Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2596576)   #1
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Fast_Eddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 Sports Racer (Supersports) Series - Clipsal 500 11-14 March 2010

Supersports racing is growing rapidly in Australia, with full grids at each round of the NSW Motor Racing Championship this year.

The Sports Racer National Events Committee has been successful in facilitating the inclusion of a Sports Racer (Supersports) category within the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar Round at Adelaide on 11-14 March 2010.

Sports Racers are traditional 2C Supersports as well as specific 2A and Category 6 cars, including but not limited to West, Radical, Minetti, Prosport, ADR and LinkSpeed models.

With category rules reflecting the sports car component of the successful 2009 NSW MRC Racing & Sports Car Championship, competitors and spectators alike are guaranteed close and exciting racing at Clipsal, just as we have seen on NSW tracks throughout the year.

Interest and commitment to the series to date has been overwhelming, with 25 deposit payments received prior to the end of September.

There is still time to get involved, and the Committee invites owner-drivers, owners wishing to lease their cars, and drivers who would like to lease a car for this event to contact us immediately to register their interest.

Please contact:

Greg Steer
Email: greg.steer@oasissystems.com.au

or send a PM to me.

Regards

Fast Eddie

Old 9 Dec 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2596627)   #2
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This should be a great race

is there a link to a Series website?
Old 10 Dec 2009, 02:16 (Ref:2597074)   #3
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Fast_Eddie;2596576][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Supersports racing is growing rapidly in Australia,

The Sports Racer National Events Committee has been successful in facilitating the inclusion of a Sports Racer (Supersports) category within the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar Round at Adelaide on 11-14 March 2010.

Sports Racers are traditional 2C Supersports as well as specific 2A and Category 6 cars, including but not limited to West, Radical, Minetti, Prosport, ADR and LinkSpeed models.

With category rules reflecting the sports car component of the successful 2009 NSW MRC Racing & Sports Car Championship, competitors and spectators alike are guaranteed close and exciting racing at Clipsal, just as we have seen on NSW tracks throughout the year.
END QUOTE

Sounds like an inclusive approach to eligibility with all the brands represented- good luck to a fresh category(to Australia anyway)
One question--with that eligibility--who misses out and why?
Old 10 Dec 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2597129)   #4
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post

Website is underway - should be online shortly
Old 10 Dec 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2597131)   #5
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post

Sounds like an inclusive approach to eligibility with all the brands represented- good luck to a fresh category(to Australia anyway)
One question--with that eligibility--who misses out and why?
Thank you for the well wishes. Credit should go to Greg Steer who has been instrumental in putting this together.

The intent is to encourage all supersport style cars. Entries to date include a range of Radical, West, Minetti, Linkspeed, Chiron, ADR, ASP & Prosport models.

We came up with the name "Sports Racer" due to the fact that the cars were not quite Supersports, and they are a bit like "Speed Racer", hence, Sports Racer.

Capacity limits are set at 1500cc for motorcycle sourced engines, and 1600cc for car sourced engines.

The Sporting Regulations are in draft, currently awaiting CAMS approval.

A PC licence is acceptable, subject to at least 3 observed racing signatures and 8 hours flag marshalling being completed.

So based on the above, I don't think anyone "misses out" as such.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2597132)   #6
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
So based on the above, I don't think anyone "misses out" as such.
Existing Sports 1300s are eligible? ASPs are quite old, if they are then how about Hooper, Infiniti (which is a Kaditcha really), Bulant, Welsor and so many others.

And clubmans from which this class of racing evolved if you go back far enough you find the Lotus 7 as the progenitor, are Clubman's, your various iterations of Caterham, Westfield, Fraser, Welsor etc.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2597244)   #7
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Existing Sports 1300s are eligible? ASPs are quite old, if they are then how about Hooper, Infiniti (which is a Kaditcha really), Bulant, Welsor and so many others.

And clubmans from which this class of racing evolved if you go back far enough you find the Lotus 7 as the progenitor, are Clubman's, your various iterations of Caterham, Westfield, Fraser, Welsor etc.
Clubmans aren't covered, and I'm not familiar with the all the Sports 1300 makes you mention.

