Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which track will be added to the 2016 WEC calendar?
Montreal 10 16.13%
Mexico City 9 14.52%
Monza 23 37.10%
Interlagos 14 22.58%
Other, .... [please name] 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Jun 2016, 23:48 (Ref:3647272)   #1076
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
But that's Indy. Is that series under an FIA sanction?
I think not but not what I meant, I meant that if it is about safety alone and not about the VIP facilities then clearly some other series have more balls than others.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3647296)   #1077
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
However those people who make the choice will use the VIP facilities but are very unlikely to use the track, drive in a race or use the public area's so lets just say in order of importance
Old 21 Jun 2016, 04:45 (Ref:3654061)   #1078
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Davidson warns WEC faces spending "ticking time bomb"

Quote:
"At the moment it’s OK, but there’s the potential, definitely, for it to spiral out of control like it did in the Group C era.”

“I didn’t know about that token system,” Davidson reacted. “But I feel like something has to happen to stop some very powerful car manufacturers involved in this series becoming embroiled in a spending war.

"It's to the detriment of other manufacturers who would like to be involved in the WEC, actually daring to put a foot into the ring.

“You want to see some lesser-funded manufacturers being able to enter WEC and having a realistic chance to run at the sharp end. Otherwise you will never see people enter this series.”

"It seems hard to be able to cap the spending in Formula 1 and we are finding ourselves entering that kind of situation here in WEC. It was fun when it started, but now it’s kind of getting a bit far along the road."

"I’m lucky to be here as a driver with three mega manufacturers fighting it out, spending a lot of money. It’s great for the drivers while it lasts, but we all know deep down it’s not going to last.

"It’s a ticking time bomb. History proves that it is.”
Old 21 Jun 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3654151)   #1079
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
3 highly complicated recovery systems and increased power levels won't make it any cheaper either...
Old 21 Jun 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3654198)   #1080
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I like Ant, he always seems to talk sense and loves racing through and through.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3654249)   #1081
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Again, raise the weight of the LMP1 cars and the ACO need to stop prioritizing things like diesel engines, hybrid systems, or whatever their flavor of the month is.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3654268)   #1082
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a long shot, but has anyone got any plans in the future to do one of the fly away races, I'm planning on visiting Japan in the next couple of years and would like to conincide that with a trip to the Fuji WEC round, has anyone done this from the UK? Contacted travel destinations to enquire if they have any plans to do a trip to Fuji but they currently don't have the interest, hopefully as the championship grows that might change!
Old 29 Jun 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3655821)   #1083
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Brundle Joins G-Drive for Remainder of WEC Season

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/a...of-wec-season/
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:49 (Ref:3655870)   #1084
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Bit of a long shot, but has anyone got any plans in the future to do one of the fly away races, I'm planning on visiting Japan in the next couple of years and would like to conincide that with a trip to the Fuji WEC round, has anyone done this from the UK? Contacted travel destinations to enquire if they have any plans to do a trip to Fuji but they currently don't have the interest, hopefully as the championship grows that might change!
Maybe contact one of the British teams (Strakka, Gulf UK) or Graham & Co. at DSC to see if they can be of help?
Old 30 Jun 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3655995)   #1085
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ask M&C Travel Events. As far as I am aware they do a lot of work with the WEC.

http://www.mc-travel-events.de/
Old 30 Jun 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3655997)   #1086
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hate to sound like an RLM fanboy, but, talk to Travel Destinations. They are experts, and VERY, VERY good at what they do in terms of communications, customer service, and booking.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Jun 2016, 21:48 (Ref:3656016)   #1087
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I hate to sound like an RLM fanboy, but, talk to Travel Destinations. They are experts, and VERY, VERY good at what they do in terms of communications, customer service, and booking.
Uh, you did read his post, right? It did say he already had.

I do agree with you though. Have been a customer of Travel Destinations and they are top notch.
Old 1 Jul 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3656093)   #1088
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What are the advantages of booking through agencies like these versus buying race tickets and accommodations on your own? Is it like a tour group where you are provided transportation and are with a group from the same agency, or do they just set up race tickets and accommodations and set you on your merry way?

I'm hoping to get to either Le Mans or Spa next year and was figuring on just booking everything myself through kayak or something, so it's something I would like to look into.

I've been to lots of races in the U.S. and I've been to Europe a couple times but it was playing in a band and I didn't personally have to take care of anything really other than a plane ticket.
Old 1 Jul 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3656117)   #1089
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Uh, you did read his post, right? It did say he already had.

I do agree with you though. Have been a customer of Travel Destinations and they are top notch.
I actually missed that... (consider this a re-post for excellent service only)
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Jul 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3656137)   #1090
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
What are the advantages of booking through agencies like these versus buying race tickets and accommodations on your own? Is it like a tour group where you are provided transportation and are with a group from the same agency, or do they just set up race tickets and accommodations and set you on your merry way?
I have been a customer of Travel Destinations at Le Mans twice. First time was before I had discovered this forum and knew next to nothing about visiting Le Mans. I knew how to book my plane tickets, hotels in Paris, and rental car, but the Le Mans part seemed a bit more tricky. Looking at the ACO website it's also not always very clear on how to book stuff or even if it's possible to book certain things.

So I booked with TD the first time for peace of mind and expertise mostly. Also helpful was getting there and having people who I could ask questions of and who knew the lay of the land and could point me towards things. The last issue that appealed to me was that they offered 24 hour security at their campsite. Initially I wasn't planning to rent a car, so this was important as I wouldn't have somewhere to lock up my stuff. I can say that they covered all of these bases for me, the service was excellent.

