Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1568958)   #1
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Not a Non Story...

Frankly, I think most people could care less about which garage who walked through Blah Blah Blah...

I find it astonishing that people are interested in that, and yet aren't talking about the amount of wheels that were flying around the place, free of their tethers during the Aus GP.

Lest we forget, the tragedy there some years back being one of the main drivers for tethers being there to start with.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1568968)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I don't think that it's the tethers that are breaking,it's what they are attatched to more likely.I suppose that if all the tethers were some how joined together as one there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1568970)   #3
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey b1ackcr0w, did you hit the cough-medicine a little early today?
-
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1568979)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We noticed that as well 'crow, as well as quite a lot of gaps in the fence - it may have been the camera angle and perhaps these gaps were protected by an overlap in the fence but I noticed a couple of cars going in next to what appear to be significant gaps.

One of the early accidents (can't remember which) had a wheel bouncing well towards the crowd.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1568984)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The wheels I believe stayed on wheel on Schumacher's impact in the final turn.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1568992)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
hey b1ackcr0w, did you hit the cough-medicine a little early today?
-
I fail to get your point QS. Most of what is being discussed is of little consequence, (Fissico's gee up, Which garage TBC walked through etc). But wheels coming off F1 Cars at the Aus GP is literally a life and death issue.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1568995)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the F1 forum, mate... always like that.

Anyway, you're right about that, and when I said before the GP about the odds of this track, no one really care. It left me the impression, this year, that something has to be done about Melbourne track.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1569000)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The wheels I believe stayed on wheel on Schumacher's impact in the final turn.
I think you're right about that, but I counted two off Liuzzi's and at least a rear off Massa's. The one that really had me scared was Klien's where the Left front looked like it could go anywhere as he came in for the second impact.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1569025)   #9
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It left me the impression, this year, that something has to be done about Melbourne track.
Bononi I’m curious to know what you mean. Are you suggesting that the walls are pushed back and massive tarmac areas are installed like so many of the lifeless, over sanitised circuits that are raced on currently? Or are you talking about the design of the walls themself?

The impact that surprised me the most was Kliens. Somehow the tyre was torn right off the rim. Heaven knows where the tyre ended up. I can't recall that happening previously.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1569034)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac
Bononi I’m curious to know what you mean. Are you suggesting that the walls are pushed back and massive tarmac areas are installed like so many of the lifeless, over sanitised circuits that are raced on currently? Or are you talking about the design of the walls themself?

The impact that surprised me the most was Kliens. Somehow the tyre was torn right off the rim. Heaven knows where the tyre ended up. I can't recall that happening previously.
Not sure about a massive change of tarmac areas and pushing back walls... but something has to be done. Maybe a track change ?

Anyone in the line ?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1569054)   #11
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon that you'd struggle to get the track changed due to the presence of the "save Albert Park" lobby group and the close proximity of the other sporting venues around the track (Soccer Stadium, Golf course, Swimming Centre, Driving Range, Cricket Ovals just to name a few.)

I’d leave the track as is. The AGP Board has always been quick to rectify any safety concerns that arise, such as the increasing the catch fencing height after the unfortunate death of Graham Beverage in 2001.

Plus problems with cars spearing of left, right and centre this year was a result of low tyre temps and pressures, which were in part caused by the race being restarted so many times and the cooler weather in Melbourne at this time of the year.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1569059)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ok, leave the track as it is. I would suggest that it's time for the Australian GP happening in another track.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1569069)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember hearing that the wheel tether strength had been doubled recently (for this season?) so the fault must lie with whatever keeps it attached to the chassis.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1569104)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I noticed this too, with Kliens shunt - the tyre and rim came away from each other and the car leaving the rim shooting off like a cannon ball
Old 3 Apr 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1569148)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Frankly, I think most people could care less about which garage who walked through Blah Blah Blah...
I think Jarcey was only having a slight play around with that thread!

We don't have to be serious 100% of the time, so no need to be uptight.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1569167)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well we could slow the cars down,to say,100mph max.

Formula on is a dangerous sport,it says so on the entrance ticket if you're lucky enough to have one.

The cars are just not going to be 100% safe..ever..if they were,what would be the point.OK,so at least the spectators should be 100% safe,so that rules out Melbourne and Monaco to start with.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1569429)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I think Jarcey was only having a slight play around with that thread! We don't have to be serious 100% of the time, so no need to be uptight.
Thanks Knowls for your kind and correct assessment - I keep forgetting to hold my left hand up for some to indicate a joke - mind you I guess MS could have gone into the Toyota garage to avoid missing the flying wheels, which could have hit him on a tender fleshy bit if he had been foolish enough to walk up the pit lane to his own toilet!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1569442)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even if a tether breaks it has still done its job as the energy of the impact has gone into breaking the tether, not the kinetic energy of the wheel. If the wheels are breaking instead of the tether then it shows that the tether has reached the limit of what it can do and it is pointless to improve it further.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1569453)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess some of this is also down to the nature of the impact. In MS's crash I thought the tethers performed as required, despite a hard wall contact.

As Adam notes, everything has a stress / failure point beyond which it is impossible to design. In fact I was amazed with some of the suspension failures that we have seen that the cars have stayed so well in tact.

And, what about the rear wings that have been flying off - I mean if a steward copped one of those - well, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1569519)   #20
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get an exciting F1 race the primary ingredient is the TRACK they race on..think about the best races you've seen and "street" circuits are always up there.

If safety is your PRIME concern (Not just a major concern) Motor Racing is not your sport!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1569564)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had this discussion the other day....Albert Park isn't my favourite track, but the reason I love it is because it's the first F1 track I learnt to "race" on when I first got a proper steering wheel and pedals (no sortof PS things when I was growing up). I learnt every little bit of it like the back of my hand - hence why I still love it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
If safety is your PRIME concern (Not just a major concern) Motor Racing is not your sport!
Disagree, safety is a prime concern but we all know the risk are higher in motor-racing than some other sports.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1569594)   #22
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
Stone Man,

I work as a marshal 40odd sometimes 50 days a year. I've loved the sport since I was a child, but I've also seen at first hand the effects it can have. It's the job of everybody involved with the sport to constantly re-evaluate the competition against safety. Technology doesn't just reduce lap times, it also reduces the amount of death and injury within the sport. With such a fluid and finely balanced situation, somebody has to take safety as their prime concern in order to correctly balance the risk inherant in the sport against its benefits. Otherwise, those who don't like or understand the sport will inevitably try to stop it.

I put my heart and soul into this sport, it's insulting in extremis to be told I don't belong, please don't do that again.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1569882)   #23
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It's time to bring the Grand Prix back to Adelaide!!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1569908)   #24
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
It's time to bring the Grand Prix back to Adelaide!!
A track with even less runoff space than Melbourne.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1569990)   #25
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
it's insulting in extremis to be told I don't belong, please don't do that again.
You intimated that about me in your first post on this thread and ... so, perhaps you should treat others like you would like to be treated youself