Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Jan 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1812492)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When all is said and done, the IRL could have as many as 21 full-time cars onthe grid, not including the two "wanna-be" drivers, John Herb and Marty Roth.

With Cahill Racing's pending announcement, they will have 18 cars & drivers confirmed.

Probables include Buddy Rice and either Sarah Fisher or Jaime Camara in a second D&R seat, plus PJ Chesson with Fernandez....and from what I'm hearing, at least two of those three are Very Likely...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Jan 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1812611)   #27
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I can't comment on much, as neither holds much of my attention anymore. But I will say that chastising the IRL for running a dated car is a bit silly. How long did Champcar carry on with the same car-engine combo?
not what im saying, champ car have brouhg tout a new car which will do many things for them like attract publicity and new teams, therefore increasing numbers and publicity.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1812671)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
D-A-N-I-C-A P-A-T-R-I-C-K
Danica who? Has she raced since the 2005 Indy 500?
Old 11 Jan 2007, 20:57 (Ref:1812679)   #29
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Danica who? Has she raced since the 2005 Indy 500?
some one boot her out of racing before i personally have to!
Old 11 Jan 2007, 21:02 (Ref:1812682)   #30
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some unfair comments to say the least and no dis respect to anyone especially climb but I don't agree with you're saying mate...

We all thoughT the IRL would struggle to field 13 cars, a bit unfair as by March yet again they would probably find 17 or along those lines. But they are being filled up with un talented drivers. Midiscure to say the least.
And as pointed out, to say everything is all rosey and Champ Car has loads of problems maybe you should look at your own...

The difference Champ Car is attracting big names. Many from Europe. Many GP2 drivers, F3 etc. Even ex F1 team Minardi have made the plunge and Paul said on Autosport it wouldn't be impossible for another f1 team and not as unlikely as it may seem to some.

Champ Car has many new teams, look at what the difference the new car has made, there should be for the first time in a long time, consistently ever 20 cars. The building blocks since 2004 are now starting to show.

Champ Car has only one star team? You'll see many new teams and stars born this year with the more competitive chassis with less adjustments allowed. Some great and good talent from Europe, just look at the names this year in Champ Car from the front to the back of the field. Do the same with the IRL, then you'll see what I'm talking about.

The IRL has four big teams? They are good teams but they are all running old Honda engines as is the whole field. And old Dallaras...Lets not forget they are all ex Champ Car teams (which defines the original point of the IRL IMHO) before they fled for the money etc..And as mentioned they will stay in the IRL.

CC has many new teams??? Hmmm
Star drivers? That's depends on the definition on star drivers, Verstappen might be a big name in Holland and therefore quite important for CC but he's a no namer in the US and therfore not tjat important for the IRL since they are more focusing on the US market where CC tries to concentrate on the international market.

I don't see why the new car is such a good thing, yesy they needed it, but so far they have only sold 35 of them which is a bit concerning I would think.

The IRL top teams are running old cars? What does the car has to do with the quality of the team?
Old 11 Jan 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1812771)   #31
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
CC has many new teams??? Hmmm
Star drivers? That's depends on the definition on star drivers, Verstappen might be a big name in Holland and therefore quite important for CC but he's a no namer in the US and therfore not tjat important for the IRL since they are more focusing on the US market where CC tries to concentrate on the international market.
Carroll, Jani to name but two along with a few other GP2 drivers trying to get a drive etc. Who are from some of the best up and coming drivers from Europe in the large pool next to F1.

Quote:
I don't see why the new car is such a good thing, yesy they needed it, but so far they have only sold 35 of them which is a bit concerning I would think.
Bit concerning? they have only sold 35 so far because they have only made 35 so far. They can't sell cars they haven't made yet...

Quote:
The IRL top teams are running old cars? What does the car has to do with the quality of the team?
Running old cars is less attraction. I added that into my sentance I believe. Should have made a new paragraph.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1813080)   #32
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
luke mate, total respect for yor views, but still IMHO drivers like Jani and Carroll still have to prove "stars"; they, albeit young interesting drivers, still have have to prove more talented, than say, Dixon, Castroneves, Andretti jr etc

And about IRL having some backmarkers, of course it's true, but it's true for every series in the world, starting from F1 and, obviously as well, including CC.

BTW: apart from official quotes, I'm convinced that an European youngster, coming from WSBR/GP2 and going to CC, does it just because he couldn't make it to F1 (even as 3rd driver).
CC is IMHO a second choice to all of them, and (I hope I'm wrong, but) I fear that their F1 chances won't be increased by running in CC.
Seb's case is very meaningful on this purpose.

