Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 2 Mar 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3619254)   #226
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jarlson View Post
My information on "375-06" comes from the SCCA archives (http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1433530590). Usually SCCA would just take the car information straight from the driver's entry form. Obviously, someone didn't get it right in this case.
I searched through that PDF and it says "GRD 375/6". What that most likely means is a GRD 375 updated to 376 spec. Highly unlikely that it would be a chassis number.

The car Gilbert drove at the Run-Offs was Jim Fiske's ex-Ribiero/Henton GRD 374 which had been extensively rebuilt after Fiske crashed it.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 15:18 (Ref:3619313)   #227
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not allowed to edit my posts or I would remove the last sentence from my last one. bobdar had already given that history in more detail.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3619720)   #228
Gary Jarlson
Rookie

Gary Jarlson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point, Allen. I probably did misinterpret the "375/6." I used "375-06" just in continuity of the previous chassis designations. Sorry.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 05:36 (Ref:3619785)   #229
bobdar
Rookie

bobdar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen:

I was looking through the 1974 British F3 results on OldRacingCars and found that Alex Ribeiro apparently used three different cars during 1974. For the first few events, he ran GRD #056 but then used #088 until Cadwell Park (21 July), where he DNF'd with an accident. For the next event at Oulton Park (27 July), he is in #094 and finished out the season in that chassis. Any clues as to what might have become of #088? He sold his F3 car and transporter to Brian Henton after the season, but is there any way of knowing which chassis that was? Or might they be the same chassis with a rebuild?

BTW, ORC is an amazing resource. Thanks.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3619855)   #230
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Chris Townsend is the expert on this of course, and he compiled ORC's results, but I would have thought 088 ceased to exist after Cadwell Park and 094 took its place. So the car Henton hired out at Monaco in 1975 and which then went to the US would be 094, not 088.

What I am curious about is Ribeiro's GRD 'A75' at the late-season Formula Atlantic races after the F3 season finished. Could that have been his 374 fitted with a BDA or was it a factory-loaned 1975 prototype?
Old 5 Mar 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3620292)   #231
bobdar
Rookie

bobdar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bunch of years back, Peter Denty said that Ribeiro had sold two cars to Henton: one was the 374 (assumed to be chassis 094, the number listed for Derek Cook at Monaco in 1975) and a Formula Atlantic car. Peter recalled that he later restored the Atlantic, but I didn't ask for whom.

I have no other information, but Peter probably remembers. I had asked Alex if the Hewland Mk 9's were strong enough for the long-stroke 2-liter T/C motors, and he replied that he had also run a BDA in one of the GRD's, and the Mk 9 was strong enough for that as well. So, it possible that the Atlantic was #088 rebuilt with a BDA.
Old 13 Aug 2016, 14:34 (Ref:3665499)   #232
ElliotWoodward
Rookie

ElliotWoodward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all

sorry if this is posted in the wrong area

new to the forum after purchasing a GRD formula 2/atlantic

im unsure of the year and model of the car. it has rear uprights with GRD 272 cast into them but looks to have been converted to front radiator at some point.

i cant find a chassis plate on the car

if anyone could shed some light on the car that would be great

also has 191614 stamped into the roll over bar

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/el...?sort=3&page=1

photos are on photo bucket because i cant figure out how to attach them to this

thanks

Elliot
Old 16 Aug 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3665964)   #233
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotWoodward View Post
hi all

sorry if this is posted in the wrong area

new to the forum after purchasing a GRD formula 2/atlantic

im unsure of the year and model of the car. it has rear uprights with GRD 272 cast into them but looks to have been converted to front radiator at some point.

i cant find a chassis plate on the car

if anyone could shed some light on the car that would be great

also has 191614 stamped into the roll over bar

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/el...?sort=3&page=1

photos are on photo bucket because i cant figure out how to attach them to this

thanks

Elliot
Hi Elliot
Did reply when you posted this over on another page.
The 19-1614 is a Cal Club SCCA stamp, and from early 1978. From the name and number on the body work this ties in with the FB car of David Head, which runs in Atlantic/FB spec in nationals and regionals at Riverside that year.
So, it looks as though your car was put away soon after that.

1978 wouldn't have been the beginning of its racing life of course, but the fact that it gets an SCCA stamp so late in life (it has to be 3 years old minimum in 1978, even if the 272 uprights are not original) means that this probably came into the USA from either Canada or Europe at that point. It's unlikely to be one of the GRDs imported to the US 1972-74 since they all seem to have raced in SCCA events well before 1978, and would be stamped accordingly.