There are proposed guidelines that are being finalised that shall set out eligibility in further detail. A particular requirement that has been mooted for Clipsal is a 115% range instead of the more common 130% from fastest to slowest.

Can anyone direct me how to upload a PDF here? I'd be happy to post the entrant information bulletins issued to date prior to the finalisation of the website.

Alternatively, send me a PM with your email details and I shall forward the information.

Regards

Ed
Old 18 Dec 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2602026)   #8
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Some of the action from a recent Radical track day at Eastern Creek...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=53077016001

Old 18 Dec 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2602102)   #9
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Self constructed cars are allowed? or is this at the discretion of the commercial backers of the series?
Old 18 Dec 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2602167)   #10
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Self constructed cars are allowed? or is this at the discretion of the commercial backers of the series?
Nero,

Entry criteria does not discriminate on whether a car is constructed from a kit or factory built.

Safety, reliability and relative speed to the field are the paramount criteria.

I hope this assists. Please feel free to send through details of your car.

Thanks

Ed
Old 19 Dec 2009, 03:16 (Ref:2602213)   #11
scuderus
Racer

scuderus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some of the action from a recent Radical track day at Eastern Creek...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=53077016001

Hi Ed.

I dont remember Pete Opie looking that good
Who drove the cars on the day?

cheers

Scotty (Minetti #34)
Old 19 Dec 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2602221)   #12
Nero
Racer

ah, no, that is not what I meant. Your reply suggests a commercial product only - I was asking about a self constructed, own design car entering and being part of the series.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2602230)   #13
scuderus
Racer

Quote:
ah, no, that is not what I meant. Your reply suggests a commercial product only - I was asking about a self constructed, own design car entering and being part of the series.
Will we be seeing you at clipsal Neil?
Old 19 Dec 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2602235)   #14
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Nero,

If it did, it wasn't meant to.

Are you talking about a hypothetical vehicle, or do you have something built already?

If you send me a PM with your contact details I can assist you further with your enquiry.

Regards

Ed
Old 19 Dec 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2602239)   #15
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderus View Post
Hi Ed.

I dont remember Pete Opie looking that good
Who drove the cars on the day?

cheers

Scotty (Minetti #34)
No, neither do I!

I don't know anything about when it was done or who was actually driving. I presume Garth Walden and James Winslow, but Neil McFayden also instructs at Driving Solutions at Eastern Creek, so it could have been him.

The link was emailed to me last night, so I thought it was a good showcase of the cars, with a little more visual interest than your average Youtube link of a race meet.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2602251)   #16
Nero
Racer

Scott you possibly will, but as an assistant to a friend who has mentioned entering a certain race there.
Eddie a hypothetical vehicle: I am wondering if this is a free class or basically a platform for marketing cars such as Radical, Minetti etc with restrictions to match?
Old 19 Dec 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2602263)   #17
scuderus
Racer

Quote:
Scott you possibly will, but as an assistant to a friend who has mentioned entering a certain race there.
Eddie a hypothetical vehicle: I am wondering if this is a free class or basically a platform for marketing cars such as Radical, Minetti etc with restrictions to match?
Come and say hello,

I think I can speak for most involved and say that its a platform to go racing. The majority of the cars are privetely owned, are exciting to drive and watch, and have lap speeds of cars 3 times the cost.
The owners havnt been forced to buy them. Its no more a marketing platform than the manufactures involved in Forumla Ford or Vee.

Credit must be given to Greg Steer from West who is the main driving force behind this series.
He obviously has a vested intertest in selling his own cars but is a racer at heart and has from the very beginning worked to have as many different cars involved as possible.

I personally dont have a problem with one-offs as long as they fulful the criteria. There have been planty of prosports built but none of them are the same and that certainly goes for the car that they intend to run at clipsal. It will be called a Prosport but will certainly be a one off.

I do however think that the majority of cars for this series will continue to come from the manufactures.

cheers scott
Old 19 Dec 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2602264)   #18
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Nero,

I think it falls in between both extremes.

There is no doubt the event/series shall provide an opportunity for marketing the vehicles.

If you look at My105 at the moment you will see this is not just from a distributor/manufacturers point of view - private owners are now mentioning "Clipsal elegibility" in their advertisments.

