Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Nov 2003, 12:53 (Ref:780972)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Good Old Days

I was speaking to an old friend of mine last night and during the conversation I remembered that when I first started marshalling, we lady pit marshals (there were loads of us in those days!) used to have an award called "Pit Lane Pet of the Day" which we used to embarrass drivers with. It was a scroll tied up with pink ribbon (couldn't get any orange) and a small teddy or something similar. We gave it to various drivers for all sorts of reasons (making us coffee was one very good reason). We got the idea from Silverstone where the lady marshals used to have a "Dish of the Day" award.

Anyone got any other fond memories of the "Good Old Days"?

Sheila
Old 12 Nov 2003, 18:14 (Ref:781266)   #2
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In today's PC society surely that is just asking for trouble....
Old 12 Nov 2003, 18:40 (Ref:781287)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pound club, a group of racers that used to pay a pound each time they ended up in the gravel, at the end of the season they had a **** up and prizes
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:02 (Ref:781304)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
thats a pretty good idea...but how about this for another one....every time a driver goes into the gravel he/she has to pay 1 pound towards the end of season marshals raffle!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 22:22 (Ref:781469)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aah, the ggod old days. In the words of Innes Ireland(?) when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous.

Best thing about the old days was tyres that slid around without going off. Never having to hear the worst words in motor racing "I was looking after my tyres".
Old 13 Nov 2003, 01:07 (Ref:781558)   #6
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 5000!

Thats it.

Formula 5000!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 09:42 (Ref:781831)   #7
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Formula 5000!
Even better - F5000 at Mallory Park

Nearly a full grid
No runoff areas at Gerards or the Esses

Awesome!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 10:45 (Ref:781887)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F3 at Cadwell and at Mallory.

Jim
Old 13 Nov 2003, 11:19 (Ref:781904)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
no zimmmerframes? lol
Old 13 Nov 2003, 11:50 (Ref:781923)   #10
stroller
Racer

Quote:
F3 at Cadwell and at Mallory
Jim,
Do you remember Guy Edwards putting his F5000 off at Gerards during a practice session, and insisting that you stop the session because his car was in a dangerous position.

I believe your reply was something to the effect - "Well you shouldn't have put it there in the first place!"

Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:36 (Ref:781963)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

lol...thats how it should be
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:39 (Ref:781970)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by stroller
Jim,
Do you remember Guy Edwards putting his F5000 off at Gerards during a practice session, and insisting that you stop the session because his car was in a dangerous position.

I believe your reply was something to the effect - "Well you shouldn't have put it there in the first place!"

Vividly. I was much politer the first time of asking. When he "demanded" that he use the post telephone to tell the Clerk of the Course, I said that I would use my telephone to say that Guy insisted the session was stopped. I did so if only because I knew what Don Truman's response would be.

Guy shut up when I passed back Don's response. I suspect the silicon censor might not let the response through, but "Tell him to off" would certainly convey the right impression.

Regards

Jim
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:49 (Ref:781985)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
Guy shut up when I passed back Don's response. I suspect the silicon censor might not let the response through, but "Tell him to off" would certainly convey the right impression.
Jim

Oh I bet the look on his face was wonderful at that comment!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:30 (Ref:782041)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great idea that! bring it back! I'm looking forward to all you gifts for me....
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:46 (Ref:782052)   #15
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The run off at the Esses used to be less than it is now!?
Old 13 Nov 2003, 14:01 (Ref:782066)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
Loads. Take a straight-ish line from just after the in post to after the Esses post itself. One layer of tyres eventually and no gravel.

Regards

Jim
Old 13 Nov 2003, 14:13 (Ref:782072)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
YES...the great days of F5000 / International F2 / F.Atlantic and F3 at Mallory. The hairpin had no run-off either in those days. The armco lined the edge of the track up there.
I certainly remember the Silverstone 'Dish of the Day' thing as I had the job of doing pen and ink drawings of the drivers cars that were presented to each 'dish' at the end of each season! Rita Dickens and Val Adaway were behind those awards back then. Rita's husband Les was caretaker - groundsman at Silverstone for many years and their son Alf still races in Clubmans sports.
I had not seen Val Adaway for ages until about a week ago. By coincedence, she and husband Rob (who was also a marshal ) were sitting right infront of us at a concert at the Birmingham NEC. They are not involved with Motorsport anymore.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 14:14 (Ref:782074)   #18
stroller
Racer

Quote:
When I first started Marshalling, the entire circuit only had about 15-20 feet of runoff around the entire outside. Esses and Gerards included, and as Jim states - no graveltraps/Tyres at all.

Also some of the Flagpoints/Observers posts were located at unprotected breezeblock structures on the INSIDE of the circuit. Notably Gerards out and halfway down Stebbe. There was also a particularly "iffy" post immediately after the exit to the Pits on the inside of the Circuit (until Ulf Norinder? took himself and a few marshals out at a F5000 meeting)

Old 13 Nov 2003, 14:43 (Ref:782096)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is an old thread with lots of old photos of Mallory back then. You can clearly see how little run-off there was around the circuit. There are quite a few photos so patience is required as they load - but worth the wait!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=mallory+park
Old 13 Nov 2003, 16:52 (Ref:782199)   #20
ascarracinguk
Veteran

nice pix....ive driven it on gpl...love the old circuits....looks alot like cadwell....maybe its why i like cadwell so much...nice track with no horrible gravel
Old 13 Nov 2003, 16:54 (Ref:782202)   #21
ascarracinguk
Veteran

man u lot are making me feel so old....jeez ill be borrowing daves ziimmmmerframe soon lol
Old 14 Nov 2003, 10:40 (Ref:783015)   #22
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your all sounding pretty sad, so it's only right that another sad old git joins in.
I have a photo at home of me rounding Druids at Brands on a sidecar with the sleepers ( before armco) almost at the edge of the track and the oil flag nailed permenantly to the sleepers.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 10:55 (Ref:783030)   #23
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Dear Bob,
This is your fault.
I was going to stay out of this, but how about Brands before druids? Bike races run anti clockwise with cars clockwise at the same meeting. Picking bluebells in the woods behind South Bank. Percy Dalton's peanut concession.
Graham Hill and Colin Chapman in two or three races a day. Stirling Moss's 21st Birthday celebration on the top straight.
Great days, just a shame I can't remember what happened yesterday!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:28 (Ref:783117)   #24
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've beaten me John, even I don't go back that far.
First memory of Brands is Derek Minter on a Manx Norton. Going the same way round the circuit as now.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:47 (Ref:783135)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Who was Percy Dalton and what did his peanut concession have to do with motor sport?