Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Dec 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2800818)   #1
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2011 - long evenings again

So, who's doing all three days this time (22nd-24th July 2011) ?

Just got the sales blurb through for the 2011 event and had a crawl around the web site for info. Looks like a good event for the punters / racers, but long days for marshals again! No mention whether they will try to work us through the lunch break again .....

It does seem that they have listened to some of the feedback (from punters?) and they've gone posh on Sunday with a 40 piece orchestra - beats z-list non celebs!

Annoyingly, they seem to have gone with the cash and are running celeb races again - no mention of what cars this time, but last year's Abarths are up for sale via the site. I doubt that they'll be trusted with anybody's classic pride and joy though?

http://silverstoneclassic.com/plan-y...map-timetable/

Friday 22nd July – 0900 to 1900 hrs
  • All qualifying sessions (apart from Celebrity Race)

Saturday 23rd July – 0900 to 2100 hrs
  • Grand Prix Masters F1
  • HGPCA Rear engine pre 66 Grand Prix
  • HGPCA Front engine pre 61 Grand Prix
  • Group C endurance cars
  • Historic Formula Junior
  • HSCC Big engine Touring Cars
  • E type Celebration race
  • Masters Gentleman Drivers GT
  • Italian Historic Sports Car Cup
  • RAC Woodcote Trophy for pre 56 Sports Cars
  • U2TC
  • Celebrity Race

Sunday 24th July – 0900 to 1800 hrs
  • Grand Prix Masters F1
  • HGPCA Rear engine pre 66 Grand Prix
  • HGPCA Front engine pre 61 Grand Prix
  • Group C endurance cars
  • Historic Formula Junior
  • HSCC Big engine Touring Cars
  • E type Celebration race
  • WSM Sports Cars
  • RAC Tourist Trophy for Historic Cars
  • Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for pre 61 Sports Cars
Old 7 Dec 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2800948)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, much the same as last year.
I do hope they sort out the celeb qualifying/race a lot better, and not have us hanging around at the end of the day.
Can we please have the Group C race as the last race on Saturday.
Pleased the big engined touring cars are back and a big grid of E-types would be good.

see you there DJ.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2800955)   #3
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, thats 31 hours on Duty, plus add an hour earler to sign on, makes 34 hours, you cannot legally drive a truck for those hours!
Old 7 Dec 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2800976)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall vote with my feet again, haven't done this meeting for a while now because of the late finishes
Old 7 Dec 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2801046)   #5
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After my experience in 2010 - long days, all and sundry walking through the garages into the pit lane, the lack of space in the camp site, i shall give it a miss in 2011
Old 7 Dec 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2801062)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be giving it a miss next year for similar reasons to those already posted. However, the early confirmation of times and content is appreciated - it does make it easier to plan things.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2801111)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
il sign up but as long as its a decent race on saturday night, the world sportscar masters 2 years ago was awesome and deserves its place as the highlight of the weekend, not some race for celebrities or 18 odd ferraris....hope the organisers make it something to stay awake for!
Old 7 Dec 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2801112)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have gone this year again even with the long days and lack of assistance from security in keeping the general public out of the pitlane but I'm going Belgium on the Saturday so i won't be there.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2801123)   #9
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted with my feet many years ago, stuff them!!!!!

Bladders...........
Old 8 Dec 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2801304)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hasn't anyone got anything positive to say? We seem to be going down the winging road again.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2801307)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately some clubs make you whinge by their attitudes to Marshals and their needs.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2801310)   #12
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
Hasn't anyone got anything positive to say? We seem to be going down the winging road again.
Yup! I'm positive that celebs in modern cars isn't "Classic" & I'm positive that the very long days last year were unacceptable!

I'll still be there, but seriously considering either missing one day out, or making it clear that I'm volunteering for half-day only on the Saturday?

What does the marshals' "union" have to say about the dangers of such long sessions?? Discontent over 2010 arrangements was made pretty clear on here after the last one, but nothing seems to have improved for us for 2011.

Seriously, at last years event, posts in my area had a significant proportion of no-shows on Sunday because they missed out on seeing anything on the Saturday. It made it difficult to stand folk down for a break on Sunday when we were already short and tired.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2801330)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
First of all there is no 'union' as you put it. The BMMC have made their voice clear at MSA and other areas over long working days but that's not the topic of conversation here.

My point was, and still is, that we seem to be negative about so many things these days, to the point it starts to put people off becoming marshals.

If you don't like the long hours or feel you haven't been treated as you would like then the best way forward is to make the organising club aware of your concerns and not to volunteer for that particular meeting in the future.

I'm not for one minute suggesting we should only make positive comments but thread after thread these days seems to be filled with negativity.

