Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:458874)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neal closing on Honda deal

According to Autosport mag, Matt Neal is closing on a works drive with Honda for the 2003 BTCC. He tested with the Arena run Honda team in Spain prior to Christmas, as part of the Dunlop tyre testing program. Also present at the test was Alan Morrison and Tom Chilton, the teenager having his 2nd run in the car.

Matt also has options with 888 if they can raise the finance to run additonal cars, but Honda obviously looks the most attractive route.

Could these three drivers be the final 2003 line-up?

ST
Old 28 Dec 2002, 14:37 (Ref:458892)   #2
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks Likely. Good news!!!
Old 28 Dec 2002, 14:39 (Ref:458894)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Looks better for him than the TD/GA deal that had seemed likely.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 14:52 (Ref:458902)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets hope he gets the seat! Honda are obviously a better choice than the tripple 8 team.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:28 (Ref:458918)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Are they? Why do you say that? Honda do look promising but, at the end of the day, Vauxhall have won every single race apart from a handful in the past two years. They have won drivers, constructors and team titles both years too...
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:29 (Ref:458919)   #6
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, a team with 3 wins is clearly a better option than the team that won 20.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:30 (Ref:458920)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Team Dynamics and GA are running Vauxhalls in some kind of works basis, perhaps using the equipment and factory space of the Egg Sport operation, then that may be the best choice, as judging by last season Matt got equal equipment and support whilst with Egg. I don't think Honda will be stronger overall, though by the end of the season they might be.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:35 (Ref:458925)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
As far as I am aware the two Astras that GA/TD are running are 100% independant from Triple Eight and will be run with their own personnel and from their own premises.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:51 (Ref:458929)   #9
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GA/TD astras are last years cars, and are run in their own stable. No real works involvement or funding. They're being run in the same way that the Barwell Astras were.

I hear Vauxhall are decreasing funding for 2003, so Honda might be a good bet with Chilton's wad being delivered in a hercules cargo plane. (don't jump on me chilton people as I know that I am exagerating)
Old 28 Dec 2002, 16:46 (Ref:458953)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Andy gone Honda needs a driver like Matt to fill in. Allan did well but he did not have consistent last year.

It is usually better to join a works program. Honda may not have been extraordinary at the start of the season but by the end they were obviously on the pace. This in a car that raced for the first time at the start of the season. The car was nowhere near developed. Vauxhall's advantage over them was in handling especially brakes. We could have an upset in the making next year.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 17:14 (Ref:458964)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some points of interest.

I spoke with a friend of mine recently, who also happens to be an ex-BTCC driver, he went to the last Donington race - interestingly, he was very impressed with the Honda and IHO, it will be THE car to beat in 2003.

It's fair to say that Arena/Honda have achieved almost as much in one year, as MG did in 2 years, and the momentum from last season is with them.

The only question mark is really Honda's long term commitment to the BTCC. In a recent article Andy Prialux's reason for leaving Honda was their "Will they, won't they" approach for 2003, which led him to jump ship to something that was happening as opposed to something that was 'likely' to happen.

From Matt's point of view it's a great opportunity to land a true works seat, in what will be a championship contender, as opposed to returning to the ranks as an independent in a year old car.

However, it's not a done deal yet and 888 may find the cash to run the satellite team, then he will have a decision to make. No mention of Rydell in the equation, who looks to be in the frame for an Opel DTM seat - after testing for them prior to Christmas.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 19:22 (Ref:459049)   #12
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good luck to matt neal in which ever team/car he decides to drive in, but i would say the astra is probably the safest bet.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 20:37 (Ref:459094)   #13
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to donington this year and watched from Redgate corner/Hollywood and in the sprint race when Priaulx (honda) was attacking Thompson (vauxhall) the vauxhall always ran right up on to the rumble strip while the honda looked very clean and tidy and easy to control and was definately the fastest...
Old 28 Dec 2002, 20:40 (Ref:459095)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Some points of interest.

I spoke with a friend of mine recently, who also happens to be an ex-BTCC driver, he went to the last Donington race - interestingly, he was very impressed with the Honda and IHO, it will be THE car to beat in 2003.

It's fair to say that Arena/Honda have achieved almost as much in one year, as MG did in 2 years, and the momentum from last season is with them.

The only question mark is really Honda's long term commitment to the BTCC. In a recent article Andy Prialux's reason for leaving Honda was their "Will they, won't they" approach for 2003, which led him to jump ship to something that was happening as opposed to something that was 'likely' to happen.

From Matt's point of view it's a great opportunity to land a true works seat, in what will be a championship contender, as opposed to returning to the ranks as an independent in a year old car.

However, it's not a done deal yet and 888 may find the cash to run the satellite team, then he will have a decision to make. No mention of Rydell in the equation, who looks to be in the frame for an Opel DTM seat - after testing for them prior to Christmas.
The problem is though that Honda will probably pay Neal a lot more than a satelite Vauxhall team would
Old 28 Dec 2002, 21:33 (Ref:459119)   #15
Turkington Fan
Rookie

Turkington Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I thought Autosport wasn't out again until Jan 2nd?
Old 28 Dec 2002, 22:25 (Ref:459165)   #16
speedchick
Rookie

speedchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rydell should take over from Andy! Then that will be THE team to beat.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 22:37 (Ref:459194)   #17
SPARK XracingUK
Rookie

SPARK XracingUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Turkington Fan
But I thought Autosport wasn't out again until Jan 2nd?
Yea, i thought it was out in the new yr, i'll go down to WHSmiths tomorrow and have a look, but the autosport web site doesnt seem to be advertising this weeks mag
Old 28 Dec 2002, 22:49 (Ref:459215)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well I have my copy on my desk right here...
Old 28 Dec 2002, 23:02 (Ref:459227)   #19
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where will Paul O'Neill drive for next year??
Old 29 Dec 2002, 02:11 (Ref:459316)   #20
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new edition of autosport is out today - saturday (it is dated january 2nd) because new years day is on wednesday so they will be closed.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:43 (Ref:459541)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope it get's to me before the New year...

IMO I thought the Astra was becoming a little unreliable towards the end of the year, even throughout the year all the drivers were hit with some sort of problems.

Matt would obviously be a much cheaper option than others, and probably just as good.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:20 (Ref:461005)   #22
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that is the case, 50 squid on Matty to win the championship....i`m off down the bookies ..
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:25 (Ref:461054)   #23
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that Matt tried to pit in the Honda bay at Oulton - he must really want to drive them!
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:42 (Ref:461064)   #24
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL Sod that drive thru
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:50 (Ref:464655)   #25
Radisich Fan
Rookie

Radisich Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is the case, and Honda come up with the goods, Matt could will his first championship!