Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:47 (Ref:3994259)   #201
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and congrats to Hamilton for his first point even if he still dead last in standings
Old 9 Aug 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3994271)   #202
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes Nick hamilton got a point, very pleased for him.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3994281)   #203
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
tim harvey white knighting for hawkey in the porsche race was a bit embarassing.
Probably manages her like Cammish. I am amazed ITV stand for it
Old 9 Aug 2020, 20:26 (Ref:3994285)   #204
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are just noticing now that Harvey plays favourites? Snetterton he spent the entire weekend telling us how amazing Plato was for NOT driving into other cars, and then he immediately drove into Sutton, only for Harvey to make excuses.

He should've been out the com box years ago. He isn't capable of commentating fairly.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3994290)   #205
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wow, what a day of racing! Where to begin?

Turkington is looking good at the moment. He's getting the results by knowing when to push and when not to and it also helps that most of his main rivals are getting the bad luck.

Glad to see Oliphant getting his first win, under massive pressure from Ash. He is getting better as time goes on. And what a move round the outside to take the lead, even if it did require Jelley to sportingly back out after hitting Moffat. Speaking of which, apart from that spin at Donny, Jelley has had a solid season so far and seems to have got over his bad luck of recent seasons

Ash is looking good, what a recovery from his bad grid spot. I found it funny we almost had a repeat of the winners at Donny in the exact same order. Ash is looking good after a solid weekend of points like Colin

Butcher's puncture couldn't have come at a worse time for him in R1, good recovery in R2, then it happened again in R3. Cammish had all the luck in the first race, then it just seemed to desert him. And shame for Tingram, good points in a car that doesn't appear to the fastest till that incident in R3

Good to see OJ up there, Neate looked good in R2 by keeping a cool head, although what happened to him in R3? Puncture or mistake? Good to see Nic get his first point. Real races of attrition

Great mini action, nice to see AJ taking a win. Porsches looked a bit wild, but what a drive by King
Old 9 Aug 2020, 21:44 (Ref:3994298)   #206
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Neate looked good in R2 by keeping a cool head, although what happened to him in R3? Puncture or mistake?
He held his hand up and said he made a mistake. He was carrying a tad too much speed and found himself about to run into the back of Cammish, he took avoiding action and the back end got away from him.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 21:48 (Ref:3994299)   #207
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
, Jelley has had a solid season so far and seems to have got over his bad luck of recent seasons
I often wonder how well he could do in the much more potent 3 series

it will never really happen but technically if WSR need another rear gunner for Turks in the final stages would it be something to prevent them "loaning" the 3 series to Jelley/Parker for final part of season ? the car would run under Team Parker banner and in their livery but the key engineers would be WSR personal and Jelly would be forced to be rear gunner and give toe in qualy and I imagine this way TOCA couldn't slap a late season entry full ballast
Old 9 Aug 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3994302)   #208
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
People are just noticing now that Harvey plays favourites? Snetterton he spent the entire weekend telling us how amazing Plato was for NOT driving into other cars, and then he immediately drove into Sutton, only for Harvey to make excuses.

He should've been out the com box years ago. He isn't capable of commentating fairly.
in my defence this is the first time i've been able to watch it all live in three years, so it's a whole new world of cringe

but then i got similarly annoyed by john watson on the sro feed yesterday, which i'm aware is blasphemy punishable by exile.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 22:06 (Ref:3994305)   #209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
He held his hand up and said he made a mistake. He was carrying a tad too much speed and found himself about to run into the back of Cammish, he took avoiding action and the back end got away from him.

That’s fair enough, could have happened to anyone. He’s certainly keeping a cooler head than he did earlier in his BTCC career and he has so fat managed to avoid incidents with other, which also was a big problem for him in the past
Old 9 Aug 2020, 22:42 (Ref:3994318)   #210
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That Focus is a mighty quick car and is letting the talents of the drivers shine. I wonder if there's some sponsors phoning up Batty in the morning based on performances so far?
Old 10 Aug 2020, 06:47 (Ref:3994367)   #211
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
in my defence this is the first time i've been able to watch it all live in three years, so it's a whole new world of cringe

but then i got similarly annoyed by john watson on the sro feed yesterday, which i'm aware is blasphemy punishable by exile.
Nah, John has become a crazy old man. They wheel him out of the home to have odd rants and wheel him back.

Tim is perfectly sound of mind, he's just not capable of commentating on a series fairly.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 07:30 (Ref:3994373)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

I have to agree O'Neill that Ollie Jackson was the star driver of the day. He isn't rated much, probably due to incidents in the past, but in a good car he is actually a decent peddler.

Also got to see Gornall getting three solid points finishes
Old 10 Aug 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3994384)   #213
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was impressed by Neate, he kept his nose clean in race 2 and got a decent result. Fair play. Hopefully it will give him the confidence in the car for the rest of the year.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3994390)   #214
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I was impressed by Neate, he kept his nose clean in race 2 and got a decent result. Fair play. Hopefully it will give him the confidence in the car for the rest of the year.
I believe yesterday was his first visit to a gravel trap since joining the team including preseason testing. Getting up to 8th yesterday and holding off Turkington for a lap or two, he certainly seems to have made a transformation just like Ollie. All three Fords in the top 10 for several laps, a bit of a surprise for all the doubters.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3994397)   #215
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Nah, John has become a crazy old man. They wheel him out of the home to have odd rants and wheel him back.