Second time I used them was because I was taking my wife and I thought she would appreciate the serviced bathrooms and showers that they offer, as well as food for sale at the campsite. Those are things they do a good job of offering as well.

Now that I have been a few times I think I could go without them, however they do make it comfortable and easy (you just pay a premium). My preference now is our own international camp, this was where I stayed on my last visit.

But yeah, nowadays with google and all of the information that you can gather on forums there is no reason why you can't book an overseas trip yourself.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 03:52 (Ref:3657013)   #1091
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Any updates as far as teams testing between now and season's end.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3658351)   #1092
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...ts-r-for-cota/

"-- But is awaiting final word from the FIA on the entry’s confirmation. It’s understood the sixth round of the WEC season could have already reached the maximum number of entries."

"Maximum number of entries" = I assume means around 34-37, ie the "full season allocation" + "one or two guests"? What a load of...

TBH I don't care if they come or not as I won't be watching that race, but it's the recurring ideology of purposely arranged micro grids for ???? reasons I'm talking about.

Last edited by Deleted; 11 Jul 2016 at 16:57.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3658354)   #1093
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LMP1 artificial team personnel decrease for all future non-LM races http://www.fia.com/file/44702/download?token=O6jG6RDo
LMP1 boost ratio mod for Mexico http://www.fia.com/file/44703/download?token=9DjqN1Kf
LMP1 slick tire mod for Mexico http://www.fia.com/file/44700/download?token=CM3f70Nt
LMP2+LMGTE refueling restrictor mod for COTA http://www.fia.com/file/44701/download?token=odUFc34i
Old 11 Jul 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3658355)   #1094
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
To be fair there, the 65 people per 2 car team limit in LMP1 and other classes has been (or was supposed to have been) on the books since after Le Mans last season IIRC.

Also, the LMP1 8.5 tire limit is just the ACO/FIA following the pattern from Nurburgring last year and just about every track that has been "Tilked" or paved with asphalt that whilst it has huge grip reserves, also tends to wear the tires out faster.

That and Michelin and Dunlop don't seem to place much emphasis on making tires that are truly practical to double or triple stint post LM.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3658495)   #1095
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't like the idea of giving more tyres for circuits with higher wear rate. Everybody at the Ring just single stinted a tyre, and part of the fun we've always had with WEC is strategy. The extra tyres just removed fun and strategy from it IMO.

If a tyre wears faster then the teams should have to deal with it.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3658512)   #1096
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Part of the blame has to go to Michelin and Dunlop, since they stop development of long stint sprint race tires until the end of the season because of LM (where teams usually triple of quadruple stint tires in LMP1) being history.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 17:07 (Ref:3658562)   #1097
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

"-- But is awaiting final word from the FIA on the entry’s confirmation. It’s understood the sixth round of the WEC season could have already reached the maximum number of entries."

"Maximum number of entries" = I assume means around 34-37, ie the "full season allocation" + "one or two guests"? What a load of...

TBH I don't care if they come or not as I won't be watching that race, but it's the recurring ideology of purposely arranged micro grids for ???? reasons I'm talking about.
So, which of the full season teams are going to give up their garage spot or take a smaller garage so that one one-off entry can join?
Old 12 Jul 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3658563)   #1098
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
So, which of the full season teams are going to give up their garage spot or take a smaller garage so that one one-off entry can join?
None, you would have tents for the numbers going beyond 34. You know, just like all the other series do in America. If they don't like it, don't come!

And in any case, last year there were 35 cars registered for full season in WEC, had all of them actually materialized at the circuit (instead of 31 that actually turned up) they would have had to make compromises too. Including possibly jamming some multi car teams into one garage - this was actually discussed before - if tents were too daring.

Anyway, ditching that abomination of a circuit can't come soon enough... for all series...
Old 12 Jul 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3658585)   #1099
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

You don't care but comment on that 'fact' so often. To me it sounds like you really do care but are trying to play it off like you don't. Your fake outrage in your post gives it away imo. Just like your reply below-

Quote:
None, you would have tents for the numbers going beyond 34. You know, just like all the other series do in America. If they don't like it, don't come!

And in any case, last year there were 35 cars registered for full season in WEC, had all of them actually materialized at the circuit (instead of 31 that actually turned up) they would have had to make compromises too. Including possibly jamming some multi car teams into one garage - this was actually discussed before - if tents were too daring.

Anyway, ditching that abomination of a circuit can't come soon enough... for all series...
You want them to ditch a circuit that's run in a series you supposedly don't care about, and you "don't watch" (at least COTA).
Old 12 Jul 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3658590)   #1100
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
COTA might be ditched if they can't get their finances and management sorted out. There's the Indy GP circuit that still extant at IMS, there's Montreal if you want to stretch the US round to a NA round, and there's rumors of Road America upgrading their infield and pit facilities to get a Grade 1 rating from the FIA so the ACO and FIA can move there if they want. And if you want to count it as North America (I know that North America usually nowadays refers to the US and Canada, while Mexico is referred to as being in Latin America or Central America), there's Mexico City.

IMO, COTA is one of the better newer circuits and one of Tilke's better efforts, but the track is poorly run and managed, and the ACO have made no bones about the fact that ACO and FIA personnel in charge of the WEC--let alone fans and even teams--haven't been totally satisfied with COTA's management to say the least. And in NA at least, the ACO can take their ball and play anywhere just because of the prestige of having the cars that race at LM race somewhere in NA, since they can't run in IMSA, and it's easy to do in what is essentially a niche form of motorsport in America.