Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1343322)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cost of marshalling F1 tests - Autosport article 16th June.

Catching up on my reading of Autosport (several weeks behind) I came across an article which says that the cost of providing marshalling and medical cover at a multi-day F1 test would be around £200,000 'according to senior F1 sources'. It goes on to say that 'the cost of such cover at this year's Australian GP was just over £400,000, but for testing it would be "less than half that"'

So this raises my curiosity as to how these two figures were arrived at.

First of all - correct me if I'm wrong - I believe that overalls and some food is provided in Australia, not sure about any subsistence allowances. In the UK I think they still pay £5 per day.

Does this means that they'd be expecting marshals to give their time equally cheaply (free!) for testing by these mega-buck operations? And why on earth would it be half the cost for testing than it was for the actual GP, presumably for the same cover? Spectator marshals not required?

I want to avoid GP bashing, but I'd love some clarification of my assumptions if anyone has the facts, and I wonder who'd be prepared to devote their time, holiday and travelling costs for this. And before you ask, no, I wouldn't.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1343324)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd use local marshalls wouldnt you?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1343522)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
A lot less marshals than would be there for the race, no overalls to pay for are but two reasons. Dont forget that our £5 is a small part of what is allocated for marshals if other storys are to be believed.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1343530)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
A lot less marshals than would be there for the race, no overalls to pay for are but two reasons. Dont forget that our £5 is a small part of what is allocated for marshals if other storys are to be believed.
The 'stories' of marshal fund allocation have rumbled for years and years. How come nothing has been turned to fact on this? It's one of the reasons I stopped doing the GP. Why is BMMC not attending to this as a priority?

I can get £5 from a VSCC event, where I am appreciated, and I know the club is not raking in the money. The £5 buys a nice breakfast/lunch meaning I'm happy and the club gets a marshal for the day.

For those of you doing the GP, enjoy the event! Me, I'll be elsewhere!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1343535)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest I don't think it's anything to do with the BMMC. The people you should be addressing are surely the FIA, MSA and BRDC?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1343551)   #6
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be honest I don't think it's anything to do with the BMMC. The people you should be addressing are surely the FIA, MSA and BRDC?
Isn't that what the BMMC is for - to represent us to bodies such as MSA,BRDC,FIA?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1343561)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I will forward your concerns to Chris Hobson, our Chairman.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1343636)   #8
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dead Squirrel - the VSCC now pays £6 and you will see some racing as well.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1343690)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon marshalls should be paid anyways, though realising why they arent. Certainly at the WC level, everyone working should be paid. They're professionals arent they?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1343697)   #10
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are in danger of comparing "Chalk & Cheese"
As far as Oulton Park is concerned ...marshals utilised on test days are not
volunteers. They are employed under contract and paid directly by the circuit owners and not by the organising club. It does not therefore automatically follow that
marshals would be expected to "volunteer" for F1 Test days they may be "employed".
Old 30 Jun 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1343712)   #11
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfeld
I reckon marshalls should be paid anyways, though realising why they arent. Certainly at the WC level, everyone working should be paid. They're professionals arent they?

my mummy always said if i have nothing good to say then don't say it but i was never a good child.

I find these threads so boring and quite frankly tiresome. I marshal where i want when i want, be it 2CV's at Thruxton or F1 and Silverstone, I couldn't give a rats ass if i get paid, a fiver here and there is nice for a breakfast but ultimatly i do it because i love it.
We have had the "we should be paid"..."oh no we shouldn't"..."look behind you".... so many times, payment brings professionalism therfore it brings higher costs, tax man gets involved, silly people who have no interest but do it for the money arrive and suddenly accidents happen and lives are lost (extreme case i know but thats how i see it) all for the sake of wanting a few quid to somthing we have always done for free tickets in the best seats in the house.

**steps down from box**
Old 30 Jun 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1343721)   #12
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree totally danccooke however i think the point is not whether we get anything or not for doing the GP (for instance) but the long persistent stories about how much the organisers get per marshal compared to what the organisers 'donate' to the marshals! there seems to be a big disparity and thats what annoys IMO
Old 30 Jun 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1343752)   #13
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard
i agree totally danccooke however i think the point is not whether we get anything or not for doing the GP (for instance) but the long persistent stories about how much the organisers get per marshal compared to what the organisers 'donate' to the marshals! there seems to be a big disparity and thats what annoys IMO
That's my point as well! I don't marshal to get paid. I am ANNOYED that when I see Monaco marshals suited and booted in top line kit, and also many other GP's, UK marshals get such a raw deal.

