Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1246872)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IRL Trying to Come to Canada - Impact on CC

As per usual, TedN found a terrific link and he posted this in the IRL forum.
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...53613-sun.html

Essentially the IRL is making moves towards Canada. What can CC do about this? If the IRL did land a Canadian race, how would this effect CC? Other CC related thoughs? The fact that the track is actively looking for potential competition for CC is pretty explosive.

PS. No whining about the forum divisions and lets keep this more CC specific!

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Mar 2005 at 17:29.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1246897)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Canada and Mexico have been strongholds for ChampCar.

There are signs they could be losing a bit of that in Mexico - and if they lost Montreal it would be a big blow.

The problem with ChampCar, in my opinion, is that it does not have a vision anymore - it doesn't seem to know what it is. It's very hard then to have a long term direction.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1246938)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most likely case for 2006 regarding Mexico is that Lavin and Leon or Richards will be in ChampCars, Jourdain in Busch, Dominguez in F1, and 1 race in each of those championships will be in Mexico. ChampCar would be unlikely to have a huge advantage over other championships there anymore, especially as the first Grand Prix in Mexico since 1992 would get such big publicity.

Canada is a slightly different story. There seems to be mcuh more hostility towards the IRL than in Canada, and it's likely that there would still be 2 or 3 ChampCar races, with PT and Tag more likely to win races than Pat in the IRL. I can't see IRl overhauling ChampCars in the cold north, but it's posisble that the schism and divided nature of the market will see both lose out to F1.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1246948)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The article though hints that a Montreal race could lead to Toronto and possibly up to three Canadian races - that would only be achievable if those races fell off the ChampCar calendar.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1246960)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt this will happen. Champ Car is big in Canada. Even though Partick Carpentier left and is now in the other series.
If Montreal was to switch to the irl, then I can't see it being as popular as Champ Car, imho.
And Montreal is a great track, one of my personaly favourites, I just hope Champ Car doesn't lose it.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1246989)   #6
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, first they pickup Patrick then they try for the Montreal race. Nope, never saw that coming.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1246995)   #7
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
I agree with you Luke and Boots, I can't see this happening either, irl is not regarded all that highly in Canada. But, it sure would be depressing if this sick nightmare came true.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1246997)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think calling it a "sick nightmare" is a bit extreme.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1247010)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see where Cowboy is comming from, I doubt this will happen, if it does I can't see it being popular as the Champ Car race, and I certainly hope if we lose Montreal it won't cause a chain reaction, like it has done with most Champ Car races down the past, where the irl has taken over the events.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1247027)   #10
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article seems to be saying that the track promoter Norman Legault more than anything wants to see race events there more than just twice a year. Can hardley fault the man for that. Race dates in June, July and August would certainly be a boon for Canadian racing
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1247030)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
The article seems to be saying that the track promoter Norman Legault more than anything wants to see race events there more than just twice a year. Can hardley fault the man for that. Race dates in June, July and August would certainly be a boon for Canadian racing

Champ Car, F1 and ALMS, would be pefect for Montreal. And if the ALMS was to partner the Champ Car event it would certainly help Champ Car sucure the event.

Last edited by luke; 8 Mar 2005 at 19:42.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1247040)   #12
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I think calling it a "sick nightmare" is a bit extreme.
That is the nicest way I could say how I feel about the irl. But it is just my opinion.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1247050)   #13
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
That is the nicest way I could say how I feel about the irl. But it is just my opinion.

Hmm we're some people who just LOVE OW RACING IN GENERAL REGARDSLESS OF WHAT SERIES, so stop this BS....
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1247055)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Originally posted by Kicking-back
The problem with ChampCar, in my opinion, is that it does not have a vision anymore - it doesn't seem to know what it is. It's very hard then to have a long term direction.
K-b, i don't want to get into a big arguement with you over CC and the IRL, but your saying that the CCWS doesn't have a vision anymore?! Well what exactly is the IRL's vision? It's all over the place, that's what it is!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1247059)   #15
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
Hmm we're some people who just LOVE OW RACING IN GENERAL REGARDSLESS OF WHAT SERIES, so stop this BS....
Relax, that is why I stated that it was just my opinion. If you like irl - good for ya, I don't so don't get all bent out of shape about it.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1247061)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
K-b, i don't want to get into a big arguement with you over CC and the IRL, but your saying that the CCWS doesn't have a vision anymore?! Well what exactly is the IRL's vision? It's all over the place, that's what it is!
Couldn't agree more Dov, the forum sub title, explains it.......'An American-based open-wheel racing series'.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1247065)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
If you like all types of OW racing then good for you, but don't tell other members what they should and shouldn't like!!!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1247074)   #18
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Dov.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1247095)   #19
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
No problem, Cowboy.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1247097)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how a day after CCWS releases an article on how KK has been looking at events in Asia that we read an IRL article about them having races in Canada. Grandstanding perhaps.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1247099)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
an IRL article about them having races in Canada.
When I see it I will believe it. (as in the actual proposed race, not the article).

Last edited by luke; 8 Mar 2005 at 20:37.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1247118)   #22
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Relax, that is why I stated that it was just my opinion. If you like irl - good for ya, I don't so don't get all bent out of shape about it.

You just don't get it, let's just move on
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1247119)   #23
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Cowboy! I think that Montreal is fishing and so is the IRL. If the bait is taken I do not see it taking Toronto and Edmonton from CCWS. Up next a street race in Ottawa for CCWS. Who knows what the schedule will be in the future, I am confident that KK and OWRS know their direction and it is to take the race to the fans. Canada has a huge fan base not a question. Problem is where is the corporate support in the form of sponsorship $$. If Korea, China and Japan come through as KK envisions with corporate sponsorships, country teams, etc.. You can see the direction!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1247123)   #24
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, IRL trying to horn in on something that's a Champcar date......that's new!

Who cares that's it's not in the United States? The vision was just a collection of words, right?

I think it's too easy for Champcar promotors these days to say "Don't want to pay us some more money huh/don't want to do exactly what WE want to do huh? OK, we'll go and chat to those IRL boys and see what they have to say about that..." and play the two sides off each other.....

It's annoying, but what CAN they do to stop it?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1247151)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

The IRL's "vision" is to have control of a series equivalent to CART of the mid nineties.

Always has been, always will be - despite what they may have claimed publicly at the time.