Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Jun 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2228462)   #1
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 Results Database, help please!

Allen Brown will soon be posting on oldracingcars.com the first set of results for F3 - a project that I've been quietly working on along with US FSV and Atlantic. This will be for 1982 British series, the year of Tommy Byrne. 1980 and 1985 are not far behind.

So what! I hear you cry, F3 results are everywhere on the internet, and some of them [especially Gerald Swan's] are on jolly good websites.
These results are unique because, like all other ORC publications, they go to chassis number level where ever possible, and will usually include all practice times.
In the 1980s this is usually feasible because the build records for most of the cars are available, and when one changed hands the press usually noted it. In addition we have some observations of chassis at particular races from experienced hands like Alan Brown and Adam Ferrington.

What this database needs is
1: more observations of actual chassis plates from F3 races anywhere in the world between 1964 and 1987 [a completely arbitrary cut-off date]
2: programmes, because often the no-shows are as interesting than those who made it to the race
3: Car histories. There are quite a few owners of historic F3 chassis out there who know much, if not all, of who raced their car in period. We don't always know this, so do tell us about its exploits!

Like Atlantic I aim to cover all countries with this endeavour, and there should be several seasons of Italian F3 from the 1970s to follow soon. This doesn't mean I've abandoned Atlantic, but whilst I'm gathering resources to do my book on F2 it's meant a good deal of European material has come into my hands [and completely clogged the floor of my study]. It seemed sensible to do something with all those Autosprints and Autohebdos once I'd filleted them for F2 material.

Chris
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2230397)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the website i like to refer to is http://www.f3history.co.uk/ however i don't think it goes into as much detail as you have specified above

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 17 Jun 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2230826)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chris, your a glutten for punishment ! You probably know this site, but there's some excellent detail on a race by race level for the F3 championships it mentions [which aren't many]

Link Here
Old 18 Jun 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2231657)   #4
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I know both Gerald and Stefan's sites. Gerald's is especially good since he includes extensive race reports, and in many ways what we're posting on ORC should be seen as a complement to that. We'll go for races that this site doesn't yet cover and will include chassis numbers where possible. We've also got a lot more data on Italian and French races in particular.
Unlike Stefan's site we'll be including grid positions and times, where known, and correcting some of the small mistakes.

Chris