Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Mar 2024, 20:05 (Ref:4200414)   #476
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
P3 is already out so.....

And LMP2 fills the grid with folks who are paying, what cars are out there to replace them in Hypercar/GTP? Doesn't seem like there is a long line of pro entries beating down the door to enter. Over half the series is Am based with LMP2 and GTD, there are almost as many GTDs alone as the pro entries total. It's a different animal and why must everything be considered, and required to be, exactly the same and meet the same needs.
Old 8 Mar 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4200529)   #477
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMSA change, revert to previous GTD BOP system. No longer the expected performance system but rather the old we tell you what the regs are.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...er-of-season/?
Old 8 Mar 2024, 20:26 (Ref:4200533)   #478
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Oh and torque sensors coming in GTD

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...sses-in-2025/?
Old 10 Mar 2024, 01:08 (Ref:4200659)   #479
SidewaysSyd
Rookie

SidewaysSyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectating at the Sebring 12 Hours

After a gap of some years (I was at Riverside in 1979 for the IMSA race - if it was IMSA then) I'm over from the UK to see IMSA at next weekend's Sebring 12 Hours. The Sebring website lists the Hairpin and turns 3 & 17 as good places to spectate. Are these areas good for photography - ie no fences? I have a 100-500m lens so I have a good range if I have to be further back to look over a fence. There's free parking outside the circuit but you can buy inside parking for $75. If I'm inside with the car, can I drive around the perimeter of the circuit to get to the hairpin/turn3/17? If I can't, what's the benefit of the parking ticket? I will gladly pay if it makes life more convenient.
Do you have any other helpful tips? Many thanks
Old 10 Mar 2024, 01:39 (Ref:4200662)   #480
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysSyd View Post
After a gap of some years (I was at Riverside in 1979 for the IMSA race - if it was IMSA then) I'm over from the UK to see IMSA at next weekend's Sebring 12 Hours. The Sebring website lists the Hairpin and turns 3 & 17 as good places to spectate. Are these areas good for photography - ie no fences? I have a 100-500m lens so I have a good range if I have to be further back to look over a fence. There's free parking outside the circuit but you can buy inside parking for $75. If I'm inside with the car, can I drive around the perimeter of the circuit to get to the hairpin/turn3/17? If I can't, what's the benefit of the parking ticket? I will gladly pay if it makes life more convenient.
Do you have any other helpful tips? Many thanks
All good questions, it has been 10 years since I have been, so don't have answers. I always camped and never tried to drive around the infield during the race. There are always people who drive around all day, so it may be possible, but it is the parking after driving around the circuit that would be the issue. If you are parking outside, just consider yourself a pedestrian. You can get around the circuit on foot pretty easy.

The track is flat, so where the are fences, they could be an issue, but there are also some viewing mounds. I have heard that some people having good luck with RV owners allowing them on their roofs for photography too if you ask nicely!
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:02 (Ref:4200701)   #481
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Lemme get back to you later re 17, now at St. Pete GP.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:44 (Ref:4200707)   #482
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You cannot drive the outside perimeter of the track and there is limited access to the track on the infield side. Not so great viewing by car. You can get to most of the track by foot but not all of it.

The harpin turn is a great spot for viewing along with everything from turns 3 through 7 with good shots up to turn 8. The area around 17 is pretty congested so you'll have to pick your spot.

Although the track is relatively flat, there are some slightly elevated areas. Most of the pedestrian fencing is only 4' high. A small portable ladder would help to get above any obstructions.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 18:27 (Ref:4200737)   #483
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Great job JT240Z!

To add: Turn 10 is a great viewing spot. Either along the fence or on the spectator mound.

Turn 13 is pretty cool too.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 21:21 (Ref:4200750)   #484
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
For all non US fans, US went to Daylight Time this morning so remember to adjust your math for Sebring.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 23:53 (Ref:4200762)   #485
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Ok, 17 has an outside viewing area since a few years, there are some small bleachers and you can (presumably) watch all the way down the back straight and under the bridge. I've only seen it from the opposite side (inside of the turn) as that's where we flag from.

The trams that go around most of the inside of the track (?), will take you there as well. It'll save a chunk of walking time.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 10:40 (Ref:4200807)   #486
SidewaysSyd
Rookie

SidewaysSyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everybody. So I'll leave the $75 parking. I understand I'll have to take everything with me for the day, but I've been to Amelia Island and the Gatornationals on this trip so I've got a stripped down list of carrying items. Over 12 hours, I'll have plenty of time to get to the places you've listed and the spectator trams look like they'll save thousands of steps. Lets hope the weather holds off, unlike the Island and Gatornationals.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:08 (Ref:4200832)   #487
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
SidewaysSyd-Welcome to the forum! There is a section called Trackside, which has several past threads on Sebring. Loads of information there that likely is still current. I'll offer some here: hat, sunscreen, stay hydrated.

