Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1192268)   #26
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I do not understand is why he tested for a few good F1 teams and never made it to the top.(/QUOTE)

As many good but underfunded drivers he had to accept bad managment
deals to finance his racing in the past. Accepting bad deals or not racing at all. Also he made himself a bad service commenting certain tests with a certain formula 1 car in a certain way which put him against a certain very influential Italian team principal. Since mid2004 he is probably for the first
time guided by good managment. He will deliver in 2005.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1192277)   #27
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is Pantano not with Brask anymore?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1192291)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
He is by far the best active racing driver of Italy.
Hmmm......Fisichella? Liuzzi?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1192303)   #29
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the ACTUAL best Italian, Trulli of course.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1192306)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've probably missed out many more as well!
Old 3 Jan 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1192315)   #31
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Hmmm......Fisichella? Liuzzi?
Sorry, forgot about Fisichella who indeed is very good, Liuzzi: no way
I don't know Fisichella, but I DO now Liuzzi. He has a very good manager in
Peter Collins and he knows how to move in modern commercial racing. He is
a "stylish" competent driver saying the right things in the right places being in the right car on the right moment. Where as Pantano is uncontrolled raw furious talent being generally in the wrong car at the wrong time. Which is
mainly due to wrong career-choices of his past managment, which involved various parties in 2003 and 2004. All these nice gentlemen have a percentage of Pantanos future "theoretical" revenue and basically screwed up his carrer up to present. They did not support Pantano because they believed in him, but basically because they believed they could earn money with him. Now Pantano is guided by Didier Debae, who is competent, so future might be brighter.
Do not get me wrong: Liuzzi is competent and good, but Pantano is a more
pure racer. He reminds me of Zanardi in his younger days.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1192326)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Fair play.......I'm not saying Pantano is bad, but i just fear for his career direction which could easily slump if he doesn't do so well in champcars. he fell below my expectations last year, which never helps either!

However, I am aware he is a good talent, although I'd hesitate to say he's the best Italy has to offer!
Old 3 Jan 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1192339)   #33
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
Ok, everybody has his own set of criteria for judging drivers, which are by definition very personal. Mine are not strictly based on results (which of corse count as well), I tend to try to identify "raw talent", "winning instinct" and "dedication to succeed" in a driver, which btw is not easy to do.
This "sport" is getting so much dependent on factors which the driver cannot
control, that judging is getting nearly impossible, especially when the drivers
arrive in F1.
Back to the original theme of this thread: I believe Pantano could contribute
to the races of Champcar fighting against Bourdais and others.
Somebody remembers the Barcelona 2002 F3000 race and the race-long
fight between Bourdais and Pantano?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1192355)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a great race.

Bourdais led from early on, and Pantano scared him off the road on the last lap and took the win.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1192404)   #35
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't he get a drive in CC a few years back then it all fell through when the team folded before turning a wheel?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1192406)   #36
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He signed for a team that existed only on paper. It was called BC Motorsports (or something) and apparently had major sponsorship from Sunoco.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1192415)   #37
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The active word being "apparently", as BC Motorsports turned out to be little more than an unfunny joke.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1192464)   #38
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good management would've probably saw through that one, as their 'owner' had a very shady record.

It's hard to compare Pantano to Liuzzi, but Giorgio did manage 2nd and 3rd in F3000 with previously midfield teams, whereas Liuzzi had one of the best rookie seasons ever followed by one of the best seasons ever, but int he team that won the last 2 (almost 3) F3000 titles. Both have showed a lot of promise, but it must be said that the tests Liuzzi has done in F1 cars have been more successful than any of Pantano's.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1192492)   #39
perfectly_frank
Rookie

perfectly_frank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that Brask management is out? I hadn't heard. Who is Didier Debae? Who else does Mr. Debae represent?
Old 3 Jan 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1192504)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've watched Pantanos career pretty closely and I think he's good, so I'd like to see him in champcars rather than Minardi.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1192564)   #41
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the latest news is on Bjorn Wirdheim and Thomas Enge??