Tim is perfectly sound of mind, he's just not capable of commentating on a series fairly.
I particularly liked his mixed up description of Butcher's return to Motorbase because he was a "kindred son". Presumably Andy Neate is the "prodigal spirit".
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3994402)   #216
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I believe yesterday was his first visit to a gravel trap since joining the team including preseason testing. Getting up to 8th yesterday and holding off Turkington for a lap or two, he certainly seems to have made a transformation just like Ollie. All three Fords in the top 10 for several laps, a bit of a surprise for all the doubters.
The Motorbase cars showed great pace all weekend it just seems that if it wasn't for bad luck, sadly they wouldn't have any luck at all.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3994404)   #217
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
His entire approach seems very different to his past BTCC endeavours; long may it continue with the good solid performance and keeping his nose clean.

No one has yet appeared on my my "muppet" radar this year. Which after two meetings has to be a first...
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3994408)   #218
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
No one has yet appeared on my my "muppet" radar this year. Which after two meetings has to be a first...
Maybe Chris Smiley after binning a 4th place yesterday all on his own! Still, that Hyundai will be a race winner by the end of the year, I reckon.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:56 (Ref:3994412)   #219
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Well after Brands "not being a RWD track" it's a 1 to 5 finish for RWD cars in race 3
It's always worth putting the results into context, before a declaration of 'it's a [insert car type] track'.

Going into this event, some were claiming that Sutton is going to walk the championship - He's doing well, but it is not being handed to him on a plate.
Some were claiming that Sutton would need to push the car too hard, and his tyres wouldn't last - he managed his tyres well, and it was the FWD cars that had tyre problems. In fact, Oliphant took his race win on used tyres.

The biggest factor of the day seems to have been heat, and the ability of RWD cars to manage the heat factor better. A lot of FWD drivers commented about how different heat effects were affecting their car, but his was not as evident from RWD drivers. The only instance I can recall was Jelley talking about how he was preserving his front tyres through paddock, to avoid the exit kerb pinching the sidewall.

FP1 - FWD 1-5
FP2 - FWD 1-6
Q - FWD 1-4
R1 - FWD fastest 6 laps
R3 - FWD fastest 3 laps

The only time RWD cars were faster than FWD all weekend was in R2, when the temperatures were at their highest. FWD cars are capable of going quicker than RWD at this circuit, but it was the heat that caused the issues.
When the temperature drops later in the season, the FWD cars will start to get an ascendancy over RWD, and the conditions will come to them.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3994426)   #220
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, RWD may have scored 1-2-3-4-5 but only on paper it looks like a total domination of RWD cars. Actually Cammish and Butcher seemed one of the fastest drivers of the weekend, which is particularly impressive given the former had quite a lot of weight onboard and still was able to be in the mix.

Honestly, sometimes I feel it'd be good to have all cars FWD or RWD in order to stop this ancient debate about who's at advantage and which track is FWD-friendly and which RWD-friendly.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 10:41 (Ref:3994427)   #221
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just before the start of R3, it was mentioned that the 2 Dynamics Hondas and 2 BTC Hondas all had steering system issues causing their retirements/dropped places in R2. Surely this must have been heat related, it can't be a coincidence that 4 of the same car (which are usually very well prepped), all get an issue with the same system in the same race...
Old 10 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3994432)   #222
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's always worth putting the results into context, before a declaration of 'it's a [insert car type] track'.

Going into this event, some were claiming that Sutton is going to walk the championship - He's doing well, but it is not being handed to him on a plate.
Some were claiming that Sutton would need to push the car too hard, and his tyres wouldn't last - he managed his tyres well, and it was the FWD cars that had tyre problems. In fact, Oliphant took his race win on used tyres.

The biggest factor of the day seems to have been heat, and the ability of RWD cars to manage the heat factor better. A lot of FWD drivers commented about how different heat effects were affecting their car, but his was not as evident from RWD drivers. The only instance I can recall was Jelley talking about how he was preserving his front tyres through paddock, to avoid the exit kerb pinching the sidewall.

FP1 - FWD 1-5
FP2 - FWD 1-6
Q - FWD 1-4
R1 - FWD fastest 6 laps
R3 - FWD fastest 3 laps

The only time RWD cars were faster than FWD all weekend was in R2, when the temperatures were at their highest. FWD cars are capable of going quicker than RWD at this circuit, but it was the heat that caused the issues.
When the temperature drops later in the season, the FWD cars will start to get an ascendancy over RWD, and the conditions will come to them.
In qualifying, Sutton was pushing the car too hard, his lap times suffered as a result and he got slower and slower. Race day he seemed to have a whole new approach, he was more relaxed other than almost putting Butcher into the pit wall at the start of Race 3. His driving yesterday was the complete opposite of his frantic driving last week and he reaped the rewards from it.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 12:07 (Ref:3994444)   #223
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have dunlop.. goodyear, whatever spoken about the tyre failures yet?
Old 10 Aug 2020, 12:15 (Ref:3994453)   #224
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
have dunlop.. goodyear, whatever spoken about the tyre failures yet?
Was it just Motorbase who had failures - or did any of the other retirements come from tyres?

If it was just Motorbase, it would suggest the problem was with one team's use of the tyres, rather than a tyre problem itself?
Old 10 Aug 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3994474)   #225
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In qualifying, Sutton was pushing the car too hard, his lap times suffered as a result and he got slower and slower.
Could quite easily swap Sutton for Butcher in that sentence.