Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 24 Oct 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2779377)   #1
leftycobra
Rookie

leftycobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help with Go-Kart track layout

Hi, I am new to this forum that I just found.
I don't know anything about track design.
Can anybody help me with a go-kart track design
with a track length varying from 200m (600') to 350m (1200').
The track is an outdoor or indoor layout (it's a non-permanent Go-kart track layout). I am looking for simple track layout, enjoyable to race on.

I would appreciate your input seeing that you guys are expert in the track design field.

Thank you very much
Old 24 Oct 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2779503)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Few questions:

This is being built, correct?

If so, where? Can we have any more details?

I can certainly try sketching one up for you.

Selby
Old 24 Oct 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2779786)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ok here's one I just sketched up. It's 347 meters. Clockwise. Start-finish is where the blue shelter is.

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
kart2.jpg   kart1.jpg   t1.jpg  

t1 2.jpg   t3.jpg   final t.jpg  

Old 24 Oct 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2779874)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err... without any knowledge of the real site? Pretty bold, I'd say...

bio
Old 24 Oct 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2779887)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
haha It was worth a stab, I guess...

Still, it's at least something on the table. Plus it's given me some more practice, and has lead me to create Rye House karting circuit

Selby
Old 25 Oct 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2779948)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
350 mts is quite short, most karting tracks are 800-1000mts but I have raced in a half carting track approximately that long and it is fun for as long as it is a simple affair with mot more than 3 or 4 turns.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2779998)   #7
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Err... without any knowledge of the real site? Pretty bold, I'd say...

bio
I know there is no information about the site but the twist is it's a "non permanent" track project, meaning it's a "movable track".

So for example it can be one day in a parking lot, the other day in a vacant lot, another day on an ice rink and on and on.

This is the reason why I tried to stay within this limit because most of the time this is the type of area you can cover. And I need to add that it's not something aimed at hard core racer, but more to reach the masses and create the love of the race...

Last edited by leftycobra; 25 Oct 2010 at 06:22.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2779999)   #8
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
haha It was worth a stab, I guess...

Still, it's at least something on the table. Plus it's given me some more practice, and has lead me to create Rye House karting circuit

Selby
Thank you very much!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 06:03 (Ref:2780002)   #9
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
350 mts is quite short, most karting tracks are 800-1000mts but I have raced in a half carting track approximately that long and it is fun for as long as it is a simple affair with mot more than 3 or 4 turns.
This is definitely the reason why I ask advice to expert as you guys.
I agree that if there is to many turns, it becomes let's say not fun.
I am trying to create a bank of tracks that are fun, fast or If I can say give the impression of speed while being safe and really enjoyable for everybody.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 06:14 (Ref:2780009)   #10
leftycobra
Rookie

Another details

The average total area varies between 1500 square meter (16140 square feet) and 3000 square meter (32280 square feet).

I hope I make myself understandable.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2780073)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Lefty,
although it's really flattering to hear, sadly we are not experts - we're just guys who like doing this. some of us take it more seriously, some of us keep more the fun aspect in focus. Some of us have been doing it for quite a while with tons of track designs in stock, some of us have been more conservative. But we're not experts.

This non-permanent thing - how does it happen? How do you "set up" the track at a given location? I'm really interested.

bio
Old 25 Oct 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2780075)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycobra View Post
Another details

The average total area varies between 1500 square meter (16140 square feet) and 3000 square meter (32280 square feet).

I hope I make myself understandable.
The dimensions of the sides of the site (assuming it's a rectangle) would me more of a help, I guess. 1500 square meters can be a roughly 39*39, but also a 186*8 meter site - a whole different story.

Of course, with a non-permanent site it's hard top provide such data, I know

bio
Old 25 Oct 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2780478)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So for example it can be one day in a parking lot, the other day in a vacant lot, another day on an ice rink and on and on.
Quote:
Another details

OK picking up on the Ice Rink option as having hard dimensions...

NHL rinks 85*200 ft (26*61m) gives an area of 17000 SqFt (1586m2). The corner radius is 28ft (8.5m)
Olympic rinks 98*200 ft (30*61m) gives an area of 19600 SqFt (1830m2) The Corner Radius is 14ft (4.2m)

That should give some ideas regarding indoor circuits at least.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 25 Oct 2010 at 23:17.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2780499)   #14
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I know there is no information about the site but the twist is it's a "non permanent" track project, meaning it's a "movable track".

This is the reason why I tried to stay within this limit because most of the time this is the type of area you can cover. And I need to add that it's not something aimed at hard core racer, but more to reach the masses and create the love of the race...
I think you only need the site and a whole lot of orange cones and used tires, and some imagination, 3000 sq/m would allow for a nice indoor/outdoor facility. I'll try to more or less give you an idea.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2780515)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I still don't get it - if there isn't a area with fixed dimensions then how could anyone come up with a one-size-fits-all track layout? That just won't work this way I'm afraid...

bio
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:07 (Ref:2780529)   #16
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
OK picking up on the Ice Rink option as having hard dimensions...

NHL rinks 85*200 ft (26*61m) gives an area of 17000 SqFt (1586m2). The corner radius is 28ft (8.5m)
Olympic rinks 98*200 ft (30*61m) gives an area of 19600 SqFt (1830m2) The Corner Radius is 14ft (4.2m)

That should give some ideas regarding indoor circuits at least.
Yes You can use the NHL dimensions mostly because they are ice rink used principally for Hockey.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2780531)   #17
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Lefty,
although it's really flattering to hear, sadly we are not experts - we're just guys who like doing this. some of us take it more seriously, some of us keep more the fun aspect in focus. Some of us have been doing it for quite a while with tons of track designs in stock, some of us have been more conservative. But we're not experts.

