Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 May 2020, 04:38 (Ref:3975347)   #326
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Old 10 May 2020, 09:09 (Ref:3975367)   #327
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is a photo sent in by an anonymous admirer, who challenges you to identify the meeting and any persons visible in the picture;

Answers by PM to prolong the agony - please.
Attached Thumbnails
Betty Hill2.jpg  
Old 10 May 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3975378)   #328
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you tried to send me a PM lately, try again my inbox was full, but is now open for business again.

OK John?

Sorry about that.
Bauble.

PS I do not know details of the picture so it is all guess work, but thee are a few familiar faces in the crowd,
Old 10 May 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3975386)   #329
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The caption says Bette Hill (who I had recognised) so presumably the red car is Damon Hill's.
Old 10 May 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3975387)   #330
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch. 1985.
Old 10 May 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3975396)   #331
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Brands Hatch. 1985.
Some think it is Johnny Herbert after winning 1985 Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch.

Check this U-Tube clip before deciding that the chap in the picture, presumably a winner, id the same J Herbert.

Let me stress I have no more idea who/what/where than anyone else, only the friend who sent it to me 'thinks' it is Herbert winning an F2 race in 1985.

No doubt between us we will get to the bottom of it all.

Bauble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWISlKAA76c
Old 10 May 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3975401)   #332
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Some think it is Johnny Herbert after winning 1985 Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch.

Check this U-Tube clip before deciding that the chap in the picture, presumably a winner, id the same J Herbert.

Let me stress I have no more idea who/what/where than anyone else, only the friend who sent it to me 'thinks' it is Herbert winning an F2 race in 1985.

No doubt between us we will get to the bottom of it all.

Bauble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWISlKAA76c
Damon Hill was sponsored that year (1985) by Ricoh. I think Herberts car was also red but not sponsored by Ricoh.

I dont think Herbert did any F2, certainly not in 1985 as F2 was replaced by F3000 in '85..... Herbert did F3000 in 1988, having done (and won) F3 in 1987.

Edit: Herbert did win the '85 FF Festival, with Damon Hill finishing the final on the podium in 3rd. (in a Ricoh backed Van Diemen)

Last edited by E.B; 10 May 2020 at 15:08.
Old 10 May 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3975405)   #333
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff Bloxham's in the pic as well.
Old 10 May 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3975424)   #334
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car in the picture is definitely Damon Hill's. Above the Ricoh signwriting can be seen the first three letters of Damon's name. The blonde haired driver certainly looks like Johnny Herbert and in the youtube clip he is shown wearing a blue race suit.

However compare the youtube clip which shows a race being held in decidedly cloudy and miserable conditions and people dressed in heavy coats with the photograph where many onlookers are in shirt sleeves or light jackets and the weather is far more clement. The Formula Ford Festival used to held on the last weekend in October, when the clocks go back, and the Festival final would finish just about in daylight not the bright sunshine of the photograph.

The sponsor Hewgate are (now) based in Aylesbury which is much nearer to Silverstone than Brands Hatch and the walls in the background look more like Silverstone than Brands to me and the gent in the blazer looks like a BRDC member. And it looks like Bette Hill is celebrating a victory for her son rather a third place and Damon achieved six victories that season.

I would say it is Damon winning a race at Silverstone.
Old 11 May 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3975475)   #335
bauble
Veteran

England
I concur with you on weather and Silverstone, but who the blonde is I have no idea, or even if he is significant.
Old 11 May 2020, 09:48 (Ref:3975484)   #336
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think blonde chap is probably a very young (19/20) Johnny Herbert. I wonder if it was Damon's first motor racing victory ? He raced in not just the national championship but also the Silverstone based Esso series.
Old 11 May 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3975489)   #337
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I think blonde chap is probably a very young (19/20) Johnny Herbert. I wonder if it was Damon's first motor racing victory ? He raced in not just the national championship but also the Silverstone based Esso series.
I found this on the web so maybe it JH.
Attached Images

Old 11 May 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3975490)   #338
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Any clues in the Austin Rover Winner parade car? IIRC it was a Montego or Maestro with the bodywork cut away to allow the drivers to stand inside the railing. Were these used at both Brands and Silverstone, or only one?
Old 11 May 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3975498)   #339
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry just wrote rubbish

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11 May 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3975502)   #340
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
One of my reasons for picking Brands Hatch as the venue was that the picture was obviously taken from higher up than the subjects. Brands in the only place I could think of were the spectators are higher than the pit lane.
Edit, I am now disagreeing with myself and think it is Silverstone, the picture could have been taken from the Grandstands (I have some of my own at a Touring Car race, but I was obviously sitting closer to Woodcote).

