Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2001, 18:52 (Ref:152197)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andretti says: Montoya unbeatable

From DailyF1.com

Quote:

Andretti backs Montoya

Mario Andretti, former World Formula One and Indy 500 champion, believes Juan-Pablo Montoya could be an ‘unbeatable’ force in the years to come.

Williams driver Montoya won his maiden victory in Monza at the Italian Grand Prix and has led during seven of the races this year, as well as securing three pole positions.

Andretti, who also watched Montoya win the 1999 CART title and score a memorable win at the Indy 500 last year, believes the Colombian has the abilities, courage, and strong will to make it to the very top of Grand Prix racing.

‘He has the qualities of a champion in every form,’ said the 61-year-old. ‘He's brave, he's smart and he's as fast as they make them.

‘He knows he's as good as anyone out there, including the Schumachers. These two (Ferrari driver Michael and Williams driver Ralf) had better watch out.

‘Now that he's won a race, he might be unbeatable.’

Andretti won his F1 title in 1978, driving for the Lotus outfit.
Uhn.. The great Mario Andretti. Comin' from this guy, I just have to say amem !!!

Old 27 Sep 2001, 19:05 (Ref:152205)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well if Andretti says it, then it MUST be true Didn't he say the same thing about his son when he went to F1
Old 27 Sep 2001, 21:07 (Ref:152316)   #3
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't remember what Mario said on Michael, his son, but I do certainly remember what Michael Andretti said about Montoya...
Very painful when your dad is just says compliments on someone you hate so much.

Wise men do reckon their errors... Andretti began to loose his faith on Montoya couple of months ago, but now I see he's back again.

Inigo, sooner or later, YOU WILL BELEIVE.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 21:08 (Ref:152318)   #4
ginazimski
Rookie

ginazimski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya drives like Senna he is fearless And the Williams BMW is the car to beat.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 21:15 (Ref:152325)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by facco

Inigo, sooner or later, YOU WILL BELEIVE.

Hehehe, I hope to heck that you're right and JPM does spice things up next year.

These days F1 is so predictable, I have more fun attending imaginary parties than discussing F1
Old 27 Sep 2001, 22:05 (Ref:152354)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Nobody is, or will be unbeatable. If the other guys don't beat him, the launch control will.
To be realistic about things, there are many variables these days among the top cars. The winners' chances for next year will be controlled by the tyres and reliability of the engine more so than any driver's ability. There is little doubt in my mind that MSch's success this year had a lot to do with the reliability and superiority of the Ferrari engine and chassis, which contributed immensely to his confidence. This was helped in no small amount by the non-launch control of some cars, unreliability of engines, fuel rig goofs, jack on the grid antics, and non starts and stalls of other cars. In fact, I wish someone would check the records to see how many cars in how many races buggered up that were in a position to beat the Ferrari Ace this year.
Lady Luck was indeed smiling on MSch this year.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 27 Sep 2001 at 22:07.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 22:58 (Ref:152379)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to take issue with the Senna comparison. Even in his early days, Ayrton seldom looked like he was on the ragged edge. Yes, he had his fair share of rookie accidents, but they so often sidled up to you while you were watching him, when you least expected it.

Montoya's style is far more chaotic. This is not a criticism. I like chaotic! You get the impression that the car is being made to do just a little bit more than it's comfortable with. You might chuckle at the comparison I personally would make. Montoya to me is driving far more in the mould of Mansell than Senna!
Old 27 Sep 2001, 23:14 (Ref:152383)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Montoya's style is far more chaotic. This is not a criticism. I like chaotic! You get the impression that the car is being made to do just a little bit more than it's comfortable with. You might chuckle at the comparison I personally would make. Montoya to me is driving far more in the mould of Mansell than Senna!
I haven't seen this, but then it's hard to at this distance... but if it's right, give me even more Montoya!
Old 27 Sep 2001, 23:34 (Ref:152392)   #9
facco
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

Hehehe, I hope to heck that you're right and JPM does spice things up next year.

These days F1 is so predictable, I have more fun attending imaginary parties than discussing F1
I hope so too... F1 needs some more spice, and JPM is the guy...

The gravel trap forum party is good, isn't it?

