Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Oct 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1734875)   #1
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should Rallycross have a presence at the Autosport International Show

The Autosport Show is one of the biggest motorsport shows in Europe and at the 2006 show there was no stand representing rallycross. I know there were one or two cars dotted around the show and there were several in the live action arena, but there was no focal point for anyone to get information about rallycross either as a spectator or competitor.

The question is are we going to have a presence at the 2007 show?
Should'nt we be pushing our sport at events like this?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1734893)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rallycross should definitely have a stand there (although I have no idea how much they cost so it may not be viable). What you don't want though is an RSS stand and a BRDA stand with infighting and the whole "my rallycross is better than yours" argument - that wouldn't present a good image of the sport at all.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1734930)   #3
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely. If even minor short-oval formulas can have a presence, why not rallycross? I know its not cheap but its the best general showcase for motorsport in the world. Its not like we're a totally impoverished sport - just look at the amounts spent on some of our top mods and supercars!

If its just not possible to have a seperate stand, perhaps there could be a couple of rallycross cars and promo material on the BTRDA stand?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1734969)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do you mean "if even short oval", i tell you what mate you wanna get your head out of the sand for a minute and come and watch some!!
Blows the weeds out of a load of rich old men playing about in cars they can hardly drive!!
Now I am a rallycross fan and always have been, it was my intro into cheap clubbie motorsport, but i was there in the good old days and have seen nothing but decline as a result of infighting and bad decisions made by governing bodies in the UK and abroad.
The sport is getting better but to think you have any more right than short ovals (that make entertainment a priority rather than a by product) to be there is the sort of attitude that has proved the sport downfall, same as any RACMSA recognised racing to be honest!
Stock cars and grasstrack are always the most popular thing at the show and we are quite happy to be that, we get crowds of 10 thousand plus more times a year than rallycross has in the UK for decades!
And by the waym, the autosport show is now more of a trade and industry show than anything else, the prices Haymarket charge for stalls are an outrage and rallycross would be lumped in with the otehr minority sports in the hall of death!! Unless you wanna pay through the odds, and what are you really gonna get out of it anyway, stock cars have got naff all after spending a lot or a little!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1734985)   #5
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey chunder, no offence intended. In the weekends when there is no rallycross I'm usually watching short oval action in the Midlands. Rallycross could learn a hell of a lot from stock car promoters. Rallycross is supposed to be an international FIA sport and should promote itself as least as effectively as regional 'fun formulas', such as Rebels who always have a good presence at NEC.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1735076)   #6
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
The Autosport Show is one of the biggest motorsport shows in Europe and at the 2006 show there was no stand representing rallycross. I know there were one or two cars dotted around the show and there were several in the live action arena, but there was no focal point for anyone to get information about rallycross either as a spectator or competitor.

The question is are we going to have a presence at the 2007 show?
Should'nt we be pushing our sport at events like this?
I definatly think we should, i tried to get something together 2 years ago but the costs were just insane, i think at the time it was 220 GBP per M*2. That was with stands i think.

Rallycross as a whole does need a point where people can publicly get information on getting started, Emails and Websites alone cant do this; There is nothing like standing infront of someone who knows what they are talking about who can answer your any query.

Anyone got a spear 10,000 Euro

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1735287)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I realise you were not having a "go" leo, just annoys me a little when people think short oval stuff is in some way a lesser formula.
I ahve been all over Europe watching rallycross and so many countries have so many ideas, in Scandijnavia they have these really cheap contact classes where people run Volvo's and Asconas and stuff, the grids are alwasy really good, ok the cars lok a bit tatty but as way of getting into the sport its great!
Supernationl is rather expensive, but what a show the cars put on there, i think something like that is a great idea on a cheaper level!

I think for rallycross the money would better spent on otehr media like trying to get on CRASH or something, the NEC is mainly about manufacturers, and I will never go back there again after the debacle of last year!
I remember talking to Arthur years back on the RT stand and it cost him a fair bit back then (early 90's) so goodness knows how much now!
The only bit you need to be in is the arena,, get Evans,Doran,Jordan,Hill,Mundy all in there and then ahve peoiple handing out little info leaflets after the arena show, its gotta help
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1735308)   #8
:) RallyX
Racer

:) RallyX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion on the Autosport show is that the Live Arena itself is brilliant for the rallycross guys..this isnt just a personal thing, its from other feedback also.... RALLYCROSS HAS TO BE ONE OF IF NOT THE BEST DISPLAYS AT THE NEC! I will admit though that the buggy things and some of the other things are definately entertaining!

Now this is Funny...'Old Rich men in cars they can hardly drive' I would love to see you drive one on a surface like at the NEC in that tight a space...Now that would be entertainment..thats if you want to see banger racing! Oh and if you can afford Big toys like them then why not, im sure you would.. Oh and just like to add..not all supercar drivers are rich..sponsorship covers a majority of the cars.

With regards to a stand at the NEC... It will be looked into with the british championship BUT as we already know it is alot of money to have a stand there.

The NEC wil definately be looked into for 2007..agreements with Live arena demos are already underway.

