Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Mar 2004, 13:45 (Ref:904383)   #1
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the best sounding Group C car ever?

It has to be a toss up between the Mazda 787B, Sauber Mercedes C9 and Jaguar XJR-12? Discuss.
Old 13 Mar 2004, 18:41 (Ref:904560)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
the Aston AMR1 has to be one of my favourites
Old 13 Mar 2004, 19:14 (Ref:904576)   #3
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it has to be the mazda 787B it had such a nice loud sound you could here it coming way before you saw it
Old 13 Mar 2004, 20:03 (Ref:904614)   #4
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately the Mazda quad rotor, rip roaring, ear piercing, shrillest engine ever. Apart from the BRM V16, but thats another discipline.

PRF
Old 14 Mar 2004, 08:34 (Ref:904847)   #5
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by PRF
Definately the Mazda quad rotor, rip roaring, ear piercing, shrillest engine ever. Apart from the BRM V16, but thats another discipline.
PRF
I agree, but it was a bit painful. I'm certain my ears lost several decibels. The most terrific were the little 727 C2 and their 2 rotors engines.

I liked also the Mercedes and Aston Martin V8, the V12 Jaguar, the big Cosworth 4 litres. All V6 or F6 turbos smooth sounds helped for the siesta !

Last edited by PascaLM; 14 Mar 2004 at 08:35.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 09:18 (Ref:904876)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Again, an easy one, definitely the Mazda. But listening to the Jags in the dark on the Mulsanne was also pretty stunning......
Old 14 Mar 2004, 09:40 (Ref:904897)   #7
Alfonso de Orleans
Racer

Spain
Near the Jerez race track, Spain
Alfonso de Orleans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda...can't really rememer any other, still getting over the shock of the decibles. I think a car like that would be illegal these days. Now that I think about it. Didn't they reduce it to a tri-rotor for later races because of the noise, or was it an excuse.

Pity, it sounded so great.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 19:26 (Ref:905197)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alfonso Orleans
Mazda...can't really rememer any other, still getting over the shock of the decibles. I think a car like that would be illegal these days. Now that I think about it. Didn't they reduce it to a tri-rotor for later races because of the noise, or was it an excuse.

Pity, it sounded so great.
I read 4 rotors are now allowed.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 23:01 (Ref:906458)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Mazda? It had a distinctive sound, but I am not sure it was pleasant. A damn shame it was so reliable

The Jags were great, always comforting to hear and feel them continue to circulate as you grabbed a couple of hours...

Other than that 12s always do it for me, although I love how they mix in 6s, 8s and even 10s with it now. I'm not really a fan of 4s, turbocharged or not.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 23:33 (Ref:906512)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I read 4 rotors are now allowed.
Music from Dante's Inferno! Bring them on! Send emails, get Mazda (and the boss Ford) to buy into it!

My first car was a 12A two rotor Mazda, that had been flogged half to death. I took care of the other half, but what fun! I have never ever driven another engine that enjoyed and offered so much back when it received a cool intake charge!

Old 15 Mar 2004, 23:47 (Ref:906518)   #11
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit that I don't care for the sound of a rotary, but I do love the sound of a racing V-12!