Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2002, 13:56 (Ref:274388)   #1
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all who doubt Jacques...

This is something I just read on www.itv.com/f1 -

Jacques Villeneuve has denied speculation that he plans to leave BAR at the end of the season.

Villeneuve said he had been misquoted in reports suggesting he would walk out on the team. Although he admitted he would jump at the chance to race for a top team, he expects to remain at BAR in 2003.

He told the BBC: "I have no reason right now to leave the team. When I said 'enough is enough', I was talking about a time when I will have to make a decision about the end of my career. I was not talking about BAR.

"Everyone expects me to leave at the end of the year, but it makes me laugh. To leave here would be very complicated, and first I would have to see if there were any interesting offers elsewhere.

"If it is to go to a team and start again, I'm not interested. If I had to make a change, it would be to win races or that it was going very badly at BAR."

Villeneuve remains optimistic that BAR’s performance will pick up soon.

He said: "The progress the team will make starting at the Canadian Grand Prix will be important for me.

"After that, it will be easier to think about it, but for now I have no decision to make. I am concentrating on my job with BAR and I will be back with the team next year."

Asked if he could change his mind and leave, he said: "For sure, who knows? Maybe the team won't have the money to pay me, and maybe the team won't exist anymore.

"But there is no reason right now to change."

Villeneuve is thought to earn in the region of £12 million per year. His salary would be a major stumbling block to any possible move.

Looks like Jacques is going to be at BAR for another season, probably due to his decent performence in the last couple of races - pity he hasn't got any points yet
Old 30 Apr 2002, 14:40 (Ref:274427)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two seventh places in a row...poor guy. Maybe next year Willis might be able to do something magic.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 30 Apr 2002, 14:51 (Ref:274432)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV is going to be at BAR because he is on a play and pay contract for 2003, which mean's BAR have to pay him whether he drives the car or not.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 14:52 (Ref:274433)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've had money on him to score a point, and he gets within one place! As a gesture of support for a great maverick character I'll stop going for that particular bet - with my luck that should cause him to immediately get better results!

As far as his salary goes - I can't see any way that BAR could justify paying that kind of money in a climate that has prompted so many redundancies, so he'll have to take a pay cut anyway... in which case there are more options open for a new job.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 19:48 (Ref:274735)   #5
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I will

Last edited by Miss Hardt; 30 Apr 2002 at 19:50.
Old 1 May 2002, 00:03 (Ref:274962)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Willis should definetely design a better car next year. He's already come out and basically said this years car is s***!
Old 1 May 2002, 00:42 (Ref:274982)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Willis should definetely design a better car next year. He's already come out and basically said this years car is s***!
I think that is stating the obvious.

Lets be realistic people. JV is staying at BAR next year (if they want him to) for one reason only - he has no other option. He wont go to a lesser team (are there any?), even if they could afford him. And the good teams *ducks for cover* don't want him. Don't delude yourself it's his pricetag, they big teams will always pay for talent.

He's just not good enough anymore. Sorry to offend anyone, but thats the honest truth.
Old 1 May 2002, 03:05 (Ref:275029)   #8
Mantis13
Racer

Mantis13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to disagree with your last comment Wrex. Villeneuve still has the talent. The problem is that he has continued to stick it out with BAR that has taken him out of the running for more competitive rides. JV's career is winding down as several young drivers have entered the sport. The young drivers are now the 20 - somethings that have great potential. Will a team that's on the rise want to sign the 31 year old Villeneuve for one - two years or a 20 year old who has the potential for a very long career?

I would like to think that Reanult if they feel that they will be able to compete for titles very very soon would offer JV a ride. However the chances are become remote more and more.
Old 1 May 2002, 03:05 (Ref:275030)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The only thing I can conclude from the quote on Jacques is that he is not expecting an invitation from one of the top teams and as a result, is stuck at BAR and so he might as well enjoy the ride. One would have thought that maybe Renault ......., but even that seems rather unlikely.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 1 May 2002, 07:36 (Ref:275127)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As far as his salary goes - I can't see any way that BAR could justify paying that kind of money in a climate that has prompted so many redundancies, so he'll have to take a pay cut anyway... in which case there are more options open for a new job. [/B][/QUOTE]

JV is guaranteed that money, so they'll be no pay cut. David Richard's has already said that they don't need to pay superstars until they get the car right. Unfortunately for BAR, Pollock 'negotiated' a 'play and pay' contract for JV which mean they have to pay him even if he doesn't drive.

The fact that Pollock negotiated such a good deal for JV, that they couldn't get out of and charged his commission, whilst still being team boss, was another factor in BAR's 'unhappiness' with Pollock.
Old 1 May 2002, 08:19 (Ref:275155)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he's still good, but I do agree with Wrex - the reason he's staying is that no one else wants him.
Old 1 May 2002, 08:29 (Ref:275170)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame JV ever went to BAR. Basically destroyed his career.

Or he should have had more guts, and looked past the money, and moved to another team earlier on.
Old 1 May 2002, 10:54 (Ref:275356)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Now, if only he had stayed with Williams..........

Old 1 May 2002, 22:54 (Ref:275988)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jean Alesi had gone to Williams instead of Ferrari...

If TGF hadn't rammed Damon off the track on the way to "winning" the championship ...