Last edited by VIVA GT; 11 May 2020 at 12:27.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3975504)   #341
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
One of my reasons for picking Brands Hatch as the venue was that the picture was obviously taken from higher up than the subjects. Brands in the only place I could think of were the spectators are higher than the pit lane.
The position of the photographer has puzzled me, as if it were Brands, surely they wold have been on the outside of the circuit, and it does look like the picture background is infield, but the camera seems to be pointing the 'wrong way' for either Brands or Silverstone.
Mind you it was a long time ago and position of post race presentations has changed, certainly at Silverstone.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3975506)   #342
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The position of the photographer has puzzled me, as if it were Brands, surely they wold have been on the outside of the circuit, and it does look like the picture background is infield, but the camera seems to be pointing the 'wrong way' for either Brands or Silverstone.
Mind you it was a long time ago and position of post race presentations has changed, certainly at Silverstone.
No, I'm almost 100% sure now that it is Silverstone (I edited my post that you quoted). I've looked back at the 1986 TT Pictures where I took some of the grid from the grandstand opposite. The background is the same. Obviously, the further back in the grandstand you go, the higher up you become.
Old 11 May 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3975575)   #343
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Looking at the contemporary picture I am even more sure that the 'racing driver is Johnny Herbert. And further ot my previous comment, here is a picture of Silverstone pit road taken from the Grandstand opposite, I think this confirms the location. Both taken at a 1985 BTCC meeting with the Hewgate Construction banner on the pit wall (unfortunately neither show the Lucas one to its left). The weather looks similar too, I wonder if there was a FF1600 race at the same meeting? (Unfortunately I wasn't so interested in theme so have no pictures).
Click image for larger version

Name:	GG Boys.png
Views:	7
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	60697Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheene Supra.png
Views:	6
Size:	1,020.2 KB
ID:	60698
Old 11 May 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3975578)   #344
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Looking at the contemporary picture I am even more sure that the 'racing driver is Johnny Herbert. And further ot my previous comment, here is a picture of Silverstone pit road taken from the Grandstand opposite, I think this confirms the location. Both taken at a 1985 BTCC meeting with the Hewgate Construction banner on the pit wall (unfortunately neither show the Lucas one to its left). The weather looks similar too, I wonder if there was a FF1600 race at the same meeting? (Unfortunately I wasn't so interested in theme so have no pictures).
Attachment 60697Attachment 60698
Crummy Viv, what sort of camera were you using? Not even people walking are not in focus, "shutter speed 30 seconds."

Only kidding, I always thought the venue was Silverstone having practically lived at the circuit for so many years. As to the rest? Not my era or my scene.
Old 13 May 2020, 16:25 (Ref:3975951)   #345
bauble
Veteran

England
A few additions to the Isolated Fun Album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wSXnFbGsctc94eEL7
Old 13 May 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3975979)   #346
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I quite like Gordon's latest videos
I have made a few films (for adult use only) over the years, but they are not on my site
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2020, 21:45 (Ref:3975980)   #347
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Gosh, what a car wash Gordon has…
I don't own a car wash but I did make a video ad for a local one in Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68Yk5W9h_o
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 May 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3976227)   #348
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good and clean advert I must admit but what about something like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKRanUp8FyM
Old 14 May 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3976251)   #349
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good and clean advert I must admit but what about something like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKRanUp8FyM
I don't think it would have gone down too well with the OAP brigade in our town, also I couldn't have afforded to pay the "actors".
Years ago I would have used my wife as I wouldn't have had to pay her
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sue 40.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	60757
Old 15 May 2020, 11:40 (Ref:3976379)   #350
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wonderful and so charming picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b04jq7NB1s