Last edited by climb; 12 Jan 2007 at 10:03.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1813113)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
enemy-ace and jhansen hit the nail squarely on the head!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1813125)   #34
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Running old cars is less attraction. ..
So you've never been a CC fan up to know, have you
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1813131)   #35
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both series have their difficulties. I mostly follow Champ Car, because that's what we get on TV here in Sweden - though we did get IRL earlier. About star drivers; for me Wilson is kind of a star simply because I remember watching him in F1. Bourdais definantly. Tracy too. But IRL seems to have more of them with Hornish, Castroneves, Wheldon, Kanaan, Franchitti and Andretti.
Few cars is rarely good. Both series had problems with this in 2006; but Champ Car have an announced plan that seems to be doing something, while I have yet to hear about IRL doing the same. So for now it seems to me that CC have the upper hand, if there is one. The only thing that disturbs me about most CC/IRL battles are the die-hard fans of one of the series; why just don't enjoy both?
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1813145)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
IRL: Ganassi, Penske, Andretti, and a real competition inside these teams
How competitive was the Andretti team in 06 ?

Quote:
Among the major open wheel series, IRL is by lightyears the most competitive
Climb I'd admire your commitment but you've got to be kidding.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1813187)   #37
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only difference between a Champcar Fan and an IRL fan is last time I checked, IRL fans don't go into the Champcar forum spewing crap at every possible oppertunity.

You tell us that we're running old cars? I'm sorry, what was the LOLA? You tell us that you have "all the stars" but you'd kill to get Kanaan, Dario, Scott, Marco and Hornish in your series. You come in here EVERY SINGLE YEAR coming up with these claims of 26 car grids when each year you end up mustering 18 at the most. You tell us that your series is more competitive when ONE MAN has won the series 3 times in a row while we have had 3 different winners. We had six different race winners and you had four this year.

We're sick of this allready.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1813189)   #38
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
How competitive was the Andretti team in 06 ?

A bit more than PKV I guess; and they sorted the most interesting young talent of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Climb I'd admire your commitment but you've got to be kidding.
If you just could seriously provide some example against what I say....
Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1813377)   #39
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Carroll, Jani to name but two along with a few other GP2 drivers trying to get a drive etc. Who are from some of the best up and coming drivers from Europe in the large pool next to F1.

Bit concerning? they have only sold 35 so far because they have only made 35 so far. They can't sell cars they haven't made yet...

Running old cars is less attraction. I added that into my sentance I believe. Should have made a new paragraph.

I don't hope that you are seriously are comparing two drivers who have won a couple of GP2 races which Indy 500 winners....
Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:55 (Ref:1813414)   #40
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A bit more than PKV I guess; and they sorted the most interesting young talent of the season.

If you just could seriously provide some example against what I say....
Well, which is it? Andretti is competitive, or Forsythe is not?

I'd say that's an example of where your argument crossed into hyperbole. You can't credit one without doing the same with the other.

IRL is more competitive, but to say light years ahead is IMO a stretch.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1813441)   #41
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
I don't hope that you are seriously are comparing two drivers who have won a couple of GP2 races which Indy 500 winners....
snippy, you can't compare drivers coming into a series that were already in a another series.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1813443)   #42
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
The only difference between a Champcar Fan and an IRL fan is last time I checked, IRL fans don't go into the Champcar forum spewing crap at every possible oppertunity.

Couldn't be more wrong IMHO Hazza. No one hardly post in the IRL Indy Car series board anymore which is a shame, from what I see there is no bashing. There maybe construction critizisium and disagreements, but if you want your bashing, look at the Champ Car forum where un named members daily bash Champ Car and never discuss racing.
I hate Tony George, but that doesn't stop from me from enjoying the excitement of oval racing and the Indy 500.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1813447)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Both series have their difficulties. I mostly follow Champ Car, because that's what we get on TV here in Sweden - though we did get IRL earlier. About star drivers; for me Wilson is kind of a star simply because I remember watching him in F1. Bourdais definantly. Tracy too. But IRL seems to have more of them with Hornish, Castroneves, Wheldon, Kanaan, Franchitti and Andretti.
Few cars is rarely good. Both series had problems with this in 2006; but Champ Car have an announced plan that seems to be doing something, while I have yet to hear about IRL doing the same. So for now it seems to me that CC have the upper hand, if there is one. The only thing that disturbs me about most CC/IRL battles are the die-hard fans of one of the series; why just don't enjoy both?
Couldn't agree more JM, you put it well.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1813448)   #44
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have no action on either OW forum until something remotely inflamatory is posted and more happeneds in two days than in the last month.