Anyhow, back to the topic of the thread.........
Old 8 Dec 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2801362)   #14
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
HEAR HEAR!!!
Old 8 Dec 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2801364)   #15
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
is it just me but i actually love the long day at the classic, love twiight races...HOWEVER!!!....it needs to be something worth staying up for....put the group c or WSM back as the night race....truely awesome
Old 8 Dec 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2801368)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
is it just me but i actually love the long day at the classic, love twiight races...HOWEVER!!!....it needs to be something worth staying up for....put the group c or WSM back as the night race....truely awesome
Indeed, it would be boring if we all liked the same wouldn't it?
Old 8 Dec 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2801370)   #17
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It it unacceptable though?! Why not just do until 6pm?

Who says you have to do the full day? If that is the only reason then please reconsider. It is a great meeting.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2801531)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

to be fair they do have an evening break before the last race, and people know what they sign up for

i see the evening race as the highlight of the weekend to be honest, the sight of 50 t70s, ferraris, chevrons etc racing into the darkness is stunning
Old 8 Dec 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2801550)   #19
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nadine and I are going
Old 8 Dec 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2801567)   #20
pixie2308
Rookie

England
South Warwickshire, Middle England
pixie2308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wont be going this year ... again the chaos in the pits and paddock and the amazement at the end that noone got hurt as small children were wandering around where cars were moving at speed to grid up via the garages!!! but at least in the pits we managed to get some breaks!
The long days, cancelled breaks .... being too tired to go to invited parties, bbq's or even attend the fairground and concerts. OK it has to be admitted that missing Jedward was a bonus!!
The grief from a post chief when someone asked for time out, in a lunchbreak (?) to see family that had travelled to be there to be told if you take time off post you can go now for the day (having gloves thrown at them) ... they left post!!! they were one of those that had done all day Friday and Saturday and this was Sunday lunch; they were newbie and not at all happy!
A good event but too much pressure on marshals for it to be inherently safe ... a tired marshal is not the best!
As they say ... dont moan if you dont do it... did it and learned
Old 8 Dec 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2801597)   #21
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have never been happy with the long Saturday (followed by an early start on Sunday) and I have always finished at 6pm. As good as the cars are in the last I go home. The organisers would rather know what your plans are and they will work around you.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2801635)   #22
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there again-always been one of my favourite meetings. Yes, it's a long day on Saturday but I marshal because I enjoy marshalling-why on earth worry about a meeting being a couple of hours longer than the norm?
Old 8 Dec 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2801646)   #23
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
to be fair they do have an evening break before the last race, and people know what they sign up for

i see the evening race as the highlight of the weekend to be honest, the sight of 50 t70s, ferraris, chevrons etc racing into the darkness is stunning
they have an evening break programmed, this year we got 20 minutes stand down all day, I took thr initative to split the team and stand half down and rotate to esure all got a decent break. Surely this is down to the Post chiefs to arrange as it is there responsibility to look after the team and ensure their welfare is catered for.

Over the weekend I lost 3 marshals to heat and the team had 2 huge incidents to deal with which they did expertly and with out complaint, not bad for 50% trainee.

I will be there again this year, hopefully the off track entertainments will be timed better to ensure those marshals with families can enjoy the concerts etc with their family.

I dont volunteer for this meeting for the club organising it, I volunteer for the sights and sounds of the classic cars I was unlucky enough not to see in their heyday. I used to love the Le Mans when the Group C were the car of choice, now this is the only chance I get to see them in the flesh. The historic Formula 1 and grand prix cars again I can only get to see them at the classic.

Ok so the club might not apreciate what we do enough, they might extract the urine with the long days and no breaks. They might also be money grabbing so and so's with the boring celeb race, but where else can you get the massive grids of classic cars that make you drool.

Not sure if the wife will get time off work but I will be there.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2801654)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
I dont volunteer for this meeting for the club organising it, I volunteer for the sights and sounds of the classic cars I was unlucky enough not to see in their heyday. I used to love the Le Mans when the Group C were the car of choice, now this is the only chance I get to see them in the flesh. The historic Formula 1 and grand prix cars again I can only get to see them at the classic.

Ok so the club might not apreciate what we do enough, they might extract the urine with the long days and no breaks. They might also be money grabbing so and so's with the boring celeb race, but where else can you get the massive grids of classic cars that make you drool.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2801690)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
they have an evening break programmed, this year we got 20 minutes stand down all day, I took thr initative to split the team and stand half down and rotate to esure all got a decent break. Surely this is down to the Post chiefs to arrange as it is there responsibility to look after the team and ensure their welfare is catered for.

Over the weekend I lost 3 marshals to heat and the team had 2 huge incidents to deal with which they did expertly and with out complaint, not bad for 50% trainee.

I will be there again this year, hopefully the off track entertainments will be timed better to ensure those marshals with families can enjoy the concerts etc with their family.

Not sure if the wife will get time off work but I will be there.
completely 100 percent agree, its one of the highlights of the year, and yes its down to the post cheifs to organise stand down, theres usually enough of us to rotate down time, maybe it should be said in briefing at the start of the day that if the situation of ost time occurs then post chiefs should rotate