Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Aug 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2517830)   #1
NewbieMarshal
Rookie

NewbieMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie hoping for some advice.

Hello everyone . Just wanted to say hello and see if I could get a little bit of advice!

I've always been deeply passionate about motorsport and have always thought about how I could possibly be involved in some way.

Anyhoo, upon further reading I've discovered that those orange clad types who jump over the barriers to sweep bit of bodywork off the track/attend to a driver/put out a fire are not just super human heros but are, in fact, Marshalls!

With that in mind I decided to look into it and find out how one might become a Marshal. So I've done a little bit of research as you do and I've come up with the following.

Register with the MSA as a Marshal.
Purchase the following.
AWS GPX Overalls £49.
Value Warm Hi Viz Jacket £12.94
Birkdale Overtrouser £16.39
Marshal Cap (To keep the sun/rain off of my balding head) £5.
Sturdy hiking boots.
Ear plugs

Join BMMC

Go to events!

And so far as I can guestimate, that's about it. Aside from you know, the general continued learning and actual job of being a marshal.

One thing I was worried about was going on my own, will I be laughed at? I generally can't imagine being able to explain the idea of getting up at 4:30 am on a sunday to go and stand in the rain all day, let alone getting them to come with me.

Anyhoo, thanks very much if you got this far .

Regards

Ash
Old 8 Aug 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2517844)   #2
The Hat
Rookie

England
Canterbury
The Hat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ash,
Great to see another enthusiastic volunteer.
First some advice, don't go spending a lot of money before you have tried a taster day or 2. There is always gear that you can borrow for the day, & who knows, you may have more sense than to enjoy standing out in the cold/wet/baking sun!!!!!!!
One thing I can garantee though, no-one will laugh at you, every single one of us had a first day once.
I don't know what your local circuit is, but I've had a warm welcome where ever I have marshalled although my regular circuit is Brands.

Go on, get in touch with the BMMC & give it a try.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2517846)   #3
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did the BMMC taster day at Donington last weekend, and I feel confident in saying you'll enjoy it. I didn't bother registering with the MSA before the day, but did make sure I had some good waterproofs (which came in very useful). The thing I found was that everyone else there was extremely friendly. I felt very welcome, even though I too had gone alone. The "being alone" thing lasted about 20 seconds and then I felt part of a family.

Anyway, get in touch with the BMMC, see when the next taster day is and get yourself signed up. The guys there will let you know what you'll need for the day, and will look after you very well.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2517877)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome Ash, what circuit/s would you be looking at?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2517893)   #5
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ash, i was in your position only eight weeks ago and can say it was the best thing i have ever done. Its great to spend the weekend with a load of passionate motorsport fans, and the buzz when you go trackside is better than sex. Although i could be doing it wrong. Anyway firstly dont go spending loads on clothing and stuff until your sure its for you although it is nice to blend in with the others. Decide where you fancy doing events or which type of racing you want to follow. I do mainly silverstone and the admin there is spot on and i think your treated really well . You seem to know who to contact and costs for equiptment , (use Ebay, its much cheaper) A taster day is a good start with a tour of the curcuit and some time on post ,and then your a free man to start your career as an umpa lumpa. Enjoy yourself and be safe. Your weekends will never be the same.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2518039)   #6
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Matt_Ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULSERACING View Post
and the buzz when you go trackside is better than sex. Although i could be doing it wrong.
What when Marshaling or in the bedroom?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2518063)   #7
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULSERACING View Post
... and the buzz when you go trackside is better than sex.
What? Even better than chocolate???

But don't care.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2518102)   #8
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMarshal View Post
One thing I was worried about was going on my own, will I be laughed at?
Hi Ash and welcome to the gang.

The answer is......probably....only kidding, it was just me

Seriously though, I didn't know anyone involved in Marshaling or anywhere near a circuit, so I can relate to how you feel.
The real answer is, you will find more help and advice than you'll ever feel you'll need.
Turn up, say hello to people, let them know that you are new and perhaps don't know where you are going or are meant to be and you will be well away.
Before you know it, you will have the longest grass on the estate. (I must stay at home long enough to cut it )

Enjoy yourself and remember, the only daft question is the one you don't ask.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2518150)   #9
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it helps I started on my own, asked lots of daft questions, made many friends, climed the ladder from trainee (novice in my day) to chief marshal, before retiring.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2518267)   #10
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Register with the MSA as a Marshal.
Purchase the following.
AWS GPX Overalls £49.
Value Warm Hi Viz Jacket £12.94
Birkdale Overtrouser £16.39
Marshal Cap (To keep the sun/rain off of my balding head) £5.
Sturdy hiking boots.
Ear plugs

Join BMMC

Go to events!