This non-permanent thing - how does it happen? How do you "set up" the track at a given location? I'm really interested.

bio
Ok so the set-up is based around movable road blocks made out of Plastic. I am sure you know them, they are mostly between 1 m and 2 m long and you can had water or sand in them to give them more weight.
So the thing is you come up on a place, let's say a parking lot, you build up the track with the blocks which act at the same time as safety markers.
you set a pit area attached to the track. you add extra fences around the track, for crowd control and there you go, you have your non-permanent track ready to go.

I forgot to add, make sure you have all the permits and required authorization from your local authorities and the owner of the place where you plan to run your track.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2780535)   #18
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
The dimensions of the sides of the site (assuming it's a rectangle) would me more of a help, I guess. 1500 square meters can be a roughly 39*39, but also a 186*8 meter site - a whole different story.

Of course, with a non-permanent site it's hard top provide such data, I know

bio
Exactly, with a non-permanent site it's really hard to provide such data.
So I assume it's a rectangle and act accordingly to the reality of the site.

ps: bio you have extensive knowledge in track designing as others guys of this forum, Hat off to you man.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2780537)   #19
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
I think you only need the site and a whole lot of orange cones and used tires, and some imagination, 3000 sq/m would allow for a nice indoor/outdoor facility. I'll try to more or less give you an idea.
Thank You LuiggiSpeed

ps: what about your track project in Porto-Rico?
Old 26 Oct 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2780538)   #20
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
I still don't get it - if there isn't a area with fixed dimensions then how could anyone come up with a one-size-fits-all track layout? That just won't work this way I'm afraid...

bio
You are absolutely right but at the same time I am trying to create a bank of tracks that can be adapt to the area, meaning adjust to the actual dimensions of the site. But you can still keep in mind a rough area of 3000 square meter maximum and plan accordingly using for ex. 186*15.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2780953)   #21
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thank You LuiggiSpeed

ps: what about your track project in Porto-Rico?

You're welcome, the project in Puerto Rico is still in the funding stages, I'm also working on a steering committee to try and make a big push and start The Big One but it's a matter of knocking doors and making proposals and presentations. We have some potential listeners, hope they understand what kind of benefits PR is going to have if we have ,say a FIA class 3 circuit or a GP/SBK level.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2780954)   #22
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Ok so the set-up is based around movable road blocks made out of Plastic. I am sure you know them, they are mostly between 1 m and 2 m long and you can had water or sand in them to give them more weight.
So the thing is you come up on a place, let's say a parking lot, you build up the track with the blocks which act at the same time as safety markers.
you set a pit area attached to the track. you add extra fences around the track, for crowd control and there you go, you have your non-permanent track ready to go.

I forgot to add, make sure you have all the permits and required authorization from your local authorities and the owner of the place where you plan to run your track.
That's a pretty clever idea!! me thinks you can have a "generic" circuit to lay out in those parking lots, let me tell you I've had the same idea to at least ride our bikes like that.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:29 (Ref:2780969)   #23
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
That's a pretty clever idea!! me thinks you can have a "generic" circuit to lay out in those parking lots, let me tell you I've had the same idea to at least ride our bikes like that.
Thank you and Good luck for your project
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2780972)   #24
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Okay leftycobra, given the dimensions you stated(around 60 mt x 30 mt) , you shall not have dreams of complicated tracks with rumble strips and different kind of curves, but you can have a simple affair that measures 257 mt long x ~6 mt wide track,pretty close to what you stated in your opening post. I've kept it really simple so that there's some track to ride given the size of the project, so I tried to use up the space efficiently, without falling into a squarish thing(I did anyway). The orange represents, of course, those orange plastic barriers you will have to shape up. I gave ~2 mt space between lanes, I don't think you will need anything that resembles a escape area or run off since your little karts won't be traveling at anything resembling high speed, I would say put some tire barriers between certain parts that I have painted a little darker out and you should be good to go, IMO.No such thing as pit lanes, just a safe point to exit and entry so the fun never stops. As soon as you and your staff get the knack of assembling this track you will be rocking all those shopping malls near your area!

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 27 Oct 2010 at 02:01.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 04:18 (Ref:2780995)   #25
leftycobra
Rookie

Quote:
Okay leftycobra, given the dimensions you stated(around 60 mt x 30 mt) , you shall not have dreams of complicated tracks with rumble strips and different kind of curves, but you can have a simple affair that measures 257 mt long x ~6 mt wide track,pretty close to what you stated in your opening post. I've kept it really simple so that there's some track to ride given the size of the project, so I tried to use up the space efficiently, without falling into a squarish thing(I did anyway). The orange represents, of course, those orange plastic barriers you will have to shape up. I gave ~2 mt space between lanes, I don't think you will need anything that resembles a escape area or run off since your little karts won't be traveling at anything resembling high speed, I would say put some tire barriers between certain parts that I have painted a little darker out and you should be good to go, IMO.No such thing as pit lanes, just a safe point to exit and entry so the fun never stops. As soon as you and your staff get the knack of assembling this track you will be rocking all those shopping malls near your area!

Thank you very much LuiggiSpeed.
I am thinking about "limiting" the kart to 30 miles/h (50 km/h) so they are
fast enough to enjoy the track while being safe for everybody (mums, children, dads and elders !!!!)