At the same time, you will see from this post that I have also been keen to hear from owners of one off or low volume cars to see if we can accomodate them (even the hypthetical ones ).

Notwithstanding, none of the cars shall be "free".

We need to ensure the field is competitive and the racing close.

I'm told it's what the spectators and entrants want.

Regards

Ed
Old 22 Dec 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2603616)   #19
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We need to ensure the field is competitive and the racing close.

I'm told it's what the spectators and entrants want.

Regards

Ed
Dunno about anyone else, but I'm excited. A well-publicised raing category without a sedan silhouette, or Ford/Holden participation, and a spiritual link to a glorious history in Australian Motor racing? Bring it on.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2610370)   #20
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post

There is now...

www.sportsracer.com.au

The Clipsal entry form and supplementary regs are available on the site.

Entries close on 5th February 2010.

There are quite a few elegible vehicles for sale on My105.com, with a couple of Wests changing hands of late with eager new owners entering the Clipsal event.

Regards

Ed
Old 9 Jan 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2610382)   #21
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks! - look forward to following it closer this year...
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2611306)   #22
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Here is a sample of Sports Racers in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurMcvLA64A

This footage is from Richard Fricker, the NSW State Champion at the final round at Oran Park last year (2009).

Regards

Ed
Old 17 Jan 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2614462)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Synergy V8

Fast Eddie, is the Synergy V8 an eligible powerplant?
http://www.synergypower.co.nz/

Is the Kiwi Juno below a likely starter?

The powerplant in speedway form has Kiwis in contention for the Chili Bowl this weekend.
http://www.whowon.com/Results.asp?Tr...StoryID=283019

JUNO Racing
Juno Racing is a UK based manufacture of very high performance sports prototype racing cars. These cars compete in a variety of European sports car championships, and are also used in track day events.

A Juno-Synergy V8 development car is undergoing final assembly and will be track tested and raced in New Zealand 2009.

A machined aluminium bell-housing and twin plate 5.5” clutch are used to adapt the Synergy V8 to the Hewland FTRS sequential transaxle.

This vehicle utilises all of the advanced features available today such as driver adjustable traction control, multiple maps, full data logging and paddle shift gear-change system.

www.junoracing.co.nz

Last edited by cavvy; 17 Jan 2010 at 00:14.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2614524)   #24
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Fast Eddie, is the Synergy V8 an eligible powerplant?
http://www.synergypower.co.nz/

Is the Kiwi Juno below a likely starter?

www.junoracing.co.nz
Cavvy,

The regulations are drafted to accept vehicles powered by:

Motorcycle engines up to 1500cc

Car engines up to 1600cc

These capacity limits reflect the NSW State Championship sporting regulations.

As such, the Juno 2lt, Radical SR5, Synergy V8 Juno and the Radical SR8 are not eligible.

Regards

Ed
Old 18 Jan 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2615038)   #25
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

There has been lots of enquiry about what cars are suitable to run and where they can be sourced in time for Clipsal.

Here is a sample of some of the cars available on My105 as at 18/1/10 that would be suitable to race at Clipsal. It is not an exhaustive list, but it is a start!

Prosport #1

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=14358

This one is a weapon. Shane blew the field away in his sole appearance at Wakefield in the NSW State Championship early in 2009.

Propsort #2

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=7730

2008 Championship winning car. Well sorted and competitive with a trailer and parts.

Prosport #3

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=10930

This is the sister car to the one above. It has been completely refreshed and is race ready.

West

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=14302

The Wests have been hard to beat in NSW in 2009. This is a great example of a front running car.

Radical

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13346

This one is definately running at Clipsal unless sold prior - even then you will be lucky to drag Richard out of the driver's seat. Richard raced this car everywhere in 2009 and won pretty much everything in it. A very well sorted car.

Minetti

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13707

There are a couple of these already heading to Clipsal. They have been very competitive int he 2009 NSW Racing & Sportscar championship.

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13663

Another one ready to be completed.

In addition to the above, the Australian distributors of both Radical and West have both new and used cars available.

Radical Australia

http://www.radicalaustralia.co.uk/news/regional-news

West Race Cars Australia

http://westracecars.com.au/