Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:16 (Ref:621767)   #1
Fred
Racer

Fred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whose Brain in which gear ?

The esteemed JL was quoted in todays Autosport, refering to his own teams drivers, as saying

"The guys just haven't had their brains in gear so far".

When the manager talks about his ( over ? ) paying drivers in such a way is it any wonder that the team appears a little fractious? It was amusing enough when"he who shouldn't be named' slagged off his team mates in MN to the benefit of the opposition. But with the above remarks and an attempt to bring in a former champion to show the current drivers how to do it it begins to look like JL might be losing the plot ?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:35 (Ref:621786)   #2
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes this is an interesting one. JL not being that clued up with PR or people's feelings, I am not surprised.

He is clearly thinking that if his current 4 drivers don't perform, which they haven't, he will not get full paying drivers for next year. By bringing in WB it shows that the car/team is quick. The problem is that all the cars will be set up with WB's settings from last year because they are deemed to be the best set-ups. He should, and probably will, get in the new car and put it on pole, and, Hey Presto! Comtec are a great team after all.

I know what I would do if I was driving for Comtec.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:624997)   #3
pit/boy
Rookie

pit/boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you do. I went to Silverstone and saw a well drilled and happy team win the race,Also there was a car for Barber in the awnining.when I asked I was told he will be out in it this week and he will race soon?Also my son was given a "who the hell is Dan Clarke " tee shirt and he likes Dan , he is 4 so thats just fine by me.As for clued up on PR I think you may all be missing the point.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:26 (Ref:625017)   #4
Fred
Racer

Also my son was given a "who the hell is Dan Clarke " tee shirt and he likes Dan , he is 4 so thats just fine by me.As for clued up on PR I think you may all be missing the point. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm happy for you to explain the point. Plus, who gave you the T shirt ?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 07:10 (Ref:625313)   #5
pit/boy
Rookie

pit/boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not know who it was Maybe a mecanic, but the team seem to be freindy and nice to people that stop to talk to them?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 19:04 (Ref:626283)   #6
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should think there is a bit of tension between Clarke and Jarvis after Sundays incident.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 21:42 (Ref:626498)   #7
Fred
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by pit/boy
I do not know who it was Maybe a mecanic, but the team seem to be freindy and nice to people that stop to talk to them?
I don't have anything against DC, or his team, His PR mob are rather tiresome and manage to wind people up in an inappropriate way but that may be down to their background ( the music biz ) experience being of a different type.

He seems fast enough but very erratic and inclined to believe the rubbish. I too enjoy 'characters' in motor racing ( I grew up reading about Pedro Rodriquez, Jo Siffert, Bruce McLaren and people like that ) but there is a difference between character and just acting up. DC appears to act/speak first and ask no questions of himself afterwards. He doesn't appear to learn from his mistakes because he repeats them regularly.

With regard to the team; they are a former works squad, they are reputed to ask for £150,000 per year to run someone in the championship, plus they have regular and lucrative sponsorship, at a time when others struggle hard to find paying drivers. They were expected to dominate this year as hte works team did in previous years but they are losing out in a big way to "lesser" ( more tightly run ? ) teams. The Drivers appear to be to happy snubbing and bickering with each other to get on with the job.

If they fail to win the championship this year they may well sink without trace, because ( in cliched terms ) they appear to be trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If they do go down then JL's demise will likely be greeted with muted cheering, such is the esteem in which he is held by other teams.

That would be a mistake on the part of the other teams because if such a well funded team can go what does that say about the others ?
Old 10 Jun 2003, 00:26 (Ref:626624)   #8
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wise words. Yet even if they fail this year (and I can't see that happening now - I think Gaymor, who has been around a long time, might just have his tail up and be on a roll?) it would surely take more than a year for them to disappear? Everyone remembers the works Van Diemens, and this is essentially what they still are. If they don't put up a great performance, people will put it down to a mediocre crop of drivers, and look for a better bunch next year.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 11 Jun 2003, 17:24 (Ref:628507)   #9
Fred
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jinxx
it would surely take more than a year for them to disappear? Everyone remembers the works Van Diemens, and this is essentially what they still are. If they don't put up a great performance, people will put it down to a mediocre crop of drivers, and look for a better bunch next year. [/B]
But there are other people using the same equipment and doing a better job, It is now a third of the way into the season and they have only just got their first win. You could almost suggest that the real racers with tight budgets would be far better off going with other teams, even if they wish to stay with VD's. If they can't get the results with the level of funding they have ( high fees AND sponsorship )what is going wrong?

The drivers apppear to be quick (and some of them have been quick in other classes) so, with the necessary funding and drivers why are the team as low down the order as they are. Everybody assumed they would continue were the works team left off, perhaps they did too and are only just starting to realise they no longer have that advantage.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 23:47 (Ref:629026)   #10
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They used to use Solus engines - do they still?
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 08:34 (Ref:629184)   #11
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No they use Scholar engines now. Not much between them, although "solus" who I assume is AK would disagree.