Last edited by facco; 27 Sep 2001 at 23:35.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 23:46 (Ref:152398)   #10
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been telling you guys all year that Monty is the man, good to see so many now have the blinkers off

And where are you Aggy ? Sick of being wRONg there matey ?
Old 27 Sep 2001, 23:57 (Ref:152402)   #11
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If anyone here had the chance to watch Montoya when he was in CART the first thing you would remember is his almost super human ability of car control .
I remember watching him from an in-car camera going almost opposite lock on the wheel at 240 MPH when he hit turbulence from other cars at Fontana and never backing off the throttle . He is the real deal..he has talent up the wazzoo and he will get results .
Old 28 Sep 2001, 01:02 (Ref:152417)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always find it amusing to read statements from the CART guys claiming one of their own is so-good, etc etc etc. If I recall correctly Andretti referred to his son as a champion born for F1. That one sure turned out as he expected

Montoya is talented, fast and exciting. But neither he nor anyone else is unbeatable. Maybe the opposition at CART could`nt beat him but in F1 - its a different story altogether.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 01:10 (Ref:152420)   #13
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Nobody is, or will be unbeatable. To be realistic about things, there are many variables these days among the top cars. Lady Luck was indeed smiling on MSch this year.

vb.......remember..
you were one of us who were actually following this WDC season.

you have to put yourself in mario's pov....
probably just came out of 'Driven' screening, had a little
too much diet-coke.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 02:22 (Ref:152436)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
I always find it amusing to read statements from the CART guys claiming one of their own is so-good, etc etc etc. If I recall correctly Andretti referred to his son as a champion born for F1. That one sure turned out as he expected
I consider Mario to be a fairly good judge of talent when not compromised by paternal loyalties.

As I have said numerours times, Montoya is a rare talent, but I will also say that just because he has finally won his his first GP that the wins are not going to tally up as though no one else is on the track.

JPM still has a lot to learn and a lot to prove, but its going to be an exciting show. And I am convinced that he will be one of the great ones.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 02:31 (Ref:152439)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by botsquad

vb.......remember..
you were one of us who were actually following this WDC season.

you have to put yourself in mario's pov....
probably just came out of 'Driven' screening, had a little
too much diet-coke.
I will admit that I liked JPM even before he joined the F1 circus, and I predicted at the time that he would add that bit of fresh air to F1. Let's be sensible, there are at least 10 drivers racing now who, if put into a winning car like Ferrari or Williams or McLaren this year, could have won. Making blanket statements is just inviting to be shot down.
Perhaps if I was only allowed to pick the same driver to win every race in Gerards Predictions Competition for next year, my choice would be either MSch or JPM. So, what's your choice?
Old 28 Sep 2001, 10:10 (Ref:152546)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well once again I'm at 180 degrees to most of you.

In CART I thought Jaun was over rated. Alex Zinardi was the better racer. Or so I thought.

In F1 he was teamed with Ralfie.

Suddenly the guy looked good! Having won a GP in his first year he is great in my books. Plus, Ralf has won two, Jaun has won one. See I can count. But for cruel luck it would be three : two. Jaun's way!
Old 28 Sep 2001, 13:43 (Ref:152673)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlike many who have suddenly jumped on the JPM bandwagon because they now realise he is seriously talented, I've stated the entire time I've been here that the guy is WDC-material. Incredibly fast, superhuman car-control, he might not have the finesse of some, but he makes up for it with balls-to-the-wall style.

I now want to hear what excuses fellow forumers like Aggy now have for thinking JPM is not talented when he's now won in everything he has put his bum in, and except for F1, won a championship?

BTW Moffy, Ralf has won three races this year!
Old 28 Sep 2001, 13:54 (Ref:152679)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Again... he's won ONE race... That's the same number that Panis and Barichello have - hardly WDC material based on that... We'll see
Old 28 Sep 2001, 14:22 (Ref:152693)   #19
facco
Racer

Quote:
Again... he's won ONE race... That's the same number that Panis and Barichello have - hardly WDC material based on that... We'll see
Again....sooner or later,YOU WILL BELEIVE.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 15:50 (Ref:152723)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VIVA JPM AND ALL HIS JMP-NESS!!!! Thank you for listening.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 16:06 (Ref:152730)   #21
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Pick the same driver to win every race in Gerards Predictions Competition for next year, my choice would be either MSch or JPM. So, what's your choice?
i have been a jpm worshiper since his first cart drive at long beach.
he just kicked the whole field in the butt.

the guy...despite what some have posted here....
was....never a cart driver....

he was an f1 driver, slumming for a couple of years,
courtesy of a rare frank williams mistake.

he did, however, raise the bar at cart.....
now they have..scott dixon..townsend bell.. etc..

as for next years f1 season..
like you said in your previous post....f1 has too many
variables to make those kind of predictions.

but ill still take tgf......
this weekend should be lots of fun...
Old 28 Sep 2001, 16:28 (Ref:152742)   #22
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well if Andretti says it, then it MUST be true Didn't he say the same thing about his son when he went to F1
Did he say the same thing about his son? I doubt it. If he did, he must have been blinded by his love for his child. One think I am sure he said abou it was the Senna would be a very tough man to go against.

Mario is a wise man and what he said about Formula Juan is just a confirmation of it.

Tags
jpm