Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jan 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2607947)   #126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah,

You've fallen into the trap. Certainly they are front heavy but the "excessive" understeer was an urban legend brought about by the then BL management wanting to increase the profile of Triumph at the expense of MG. They apparently set the tyre pressures too low. And of course nowadays they can be made to handle extremely well.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2607950)   #127
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I never really read that its just what it felt like to me and I did take it for a damned good road test like you do as we were driving this thing to Spain, in some ways I wish the other guy had not turned up with the Bentley at the last minute as I was kinda looking forward to the trip in the C as it was a really nice car then I would really have been able to push it. Mind you an S3 Bentley in the early 70's in Franco's Spain was a real hoot amoungst all the Faits and 2CV's, we had people posing by it to have their photos taken and they thought we were a pop group or something which of course we didnt exploit ;-). Back to the C it just never felt so good as the Healy and if you look at the point where the engine is inline with the front axle line its far more forward than the big Healy hence the lump in the bonnet.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2607961)   #128
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Back to the C it just never felt so good as the Healy and if you look at the point where the engine is inline with the front axle line its far more forward than the big Healy hence the lump in the bonnet.
Yes as I said the balance could have been better. It's also not a Healey engine which I believe would have been shorter.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2607964)   #129
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Surely it is the same straight 6 i.e. the C series, no?
Old 4 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2607969)   #130
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Actually you are right Pete (almost) as I have just researched it like you do. Apparently the engine shares the same bore and stroke but little else and was thin wall casting last development of the 'C' series engine. In fact it weighted 45lbs lighter than the Healy 3000 unit and was only fitted in the MGC and Austin 3 litre saloon then fazed out.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2608384)   #131
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
CJCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
What happened to the avatar Chris? [Just realised who you are!]
Wrong Chris... After searching the forum, I think your talking about the guy who has an avatar of a Porsche Safety Car?

As for the rollcage, if the engine is under 2000cc than that cage is fine, according to "blue book"

Rgds

Chris Astley
Old 5 Jan 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2608400)   #132
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up,bit confusing with two of you.
As to the engine,it is a three litre.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2608579)   #133
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
CJCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as for Works MGB's, has anybody made a replica of the car was originally red, but then had to be painted green for the "national colours" thus leaving the engine bay, inside of doors etc red. I have recently purchased a "to be" FIA car, currently red, and thought that it would be unusual to see one of this ilk. Also, does anybody know what colour the front valance was on this car, or if anybody has information on this car, any will be appreciated.

Rgds

Chris Astley
Old 5 Jan 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2608616)   #134
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that some of the Targa cars were originally painted red and then changed to green on the outside only. I am sure Terry will be able to help a little on the B history front. All I know is what I've read in the Works MG book.

Regarding the C. I was having a quick chat with John Chatham earlier in December and he thought the MGC was a nice handling car and didn't mention any issues with excessive understeer. That said, his car used an all ally motor and they eventually moved the engine 4 inches back from the standard position. I am currently looking for one to build a replica of John's Targa car.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2608630)   #135
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Errr fitting a non standard all alloy engine moved back 4 inches would have totally changed the handling situation, its like comparing chalk to cheese compared to the standard road car so I stand by my original appraisal of the standard car when I drove one years ago, i.e. nose heavy and understeering!!! If I was to put a lightweight all alloy LS6 engine in my Chevy set back 4" I am sure I would cure some of my Camaro's understeer! :-)
Old 6 Jan 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2608711)   #136
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The works cars (the original ones) ran an all alloy engine. As to re location that was a Chatham special and not a works mod.

Al, I'm not going to defend them because I agree to a point. But there was a distinct lack of understanding of the suspension and the tyre pressures when they were first launched. If you read the books you'll find that very soon owners learned to ignore the manuals and set the cars up independantly. In fact Downton produced a version that was very good. The handling was never going to match that of the B but then again the MG works had tried to stop Isigonis from going down the straight 6 route for the reasons you state.

Nowadays of course, with better bushing and that pushrod suspension they are a much more competitive prospect. They are also a very good long legged GT for cruising the continent.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2608767)   #137
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right Peter,a little known fact is that the original plan was an OHC Alloy engine,shame they pulled the plug!. The overall feeling is that most of the bad press was down to most of the scribe's not being good enough drivers in those days,non of the works drivers complained about excessive u/steer! They really do not take much to set up,classic Koni's,bushes etc turns them into a pretty nimble car.Now,where did I leave that alloy block?

Last edited by terence; 6 Jan 2010 at 08:31.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2608794)   #138
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Errr fitting a non standard all alloy engine moved back 4 inches would have totally changed the handling situation, its like comparing chalk to cheese compared to the standard road car so I stand by my original appraisal of the standard car when I drove one years ago, i.e. nose heavy and understeering!!! If I was to put a lightweight all alloy LS6 engine in my Chevy set back 4" I am sure I would cure some of my Camaro's understeer! :-)

Al,

I don't disagree with anything you have said in your post, I was simply telling you what he did to his race car.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2620389)   #139
MFFAN
Rookie

MFFAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
as for Works MGB's, has anybody made a replica of the car was originally red, but then had to be painted green for the "national colours" thus leaving the engine bay, inside of doors etc red.
Yes this is what I have done, although based on a factory BGTV8 rather than a "C"
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00188.JPG   DSC00203.JPG  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2620443)   #140
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That is exactly what I did with a C.It was already built as a replica,Alloy front wings etc,when my then boss bought it from Colin Pearcy,through Gerry,it was finished in Tartan Red. We repainted it in BRG keaving the door shuts,engine bay etc.Registration number GYH 5H.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2620449)   #141
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cough, cough....

Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2620498)   #142
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFAN View Post
Yes this is what I have done, although based on a factory BGTV8 rather than a "C"
Sorry I understand that its trying to recreate an old car even in period even if that car was not correct at the time but was that really worth the effort? I can't help think it would have been better all green.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2620555)   #143
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ah yes,the other car.Thanks Gregor

Turned to be a good car,once I'd had a look under the Ally sheeting that was pretending to be 'Heal Plates',turned out to be covering the rust holes in the floor.Engine problem only involved clearing out the Cam bearing Oilways,obviously they had never been done when the engine was 'built'.

[Where did I get the other number from,worried now!!]

Last edited by terence; 27 Jan 2010 at 20:25.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2620851)   #144
MFFAN
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry I understand that its trying to recreate an old car even in period even if that car was not correct at the time but was that really worth the effort?
Well it's what I wanted to do so.... errrrr.... yes
Old 28 Jan 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2620873)   #145
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It looks a very nice job,only thing that spoils the effect are the mounts for the Rubber Bumper.Sorry to be picky but you have obviously gone to an awfull lot of time/expense,just a shame you didn't just 'slice' off the chassis rail tops.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2620903)   #146
MFFAN
Rookie

Thanks for the comments, the car has changed quite a bit since those pics were taken and the front bumper mounts are now hiding quietly behind a custom grille
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2620943)   #147
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats called'cheating'.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2621016)   #148
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Maybe it would have been better to do a vinyl wrap on it! Thats what you get when you do a colour change with vinyl thinking of doing it on one of my my cars from black to white leaving the door shuts and under the bonnet white, wonder if anyone will want to copy this in 30 years time, no maybe not.

Sorry I am pulling your leg I used to be in the garage game and we used to do resprays and sales and it was always a big no no on a car to have different colour door shuts etc than the outside, always looked at with suspicion of a bad repaint or dubious past which is obviously not the case with your car as it must have been hard to achieve what you wanted here. Its like a Les Dawson playing the piano and missing keys for laughs, my old mum always reconed that was harder than playing it correctly!

BTW great looking car.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 28 Jan 2010 at 13:45.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2621114)   #149
MFFAN
Rookie

There's already some of your vynl on it Al ..those 22" roundels
Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2621128)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFAN View Post
There's already some of your vynl on it Al ..those 22" roundels
He knew that!

But FWIW they are great looking cars, not sure whether it's proportion or just because they look bigger than actual size. Can't fathom it, Ferrari or Aston they are not, but lookers they surely are.

Tags
historic racing, mgc gts, sebring