If Williams had the car in 1994 that it had in 1993 ...

If TGF had elbowed Senna aside and taken the Williams drive in '94 and Senna had gone to Ferarri ...

And if Jacques had not been hypnotized by Craig Pollock until he suddenly woke up and realised he's 31 years old, hasn't won a race in 4 years, is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpaid, and every team in the paddock has a PDA stuffed with very quick 19 year olds who will work for Cheerios ...

... then F1 would be different from what it is today.

But none of those things happened.
Old 2 May 2002, 00:26 (Ref:276019)   #15
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

And if Jacques had not been hypnotized by Craig Pollock until he suddenly woke up and realised he's 31 years old, hasn't won a race in 4 years, is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpaid
Unfortunately Liz - I think he enjoyed being over paid, spoilt and didnt really care whether he won a race or not until perhaps the middle of the 2000 season when he may have gotten a wake up call.

Pollock did mess him over but at the end of the day - Jacques unfortunately was himself responsible for screwing up his career.

Maybe he doesent have the same hunger as his father did.

Equally for that matter, maybe its unfair for us to expect him to be like his father.

Unfortunately, I doubt whether I'm gonna see a Canadian winner in a F1 race for a long time to come - let alone a Canadian F1 Champion....thats the part that really does suck.
Old 2 May 2002, 01:06 (Ref:276030)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very true. Everyone with a soul eventually realises that there is more to life than being able to buy anything and anyone you may -- for the next 1/100th of a second -- think you want. Well, unless Jacques buys Ferrari or Williams, maybe he's finally found the one thing he wants is the one thing his bankroll won't buy him.

A seat in a winning team.

Since the Players Racing Young Drivers Program was disbanded due to Anti-Tobacco Nanny, we don't even have anybody coming up through the ranks that would make it into Minardi. This is very sad. Fortunately it looks as if we've got some real contenders in Champ Cars though.
Old 2 May 2002, 01:21 (Ref:276037)   #17
Dachau
Rookie

Dachau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His career is history with BAR, and I doubt whether he will ever win a race again with anyone.
Old 2 May 2002, 01:28 (Ref:276041)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
There are too many young turks coming on the F1 scene. Massa's effort last weekend was astonishing, so was the Bunsen's, and there are still many others like Junqueira, Webbster, and a couple of young Aussis, just waiting on the fringe hoping for a top drive, and who probably will be team players and not highly paid individuals. Sure, if you put Jacques into one of the top four, you will get wins, no question. But who is to say that Bunsen, Massa (in the future), the Webbster, Fisi, Trulli, Kimi, Nick and so on will not be just as good in the same car? Has Jacques talked himself out of a top drive, that's the question.

Old 2 May 2002, 01:48 (Ref:276050)   #19
Dachau
Rookie

Dachau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting VB, maybe he has talked himself out of a top drive. He certainly wouldnt endear himself to many teams with his attitudes to promotional work and his large salary.
Old 2 May 2002, 02:25 (Ref:276063)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quoting, but not necessarily agreeing witb, ValveBounce...

"Junqueira, Webbster, and a couple of young Aussis... Bunsen, Massa (in the future), the Webbster, Fisi, Trulli, Kimi, Nick and so on will not be just as good in the same car?

Okay. Following Pollock's lead wasn't in Jacques' best interests. That's been covered. But a driver doesn't "forget" how to drive in a matter of a few years. Remember CART, the most competitive series of all. (Argue if you will.) Rookie-of-the-Year, he was. Won the title and the Indy as a sophomore. Did the exact same thing in F1. So don't question his talent. Or his desire. What he needs is a change. Get out of BAR. Land a solid ride and win races. But that ain't gonna happen. That's also been covered here. I stand behind the things that I was saying years ago, that Villeneuve is every bit as good as Schumacher. His management did him wrong. He could win again, but will he?
Old 2 May 2002, 02:44 (Ref:276067)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Macdaddy, what I am saying is that Jacques (who was my favourite from before he joined Williams) could win in a top team. I am sure if Rubens got sick, and suddenly Jacques was invited to drive for Ferrari, he would be on the podium immediately, perhaps the top step. However, his high salary plus his inability to be a team man, plus many of the things he has said concerning the top teams could cost him a place in a top team when there are many other capable and lesser salaried drivers just itching to have the chance in a top team also. And many of these guys will fit much easier into any team. I mean, who is to say the Webbster couldn't win if he was driving a Ferrari next week? That is the point I am making.

Old 2 May 2002, 19:32 (Ref:276706)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No argument from me.
Old 2 May 2002, 19:33 (Ref:276707)   #23
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see him leaving as he is forming a good relationship with Dave Richards.
Old 2 May 2002, 19:46 (Ref:276721)   #24
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
It's a shame JV ever went to BAR. Basically destroyed his career.

Or he should have had more guts, and looked past the money, and moved to another team earlier on.
He hadn´t other choice. It was about paying debts to people,who rose him from mediocrite Japanse F3 driver to Indy winner, who broght him into the best team in Formula one of that time. Whom he must thank for his title. Qui pro quo!
Old 2 May 2002, 19:56 (Ref:276735)   #25
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what the truth of the matter is, but I hope that our Russian Friend is correct. I'd like to think that loyalty and integrity can still be found these days, even at the highest level of professional sport.