Ref:4140765)   #195
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
BTW GP I am testing at your place March 5th.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 17:23 (Ref:4140770)   #196
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a point to note.

CD players designed to connect to a PC/Laptop are recognised as a 'drive' for read/write by the device being connected to. The USB port on that device is also designed to provide the higher current required for the motors and laser in the drive.

Car USB ports are typically configured to recognise root folder structures in a read only basis for specific file types (probably MP3/FLAC/AAC etc.) only. They typically would not recognise CDA files on an audio CD, so you would have to convert the files anyway.

Most CD players designed to connect to car stereos require an aux and power connection.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 17:35 (Ref:4140771)   #197
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In my Jaguar I have a cassette player with one of those Bluetooth "cassettes" which links to the phone. I connect dab radio through that. Needs charging every few days.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4140773)   #198
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sorry but whats a HK 500
Click image for larger version

Name:	43b7cb113f435d6eb309ab49095947c2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	76575
Old 20 Jan 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4140776)   #199
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Delta the HK 500 is just up your street !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 20 Jan 2023 at 18:26.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4140778)   #200
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Is it Facel Vega ?