Last edited by :) RallyX; 11 Oct 2006 at 15:38.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1735322)   #9
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the chances of rallycross having a stand as well as being in the live action?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1735332)   #10
Racer

I mean that would be ideal to have both..getting the commentator to let all the spectators in the show know that information on the cars doing the displays is available at ** stand... That would be great...
We will have to try and see what we could do about a stand..
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1735370)   #11
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrRACING
What are the chances of rallycross having a stand as well as being in the live action?
No rallycross at Jan 2007 show, they only mix around the various disciplines. Still it's important that we have some presence there.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1735387)   #12
Racer

Shhh - PM Me details......what do you know that i dont
Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1735481)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sponsorship covers most of the cars, I very much dount my frined that the companies are anything other than the ones run by the peopl driving the cars!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1735502)   #14
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know id be willing to help man a stand and im sure there are others like me
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1735545)   #15
Racer

Chunder - UMMM....well in that case then they earnt the cars they are driving then didnt they...and i dont think the majority of supercar drivers would be able to have that many businesses going..they wouldnt have time for rallycross in that case!! Most Supercars have at least 8 sponsors!!!
Bloody hell I didnt know Dermot owned Esso!!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1735599)   #16
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all well and good having cars in the live action arena, but there needs to be a focal point for people to go to after seeing the cars in action.
The rallycross cars in action last year were great, and impressed a lot of people, but they could not find back up info at the show so potential fans were lost. Also don't forget the show is not just about fans there are also potential competitors looking for series & formulas in which to compete.

FWIW this is what I think
If all the organisations in UK and Irish rallycross got together and managed to put on a united front to show what a great sport we have, just think what an impressive stand we could have.
Costs could be shared and reps from all series could be there handing out leaflets and info.
Also if all drivers attending the show could give up a little time to be on the stand to give out advice and sign autographs, that would look good too.

These days it's all about hype and show, we are all chasing a relativly small group of competitors and fans. So if rallycross could put on a good show with plenty of information and advice it's bound push the sport forward.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1735947)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
What I mean is that I cant imagine the money they get from their sponsors really covers too much of the costs of running the cars.
It might cover a percentage but I cant imagine say O donovan bought that 306 with sponsors money, the sponsor is him!
Yes Dermot might get money from Esso but will they pay for the rebuilds at Godfreys or do they just supply fuel and lube for the car??
Pat gets a few sponsors in to add to the costs but they dont cover the costs, he is very clever with sponsors and gets more of them to put in smaller amounts.
Yes Jordan is probably sponsored but his Dad is mighty well off anyway and is also sponsored by Jogn Guest and Shell I think.
Even in the old says with Gollop and the Metro he did modt of the work on the car and yes got help from Silkolene and Ton Hire and stuff but it didnt cover the real costs of building the car and running it, it would have been money to travel, free lubricant, tyres paid for.
Sponsorship in my eyes and the way youa re looking at it is someone like Mekkonomen in Norway, they buy the car, they get a team to run it and pay a driver to drive it! And dont happen at all in rallycross European or British anymore!
Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1736963)   #18
golfvanman
Racer

golfvanman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if there is a stand at the show you can count on my support , i would willingly stand and meet the public for 4 days if it was in the interest of the growth of rallycross
Old 13 Oct 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1737100)   #19
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

likewise
Old 14 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1737615)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its surprising that one of the (possibly) most accessible forms of motorsport is not profiled at the show.

With the attraction of the Max Power types you'd think that rallycross would appeal more. I mean looning around on rough surfaces would appeal to the "hooligans" more than circuit racing. (I do mean this in the nicest possible way).
Old 14 Oct 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1737654)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have been involved through short oval racing in new initiatives to try and get new people to come and watch.
At Birmingham raceway in the town centre, after every meeting there for stock cars, the roads surrounding the place are chocked full of modifiued cars and kids, but in relaity they are not at all interested in racing! Its their scene that interests them.
I know what you eman about trying to get the Max Power element into racing, but to them its boring, they would rather gather in groups and look at Daves Impreza, then cheat the coppers on the way home.
Its a market and a scene all of its own, yes by all means try, and with rallycross you might do better coz the cars are recognisable which is huge in the tuning scene. But to infiltrate that scene you will be doing a good job.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1738814)   #22
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would help out on a stand for sure! Count me in!!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1739227)   #23
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I know what you eman about trying to get the Max Power element into racing, but to them its boring, they would rather gather in groups and look at Daves Impreza, then cheat the coppers on the way home.
Its difficult although the British Rally Championship managed to get a lot of the Leics Crusin crowd to the BRC live event at Mallory by giving them a display and track time. Perhaps rallycross could do the same? Perhaps promote a 'street legal' class (based on rallycar class regs), raise awareness of how to get involved, getting a car prepared and logbooked etc?

In an ideal world you'd hire out Brands for the weekend, offer the Max power types track time, get McRae to turn up and finish off with a live band... but all that costs money!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1739604)   #24
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
we should have a stand, cars on display, people there to sign people up/give out info.

its one of the best chances to get people to join up who are new to the sport, I joined at the NECafter talking to a few existing drivers.

No stand, no interest, no new members......fairly simple.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1739957)   #25
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
TBH, I don't think the 'Max Power' crew are interested in competeing. Whenever I have seen pics on that type of website they are more pictures of cars in the paddock (ie. engine shots and body mods) and maxed up cars in the car park, than there are of actual racing.
What we really need is more racers, that is why I think we should be at Autosport International. I fully agree with Craig's comments.
Quote:
its one of the best chances to get people to join up who are new to the sport, I joined at the NECafter talking to a few existing drivers.

No stand, no interest, no new members......fairly simple.
I'll be at the show for two days and would definately help out on a stand if we have one.