Realistically neither OW series is doing much well right now. Both have to spin their success because what else are they going to say?

I *think* the writer of that article was meaning to imply that while both series are struggling at least CC has made attempts to change itself to improve. The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions and expecting different results. He has a point there. Some of the other stuff like the car count and age of car thing I think are unfair to the IRL (eg. aren't the cars 3-4 years old?).
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1813449)   #45
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
You tell us that we're running old cars? I'm sorry, what was the LOLA? You tell us that you have "all the stars" but you'd kill to get Kanaan, Dario, Scott, Marco and Hornish in your series. You come in here EVERY SINGLE YEAR coming up with these claims of 26 car grids when each year you end up mustering 18 at the most. You tell us that your series is more competitive when ONE MAN has won the series 3 times in a row while we have had 3 different winners. We had six different race winners and you had four this year.
That's no what the situation is....The reason why I rank Champ Car now ahead of the IRL and as many do is the new car. The building blocks have been a slow process but visible now. The last few years the IRL had the better overall quality of drivers throughout the field, therefore the most competitive overall field, but now in 2007 that's changed. As I've said the field is increasing to what we thought, and it looks as though there will be a similar grid to last year in the IRL but this time more fill in drivers. Back to the old days of less talent. This is the difference. Champ Car is much more competitive this year. I agree that the past few year some people have said there will be a few more entries then what would probably happen. That's optimism. Where as this time because of the new car and many other things, Champ Car will most likely definitely have over 20 cars from what I can see.
Champ car did have a chassis freeze so they used the old cars for a few years, but that's neither here or there as they have actually done something and built a new car, something the IRL must do for 2008 IMHO else it will be a sinking ship from then on. Where as the CCWS has filled up the leaks and the ship is sailing again.
But that's U.S. open wheel racing as it is today. We all want a merge, it has to be done, it probably won't happen, but hey that's life.

Last edited by luke; 12 Jan 2007 at 16:47.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:52 (Ref:1813457)   #46
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
To luke:
To do think IndyCar would be stronger if they had drivers such as Carroll, Premat and Jani driving in their series?
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:56 (Ref:1813460)   #47
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
To luke:
To do think IndyCar would be stronger if they had drivers such as Carroll, Premat and Jani driving in their series?
Yes definately better then the Chessons, Milka (sorry forgot her second name), PJ Jones, AJ Foyt IVs, and other fill in drivers that do or will finish laps down due to being off the pace. Surely you can see there they are not as good? Carroll, Premat and Jani have what it takes to be in Formula 1. They most probably won't get in so the next best thing is Champ Car.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1813483)   #48
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

We're sick of this allready.
spot on mate! They bore me to death!
Old 12 Jan 2007, 20:31 (Ref:1813574)   #49
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Yes definately better then the Chessons, Milka (sorry forgot her second name), PJ Jones, AJ Foyt IVs, and other fill in drivers that do or will finish laps down due to being off the pace. Surely you can see there they are not as good? Carroll, Premat and Jani have what it takes to be in Formula 1. They most probably won't get in so the next best thing is Champ Car.
Sure, but they are not what IndyCar needs. I think it's more important to develop drivers like Bobby Wilson, Brad Jaeger, Festa, Giebler, Hildebrand these drivers have just as much talent and I hope they will be the future of IndyCar racing, they can hekp the sport alot by staying in ow racing....

And at the same time, I think it's sad that everybody is willing to give drivers from GP2 or F3 a change eben though thry don't care aboyt the history of IndyCar racing or the Indy 500, but nobody is wiling to give Barron, Hearn or Gidley a decent change... unter-reay too...
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1813614)   #50
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Sure, but they are not what IndyCar needs. I think it's more important to develop drivers like Bobby Wilson, Brad Jaeger, Festa, Giebler, Hildebrand these drivers have just as much talent and I hope they will be the future of IndyCar racing, they can hekp the sport alot by staying in ow racing....

And at the same time, I think it's sad that everybody is willing to give drivers from GP2 or F3 a change eben though thry don't care aboyt the history of IndyCar racing or the Indy 500, but nobody is wiling to give Barron, Hearn or Gidley a decent change... unter-reay too...
I agree the IRL has developed Lazier, and especially Hornish who I doubt would have broken through if it wasn't for the IRL. Patrick is another.