Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Feb 2024, 10:47 (Ref:4195699)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reis Race Retro 23-25 Feb 2024

Almost upon us, this year's version of the "Historic Motorsport Show" takes place on the last weekend of the month. Will MG David and Delta be back in time to set up their autojumble stall?

In other news a certain MGB is on display in the Pride of the Paddock. You are welcome to vote for it, although I have no idea what the prize is......

The category is "Classics of the Track".

• Peter Mallett – 1965 MGB Roadster
• Henry Hardiment – 1964 Austin Mini Cooper S
• James Bott – 1952 Jaguar XK120
• James Williams – 1976 Hillman Imp
• Derek Drinkwater – 1961 Chevrolet Impala

There are three other categories each with five cars.

Who's going?
Old 8 Feb 2024, 13:29 (Ref:4195724)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Almost upon us, this year's version of the "Historic Motorsport Show" takes place on the last weekend of the month. Will MG David and Delta be back in time to set up their autojumble stall?

In other news a certain MGB is on display in the Pride of the Paddock. You are welcome to vote for it, although I have no idea what the prize is......

The category is "Classics of the Track".

• Peter Mallett – 1965 MGB Roadster
• Henry Hardiment – 1964 Austin Mini Cooper S
• James Bott – 1952 Jaguar XK120
• James Williams – 1976 Hillman Imp
• Derek Drinkwater – 1961 Chevrolet Impala

There are three other categories each with five cars.

Who's going?
I'm going on the Friday Peter, will try and vote for your MGB then.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 13:37 (Ref:4195725)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Used to go every year, usually with Paul D of this parish and my race-car sharing mate - as the traditional "season opener" - more like an opportunity to meet up with old mates for a few hours, but as we aren't racing any more I'm not sure I have the motivation to drag myself down the M6. It used to be a good day out, though......
Old 8 Feb 2024, 13:47 (Ref:4195728)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm going on the Friday Peter, will try and vote for your MGB then.
Good stuff, I don't know if I have to be there all three days but I expect to be there all day Friday.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 13:54 (Ref:4195731)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Good stuff, I don't know if I have to be there all three days but I expect to be there all day Friday.
OK Peter, I'll look out for you. (To help recognition I will have a pink Carnation under my right arm and a rolled up copy of The Financial Times in my lapel!)
Old 8 Feb 2024, 14:33 (Ref:4195742)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going Sunday with MiniMM. Will vote for your car Peter.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Feb 2024, 16:07 (Ref:4195757)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are multiple postal votes allowed, as seems to be the norm now in mayoral elections and the like?
Old 8 Feb 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4195761)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Shh, I told you not to mention postal votes!
Old 8 Feb 2024, 17:20 (Ref:4195769)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’m not back until 21 st and David is couple of days later . We will give it a miss . I am going to have my own “ bits in the shed “ autojumble March 16 th . More info later ?
Old 9 Feb 2024, 09:28 (Ref:4195851)   #10
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I will be there. Heading south on the m6 on Thursday pm. Show on Friday and watch the rally on Saturday mornng and then head home.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 14:19 (Ref:4195890)   #11
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Used to go every year, usually with Paul D of this parish and my race-car sharing mate - as the traditional "season opener" - more like an opportunity to meet up with old mates for a few hours, but as we aren't racing any more I'm not sure I have the motivation to drag myself down the M6. It used to be a good day out, though......

Yeah, we haven't been since before all the Covid malarkey have we?

I always liked to have a browse around the competition car auction, just to see all the cars I can't afford! Very occasionally, there's one I might be able to afford... although it's pretty rare that happens, especially if it's both one I could afford and would actually want!

So I might be tempted out again Richard, if you & Steve fancied it, although it sounds like maybe not...?
Old 9 Feb 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4195917)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
For you, Paul, make your choice.

https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/ra...on-122/ipp-100
Collectors (nice L'Tina!): https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/ra...on-122/ipp-100
Competition cars (nice RS500!): https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/ra...on-112/ipp-100
Old 9 Feb 2024, 17:13 (Ref:4195920)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
For you, Paul, make your choice.

Competition cars (nice RS500!): https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/ra...on-112/ipp-100
I see Mike's 'Lairy Canary' is up for sale in the competition cars. Not that it looks the same (or as good) now with its new colour scheme.

https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/19...l=22106&pp=100
Old 9 Feb 2024, 17:23 (Ref:4195922)   #14
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I see Mike's 'Lairy Canary' is up for sale in the competition cars. Not that it looks the same (or as good) now with its new colour scheme.

Your opinion seems to be in-line with the rest of us.

I like the way they say "built by the Jordan Racing Team". Surely that should be re-hashed by the Jordan Racing Team (or similar, I'm being polite)"?
Old 9 Feb 2024, 18:20 (Ref:4195933)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Well there's nothing wrong with the first lines of the description IMO.

Never heard (not a suprise!) about this one with interesting story: https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/19...l=22191&pp=100
Old 9 Feb 2024, 19:13 (Ref:4195940)   #16
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Yep, that one's definitely in the category of would want, can't afford!
Old 9 Feb 2024, 19:36 (Ref:4195943)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What about a Mexico with an Opel red top engine?
Old 9 Feb 2024, 19:46 (Ref:4195947)   #18
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What about a Mexico with an Opel red top engine?
That one would also be OK - as would the Mk2 RS000 X-pack with the 296BHP Zetec motor. Seems like an exciting prospect? I suspect it may sell for more than the estimate...
Old 10 Feb 2024, 20:39 (Ref:4196086)   #19
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will probably give it a miss this year, been steadily getting very average this past few, so will gladly miss it.
Old 14 Feb 2024, 06:36 (Ref:4196626)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
That one would also be OK - as would the Mk2 RS000 X-pack with the 296BHP Zetec motor. Seems like an exciting prospect? I suspect it may sell for more than the estimate...
Really nice looking car, as is the Mexico, but I just don’t like engine swaps, unless they are in the “Special Saloons” category.
As for going for more than the estimate, I will be interested to see how the auction goes, as I think that in the real world the prices of used cars are going down a bit.
Not sure whether I will go to race retro or not yet; I usually do but I am about to start a contract in Portsmouth and working away in the week is not compatible with being out all day at a car show at a weekend (and is probably not compatible with a couple of events I want to do either,sadly)
Old 14 Feb 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4196737)   #21
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm - we've just got a date to have solar panels installed - on 23 February - and we normally went on a Friday. I'll have to have a chat with Paul D
Old 18 Feb 2024, 18:05 (Ref:4197183)   #22
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick bump, here's the running list for the live rally stage next weekend. A stunning range of all ages makes and models so should be a great weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
rr1.png   rr2.png   rr3.png  

rr4.png  
Old 18 Feb 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4197187)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've had my plans changed. I'll be parking my MGB on Thursday, then returning on Sunday for the day. I'll try to take time to see the rally stage and hopefully chat with a few peeps there.
Old 18 Feb 2024, 19:16 (Ref:4197188)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
If I go it will be Sunday . Hope to catch up Pete
Old 18 Feb 2024, 23:01 (Ref:4197202)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm there Sunday with MiniMM so hopefully we can catch up and hear about the NZ adventure.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk