Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Sep 2022, 09:34 (Ref:4125939)   #76
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I assume that Hyundai have accepted defeat in the drivers championship already - otherwise surely they'd have switched Neuville and Tanak to try and take advantage of a bad weekend for Rovanpera.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 10:21 (Ref:4125944)   #77
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I assume that Hyundai have accepted defeat in the drivers championship already - otherwise surely they'd have switched Neuville and Tanak to try and take advantage of a bad weekend for Rovanpera.
To accept defeat, is the sign of losers. You keep going, pushing until it's over, you never give up. It reflects poorly on the team/organisation.

Tanak still had/has a chance of the title, however remote that might be - the solution was to swap positions - and they keep their 1-2-3 podium sweep.

That they didn't swap, has all the signs of not wanting to upset a driver.....which is never a good reason.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 14:59 (Ref:4125984)   #78
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
To accept defeat, is the sign of losers. You keep going, pushing until it's over, you never give up. It reflects poorly on the team/organisation.

Tanak still had/has a chance of the title, however remote that might be - the solution was to swap positions - and they keep their 1-2-3 podium sweep.

That they didn't swap, has all the signs of not wanting to upset a driver.....which is never a good reason.
Agreed, it seemed a very odd decision, they were in complete control, the drivers backed off to maintain the 1-2-3 - so why not switch Neuville and Tanak? I know that there's very little chance of Tanak catching Rovanpera even if they had swapped but surely you'd give yourself the best shot?
Old 16 Sep 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4126219)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great clean sweep from Hyundai. Great win from Neuville. Tanak keeps his title hopes alive with 2nd. However despite a couple of bad results, the ball is still in Rovanpera's court with three rallies to go.

M-Sport were going so well till the end. Loeb looked gutted having to retire. He's still got enough in him to do a good job.

Anyway another great Acropolis rally, this is a classic event that I hope continues for some time yet
Old 16 Sep 2022, 15:09 (Ref:4126245)   #80
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ott Tänak is rumored to leave Hyundai to Ford.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...rows/10368786/
Old 16 Sep 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4126246)   #81
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In other news, Heikki Kovalainen won the All-Japan Rally Championship.
Old 16 Sep 2022, 16:00 (Ref:4126253)   #82
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ott Tänak is rumored to leave Hyundai to Ford.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...rows/10368786/
If he's unhappy with the reliability at Hyundai is M-Sport an improvement? So far this year the Puma hasn't exactly been bulletproof. If the problem is more with the management of the team then a move is more likely.

Presumably if Tanak does move then Solberg and Sordo will get full season drives - unless there are other candidates for the seat? Mikklesen maybe? Suninen?
Old 17 Sep 2022, 09:01 (Ref:4126315)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There must be something internally wrong if Tanak is leaving the more competitive Hyundai for M-Sport. Unless he sees a lot of potential with M-Sport, if they can get their reliability sorted out
Old 19 Sep 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4126477)   #84
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
If only it was Ford, and not M-Sport. Unless Ford provides more funding then it's hard to see them getting a lot better; and affording a driver like Tanak.
Old 20 Sep 2022, 06:29 (Ref:4126555)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe we should watch this space. There's every chance Ford might have something lined up
Old 20 Sep 2022, 20:24 (Ref:4126631)   #86
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There must be something internally wrong if Tanak is leaving the more competitive Hyundai for M-Sport. Unless he sees a lot of potential with M-Sport, if they can get their reliability sorted out
Perhaps he knows something we don't? I hope he doesn't become the Alonso of the modern era WRC i.e. somehow losing out at team politics and walking away at the wrong time to the wrong car and ending up with far fewer championships than he might have won. We'll see.

Anyway, I see the Acropolis was its usual cruel self to cars and drivers! Does anybody actually enjoy driving it? It's brutal stuff. Impressed with Loubet but then we've seen this before from other young French drivers, blinding pace initially then it all somehow doesn't quite lead anywhere except lots of crashes and a quite exit from the top class.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4128434)   #87
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
King Kalle rewrites history as the youngest WRC champion ever with 2 races to go in the 2022 season
Old 2 Oct 2022, 16:40 (Ref:4128437)   #88
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
It's been inevitable for a while but he's now confirmed - and thoroughly deserved it is as well. Rovanpera has totally destroyed the opposition this season.