I worked NASCAR several years ago, and whilst not getting 'paid', we did get handfulls of 'Speedway dollars' (monopoly type money for refreshments in the circuit catering places) and a $150 gift certificate for the souvenir shops.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1343771)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Guys, can I nudge this thread back on track which is the cost of test days being approx half that of a race day.

Thanks,

Stephen.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1343789)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I have had a short e-mail from Chris ref the earlier comments and he is going to try and find out when he speaks to the MSA next week. At least the ball has been set in motion.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1344003)   #16
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering how much the FIA rakes out of the GPs around the world, they seem to put precious little back into it as far as us marshals are concerned. Certainly testing day marshals should be paid for at the going rate. When I did track days marshalling for a commercial operation, including the Kit car club, I got £75 cash for the day ( as an instrucot i got a lot more but that's a different matter). Race marshalling is my hobby though, but I would say we should receive a better contribution to expenses than we currently get, and I too have heard the stories about how much the MSA get per marshal, from £75 to £100 per marshall, so for us to get only £15 of it........... where does the rest go?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1344215)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Guys, can I nudge this thread back on track which is the cost of test days being approx half that of a race day.

Thanks,

Stephen.
Thanks, Steve. I am genuinely interested in these figures, for no reason other than I'm a bit sad that way!

I can't see where the original total comes from and I'm even more curious as to why testing would be half when they appear to be looking for the same level of cover. As an aside, I'm vaguely curious about what is provided for marshals in other countries. There are plenty of threads on the 'What do we want for doing this?' theme, but on this one I'm interested in what do FIA/the Teams expect for their £200k.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1344238)   #18
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appologise my comment was a little off thread, i had worked all night and should have been asleep. I am also interested in the figures too. things make much more sense when your awake
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1344247)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
No worries, dan, I may not have expained myself too well at the start anyway.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1344275)   #20
p15pathfinder
Rookie

England
p15pathfinder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where I am concerned I am not bothered about payment at an F1 event.......... I simply don't do them. The FIA stinks in my opinion and hence I will not go to a 'megabucks' F1 meeting and get treated like the lowest of the low.

It amazes me how many marshals will moan and groan about how they are treated at Silverstone and the like.......... but like silly people I bet they keep turning up! The question I have to ask is........... Why?

Show that you are not prepared to accept poor treatment...... do not volunteer. That will make the power-brokers sit up and take notice.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1344285)   #21
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much of that cost figure is insurance I wonder?
Old 1 Jul 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1344656)   #22
Marshalling Bag
Rookie

Marshalling Bag is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
How much of that cost figure is insurance I wonder?
Considering the fact that there have been a couple of marshal's killed in recent years I would anticipate that it is a fair bit.

Sad to say but it's a sign of the times
Old 1 Jul 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1344699)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by p15pathfinder
Where I am concerned I am not bothered about payment at an F1 event.......... I simply don't do them. The FIA stinks in my opinion and hence I will not go to a 'megabucks' F1 meeting and get treated like the lowest of the low.

It amazes me how many marshals will moan and groan about how they are treated at Silverstone and the like.......... but like silly people I bet they keep turning up! The question I have to ask is........... Why?

Show that you are not prepared to accept poor treatment...... do not volunteer. That will make the power-brokers sit up and take notice.
While I have some sympathy with your view (I'm not going to the GP), it is off topic, and is exactly the reason I put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I want to avoid GP bashing,
in the opening post!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1344956)   #24
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Folks,

As stated by Stephen, I have had a discussion on this with Colin Hilton, Chief Exec of the MSA.

The facts as I have been given them are as follows:-

1. The promoters of the GP are the BRDC
2. The MSA is the organisaing body - they are responsible for getting the volunteer officials etc.
3. The MSA receives NO funding for officials from the FIA
4. The promoters have to PAY the FIA in the region of £100,000 towards the costs of THEIR officials (Don't ask - I have no idea why it is so much)
5. Any deals for overalls etc for other GPs is purely down to whatever commercial arrangement the promoters can come up with.

I hope this lays to rest the rumour machine.

Have a great GP - I will be at Mallory as MSA steward for a BRSCC club race.

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 2 Jul 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1345252)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Chris, many thanks for the clarification. Enjoy Mallory