Above all, have a blast and report back to this forum about your experience!
Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:21 (Ref:4200840)   #488
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And be prepared to party hearty! It's a Sebring tradition.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 15:17 (Ref:4200851)   #489
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
And be prepared to party hearty! It's a Sebring tradition.

Old 11 Mar 2024, 22:43 (Ref:4200922)   #490
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Ganassi and Caddy part ways at the end of the seasons, IMSA and WEC.

https://racer.com/2024/03/11/chip-ga...t-seasons-end/

Racer saying they're hearing AXR going back to 2 cars for IMSA in 25. WEC could be United, TF Sport and one other team not known in the running. CGR looking to partner with someone new to stay in sportscars
Old 12 Mar 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4200986)   #491
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...orque-sensors/
Wow, I had no idea that a single torque sensor is that expensive. No wonder this potential change raises cost concerns.
Old 12 Mar 2024, 13:35 (Ref:4200989)   #492
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysSyd View Post
Thanks everybody. So I'll leave the $75 parking. I understand I'll have to take everything with me for the day, but I've been to Amelia Island and the Gatornationals on this trip so I've got a stripped down list of carrying items. Over 12 hours, I'll have plenty of time to get to the places you've listed and the spectator trams look like they'll save thousands of steps. Lets hope the weather holds off, unlike the Island and Gatornationals.
It's gonna be a hot one (or rather: hot few days)!
Old 12 Mar 2024, 13:37 (Ref:4200990)   #493
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Ganassi and Caddy part ways at the end of the seasons, IMSA and WEC.

https://racer.com/2024/03/11/chip-ga...t-seasons-end/

Racer saying they're hearing AXR going back to 2 cars for IMSA in 25. WEC could be United, TF Sport and one other team not known in the running. CGR looking to partner with someone new to stay in sportscars
I'd expect them to step in and run the Mustang programs on behalf of Multimatic in 2025 (and probably beyond) - very much like they did with the GT campaigns.

In bigger dreams, they'll run the new Ford GTP/HY program, starting 2026.
Old 12 Mar 2024, 13:54 (Ref:4200992)   #494
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...orque-sensors/
Wow, I had no idea that a single torque sensor is that expensive. No wonder this potential change raises cost concerns.
It's one of the problems of having only one source for a part.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 01:27 (Ref:4201072)   #495
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having competition to drive down prices here isn’t necessarily a good thing. You need each one to be identical and chasing cost could introduce reliability issues. It’s not a simple piece of kit.

I’d have a lucrative contract for the supplier, but a massive penalty for a failure. A bit like those building the Millenium dome - the contracts were lucrative, but the clawback for missing a deadline as huge.

I’ve been surprised by the limited number of failures we’ve seen.

At that price I can see why WEC went with it and it’s taken longer for IMSA.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 02:18 (Ref:4201077)   #496
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, let's add another form of competition. And the thought that multiple providers would ever lower price is delusional, EVERY company would be trying to make a better one every version. Having one supplier who can make a fairly limited use product and everyone chips in to the costs without development actually lowers the costs long term compared to a competitive environment
Old 13 Mar 2024, 04:59 (Ref:4201079)   #497
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Multiple manufacturers for torque sensors gives another point of variation that would need to be taken into account as well. At the moment, all the torque sensors are made in the same factory, by the same process, to the same tolerances.

With something as critical to BoP as torque measurements, the less degrees of variation there are, the better.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 20:35 (Ref:4201170)   #498
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The Kelly-Moss RR #92 has been dropped for the rest of the season after skipping Daytona and not being on the list for Sebring. It may return if the money is there but sounds like no

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...ay-notebook-9/
Old 14 Mar 2024, 00:02 (Ref:4201183)   #499
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Not like this is breaking news at all but MX-s has some serious wheelman in it, Zilisch leading the crew. Great race to watch and he's gonna be an IMSA star in short order

https://racer.com/2024/03/13/zilisch...rd-at-sebring/
Old 14 Mar 2024, 08:24 (Ref:4201197)   #500
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...ay-notebook-9/

Interesting section about the white and chequered flag after the Daytona situation

Instead of saying we made a mistake and look to make sure this will not happen again, they have explained the regulations that they can throw the white flag whenever they want and that is the last lap irrespective of race time left

Also on MWM they explained the BOP issues at Daytona with Ferrari and BMW. What seems very interesting to me is that IMSA are saying both manus have exceeded the allowance and the manus say they did not. Both IMSA and the Manus have the data to show they did and did not exceed but this is not shared and nothing can be done about it
I understand sharing this data could give manus an understanding how much they can push the envelope until being foul of BOP regs or might expose IMSA's data as inadequate, but all this lack of transparency making it difficult to know what the situation is and how to improve. No wonder they reverted to the old BOP for now