Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Mar 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2855410)   #1
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi to NASCAR

Kimi Raikkonens joining NASCAR http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90331
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2855415)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm impressed he's taking the proper route by first going to one of the feeder championships, lesser drivers than him have gone straight to the Cup Series with very mixed results.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2855424)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Remember when the Kimi fans laughed at Monty going over there?

It's good to see him give it a try anyways!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2855439)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I'm impressed he's taking the proper route by first going to one of the feeder championships, lesser drivers than him have gone straight to the Cup Series with very mixed results.
Agree with you on that, experience seems to be the key when moving into the Cup Series.

Overall, Im not exactly sure how Kimi will fit into the whole NASCAR enviroment. But one things for sure, it will be fun to watch.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2855449)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great - although he complained of the predicrbility and fullness of racing in F1. I bet the traffic and higher average speed will really make him enjoy it, I will see everyrace he is in.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2855480)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's cool. I've always liked Kimi and wish him the best.

His name will be quite the challenge from most Americans. We'll have to work on his new name.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2855494)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi Kardashian?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2855513)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Interesting to see how he will do, but two things:
a) Teaming up with Gillet? I am not sure if that's a good thing.
b) Is he capable of handling all the PR stuff?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2855577)   #9
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH, I'm not surprised that he made the decision, because I remember a Jayski article from 2009, with Kimi saying that "I could run in Nascar". I didn't think much at the time, but now.....yeah.

Hope he does well, but seeing how he's going to follow a similar path into the series like Montoya and Piquet have, he should have no problem performing......

But, it's the team I am concerned about. A new startup with Gillett backing it? We all know what almost happened to Richard Petty last year when he went financially bust....

Last edited by MJ_N_09; 29 Mar 2011 at 19:59.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2855635)   #10
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
b) Is he capable of handling all the PR stuff?
"I'd like to thank me for winning this race."
Old 29 Mar 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2855646)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Kimi will be eating ice cream in the pits with Harry Hogge.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 01:09 (Ref:2855675)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember an old Autosport? splash where Kimi was interviewed and he had a go at NASCAR. It was shortly after Montoya had gone over there and I suppose he wanted to have a dig at Montoya.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2855678)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi is a stockcar?

Why not? Will be interesting to see how he gets on.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2855681)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That's cool. I've always liked Kimi and wish him the best.

His name will be quite the challenge from most Americans. We'll have to work on his new name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Kimi Kardashian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Kimi will be eating ice cream in the pits with Harry Hogge.

You two guys, with your jokes! Good stuff.

Kenny Reinhardt.

Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2855728)   #15
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM will be looking forward to it.

"Montoya about Raikkonen" on youtube gives an idea (language!!)

Last edited by Rick; 30 Mar 2011 at 07:18. Reason: might get in trouble!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2855768)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Their relationship wasn't one of the worst we've seen in F1 history, but that's all in the past. They were just completely opposite characters even if their actual driving styles were broadly similar (all the more reason to wonder why the heck it didn't work out for them at Mclaren.)

JPM didn't get on famously with many F1 drivers though remember!!

Be nice to see the two of them drafting around Daytona in a couple of years time.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2855770)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'd certainly make more of an effort to follow Nascar if Kimi was there. Though as a Liverpool supporter, I'm not to keen on him being involved with George Gillett!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2855787)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nor is Ray Evernham:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto123.com
Ray Evernham, a former partner of Foster Gillett at Richard Petty Motorsports was a little bit astounded when he learned of the rumor of Kimi Raikkonen coming to NASCAR with a new team owned by Foster Gillett. "I really don't know why Kimi would partner with people who continually fail with sports franchises," Evernham told Auto123.com. "I don't know how they could leave with so many unpaid bills and return to the sport," Evernham added. Evernham says he was not paid over $19USD million and brought a lawsuit against his former partner earlier this year in a state court in North Carolina.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2855879)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
But what about Nascar's substance consume policy? :P
Old 30 Mar 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2855900)   #20
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
April 1st has come early this year?
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2855923)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But what about Nascar's substance consume policy? :P
Ask Randy LaJoie and Jeremy Mayfield.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2856148)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Montoya and Kimi exactly fell out. They were hardly buddies, because Kimi is mute, but hatred? Nah.

I reckon JPM would welcome Kimi to NASCAR quite honestly.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2856163)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I reckon JPM would welcome Kimi to NASCAR quite honestly.
With Taz and Kenny, I agree that John Paul would want all the fer-ners he (and they) can get.

It's going to be great. I hope he moves up quick and succeeds where Jackie V and Mr Ashely Judd failed.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2856164)   #24
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to seeing his first truck race, i think he could d very well if he drops WRC and get stuck into the world or NASCAR.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:43 (Ref:2856183)   #25
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is only doing 8 wrc events this year, so plenty of time for trucks...