Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 8 Aug 2007, 04:09 (Ref:1983671)   #1
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull Racing to Chevy?

With Joe Gibbs Racing probably headed to Toyota next year and possibly taking the small Hall of Fame Racing team with them, there are now rumors that some of the Toyota teams now want to leave for one of the more established manufactures in NASCAR. Red Bull Racing is rumored to be leaving for Chevy for next season after just one season with Toyota.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/39267/
Old 8 Aug 2007, 08:22 (Ref:1983788)   #2
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not more chevy teams......I seriously think there needs to be something in place where teams are spread evenly over the manufacturers....Chevy's manufacturer titles are a little bit hollow considering they probably have double the amount of cars as anyone else...9 of the cars in the race to the chase are chevy's..2 Fords and 1 dodge. Bit lop sided.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1984498)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is difficult to force equal distribution without it being unfair.

Unless there was a forced annual rotation year-to-year for each team? The make-up of any given year can then be spread evenly through the field, but without being unfair in the medium term.

Last edited by Dutton; 8 Aug 2007 at 23:14.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1984540)   #4
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
Not more chevy teams......I seriously think there needs to be something in place where teams are spread evenly over the manufacturers....Chevy's manufacturer titles are a little bit hollow considering they probably have double the amount of cars as anyone else...9 of the cars in the race to the chase are chevy's..2 Fords and 1 dodge. Bit lop sided.
Up until this year Chevy has put the most money and effort into NASCAR, and they have had the best results. Most of the large teams in NASCAR race Chevy's because Chevy is probably right now the best manufacturer in NASCAR, and the smaller teams realize that they will probably have the most success if they race Chevys.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 00:19 (Ref:1984543)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think james disputes that. A bit of a truism, really.

Indeed, I think this is what he sees as the problem.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 02:36 (Ref:1984583)   #6
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
I don't think there should be a "best" manufacturer...I didn't think that was the idea of Nascar?? If it is, then why not just have the entire field drive chevy's...? Bit of parity would be nice to see.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 03:06 (Ref:1984589)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well once for once the Ford motors are on par and the Ford camp (namely Roush more than Yates) are not bad, just over shadowed by the power Hendrick's and RCR, Gibbs, wield in numbers. I feel there is parity, the teams simply aren't prepared the same...
of course dodge has a problem... if a mega squad like Penske and Ganassi can't get the cars to be sledgehammers in a checkers game what gives?
kurt busch dominated at pocono and montoya did very well at Sonoma...are they out numbered or outclassed?
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:26 (Ref:1984611)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I wouldn't call Ganassi and Penske "mega squads" in NASCAR. Presumably they have the potential, in time, given their exploits in other series, but, well, they just are not that yet in NASCAR. Some way off of it, really.

Is there any particular reason they are not running Chevies?
Old 9 Aug 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1984656)   #9
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
What about evernham? They were looking really smart a season or two ago with Kasey...what's changed?? where are they? How does a team fall so quickly like that...not to mention no other Dodge team seems to be able to consistently take it to the chevy's.

Sorry, I'm getting WAY off topic.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1984925)   #10
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I wouldn't call Ganassi and Penske "mega squads" in NASCAR. Presumably they have the potential, in time, given their exploits in other series, but, well, they just are not that yet in NASCAR. Some way off of it, really.

Is there any particular reason they are not running Chevies?
Roger Penske raced Dodges in NASCAR in the 1970s; in addition, his connections with Mercedes-owned Ilmor gave him inroads with the previous Chrysler ownership. Chip Ganassi was basically recruited by Dodge to buy a controlling share of Felix Sabates' team in 2000 and put his winning touch on their stock cars.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1985096)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Thank you, .
Old 12 Aug 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1987128)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, from my own experience.....

You can build two chevy engines for the price of one ford.
You can build two fords for the price of one hemi!

It all comes down to costs.

I was looking at a Busch spec Ford motor recently, it was up for $26000. Pretty sure it had Yates heads, and had some good power.

I bought a Ron Hutter Busch spec Chevy motor for $13000

A Chevy SB2.2 Cup spec motor recently went for $22000

These were used motors, probably too tired for use in the series now, but fine for someone who did ARCA, or some feeder series, or even a dirt series.

So it all comes down to the $$$$$
Old 13 Aug 2007, 00:32 (Ref:1987182)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Costs are one thing. How much money you get from the manufacturer is another. Corsa Motorsports (formerly Corsa Motorsports/White Lightning Racing) had a contract with Michelin tires when racing under the WL banner. Since the split with WL, they've lost their tire contract and are currently inactive (presumably) until they get a tire supplier. Theoretically, for a fully privateer man like yourself racing59, those costs mean something. For a team running in Cup, where the manufacturers are going to slip you sponsorship it isn't a matter of cost per se, more likely how much cost will be covered by GM, Ford, Toyota, or Chrysler.

Chris
Old 13 Aug 2007, 00:47 (Ref:1987189)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anybody have any estimates on what, Robby Gordon for example, has to shell out for parts versus say a Gibbs, Yates of Hendrick team? I'm guessing quite a bit, esp since I think he buys engines from Yates so probably needs more sponsor dollars from lesser sponsors to make each venue with the fresh parts like the big teams.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2003697)   #15
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
From Jayski
Quote:
Red Bull staying with Toyota: Elton Sawyer, Team Red Bull’s competition director, responded to questions about a possible switch from Toyotas to Chevrolets next season by saying his operation “is very content with our current manufacture. We have no plans to make any changes. It’s been a good partnership.''
So now maybe they feel that with Gibbs switching to Toyota they can have a much better season next year.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2006653)   #16
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their cars have been good when they've made the races.... just a matter of a little thing called qualifying.