New Zealand looked like a great event from what I've seen of the coverage - the stages looked good and the weather made it tricky. M-Sport manage to throw away another promising start to an event, they just can't seem to get a result to stick can they?
Old 3 Oct 2022, 14:40 (Ref:4128540)   #89
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
Rally NZ should always be in the WRC; the best gravel roads in the world, great scenery, and a large and enthusiastic following. Just what the Promoters need to sell the sport.

Well done to Kalle; from mid season it had an air of inevitability about it. If only Ott had a more reliable car - he's the only one who looks to keep him honest.

The sport can't afford another era of domination by a driver....

And finally, more evidence that SvG is probably the most complete driver in motorsport; after a handful of rallies, a podium in WRC2, and 9th overall. Quick in everything!!
Old 7 Oct 2022, 09:29 (Ref:4128984)   #90
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
New Zealand looked like a great event from what I've seen of the coverage - the stages looked good and the weather made it tricky. M-Sport manage to throw away another promising start to an event, they just can't seem to get a result to stick can they?
So frustrating to watch; I have been hoping for good results for Breen and the Puma this year and New Zealand started with such promise.

The best man has - in my opinion - taken the title though. Despite his little wobble mid-season, Kalle has been the class of the field this year. Sure the car helps, but his performance has been immense.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 23:36 (Ref:4129082)   #91
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
...SvG is probably the most complete driver in motorsport; after a handful of rallies, a podium in WRC2, and 9th overall. Quick in everything!!
I couldn't agree more! I'm a bit of a fan. The sort of driver I would travel a long way to see drive something. I would love to see some of his onboards from the rally.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 23:48 (Ref:4129083)   #92
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
...M-Sport ...they just can't seem to get a result to stick can they?
To be fair, when potential good results have been thrown away, it has tended to be fairly early in the rally i.e. day 1 when they're taking advantage of road positioning so I wouldn't necessarily use the word 'result'. I don't think we've seen them be in the top positions on Sunday morning for instance.
Old 8 Oct 2022, 07:22 (Ref:4129138)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Well done to Kalle. Youngest champion, imagine what more he will achieve now? His father Harri should be proud. I've been aware of Kalle since I saw that video of him when he was about 10 driving that rally car on snow. Getting the fastest time on the power stage must have really felt sweet

SVG did well, as people say, he's an excellent all rounder

Two rallies to go, with the title done, it's gonna be very interesting.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 21:02 (Ref:4131682)   #94
cg7aa
Veteran

So then, Ott Tanak...
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:29 (Ref:4131734)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

Ogier really was on fire at the weekend. While others had problems or made mistakes, he rarely put a foot wrong.

As for Tanak, his move from Hyundai could really shake things up
Old 28 Oct 2022, 11:07 (Ref:4131753)   #96
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Tanak has appeared unhappy at Hyundai for a while although to be fair I'm not sure any of the drivers there have looked particularly happy since the new generation of cars was introduced. With Tanak leaving, Solberg ejected it looks like a big shakeup at Hyundai. Where does Tanak go? Is there a full time seat at Toyota? I guess it depends if Ogier wants to do another part season? Can M-Sport afford Tanak?
Old 29 Oct 2022, 20:48 (Ref:4131967)   #97
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cambrian Rally

Just home after a 17 hour round trip, well worth it to see Ollie Solburg win it in his VW Polo GTi, as good as his World Champion Dad?
Time will tell.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 18:35 (Ref:4132074)   #98
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Just home after a 17 hour round trip, well worth it to see Ollie Solburg win it in his VW Polo GTi, as good as his World Champion Dad?
Time will tell.
Volkswagen? Isn't he a Hyundai driver since 2020 or 2021?
Old 30 Oct 2022, 20:22 (Ref:4132092)   #99
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not yesterday.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 21:33 (Ref:4132106)   #100
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Time will tell.
What event was this at?