One thing I was worried about was going on my own, will I be laughed at? I generally can't imagine being able to explain the idea of getting up at 4:30 am on a sunday to go and stand in the rain all day, let alone getting them to come with me.
Ash,

Welcome to the world of orange. I can only reitterate the comments on here don't buy anything until you have had a taster day to see if you like it.

If you do by joining the BMMC there are discounts on Overalls, waterproofs and boots, the £17 yearly fee is certaining worth it as you get more back for the overalls alone.

I started marshalling with a friend, but since we rarely attend on the same days now. You will be buddied up with someone else and aslong as your not a shy retiring person in the corner you'll be alone for a short time.

Just make sure you have some waterproofs and non-flammable clothing (nylons etc) and don't clash with the flags on your taster day (avoid red, yellow).

Good Luck and enjoy.

Which circuit would you be at?

Dave
Old 9 Aug 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2518346)   #11
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better than chocolate but not stella , and ive read the book again and ill give sex another try. although the girlfriend always has a smile on her face. Probably cos im always at silverstone.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2518535)   #12
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi Ash
i'm a newbie too. done walkabout day and two days on post at oulton pk.
never been laught at, unless you count the time i went arse over tit trying to get to the loo at shell, between races LOL but even i laught at that

the guys on post help and answer any question and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.
so don't worry about things like that, the only thing to worry about is the car coming at you at 120mph and not taking the bend !!!! LOL
gets the heart rate up and fun to clean up the mess, especialy when the driver is ok and can laugh with you about it
Old 10 Aug 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2518614)   #13
BrendanM
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester
BrendanM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

as the others have said try a day or two or 3 before spending cash, though wearing boots and bringing you waterproofs / lunch / flask etc would be a good idea.

Then if you like the sun stroke from summer events you can try hypothermia and trench foot from winter series

There are no stupid questions (only dumb answers), none of us have seen it all. Try some different circuits and clubs to find out what you like - some of the best motorsport you can see may be with the likes of AMOC, 750MC etc(IMHO).

Enjoy & welcome

Brendan (last seen eating a Mallory breakfast)
Old 10 Aug 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2519080)   #14
NewbieMarshal
Rookie

Thank you for all the advice, it is hugely appreciated! I will skip the overalls for now then and just get the waterproofs. They're not that expensive and I'd have to buy waterproofs anyway! At least this way I'll look orange .

I need some decent new boots too so that's on the list and I'll just wear heavy cotton cargo trousers/jumper under the water proofs.

I've an orange Hi Viz vest I could wear too if it was too hot for a jacket (hahahaha, yeah right!).

Excellent! Hopefully I'll meet some of you soon
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2519087)   #15
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will you be playing out??

You may be able to put some faces to the tenths logons then.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2519150)   #16
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of tips regarding clothing-make sure you don't wear a colour that clashes with flags (red, green or yellow specifically) and make sure your arms are covered up. Apart from that, enjoy your taster day and be prepared to lose most of your weekends to marshalling!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2520132)   #17
NewbieMarshal
Rookie

Well, Three Sisters is my closest track, but it's not exactly amazing!

Oulton is close also, so it will probably be Oulton Park .

I will be wearing my orange hi viz overalls .

Thanks!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2520139)   #18
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my first day at the start of May and have done a fair few since.

As others have said, you should find a welcoming bunch only too happy to include you and pass on their experience - I certainly have.

I'd add two things to take. A reasonable pair of gloves (I use gardening ones) - two if it's going to be very wet. Plenty of fluids - both cold and hot to cope with different weather.

Welcome to the collective madness!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2520169)   #19
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi Ash - I look after newbies in the North West and next taster day (with spaces!) is 26 September. Sign up on the website and it will filter to me

Nadine Lewis
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2520181)   #20
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Some tips...

Your boots should have steel toecaps.
Always have a couple of black plastic binliners handy.
For your first half dozen meetings, you have only one aim. Learn the environment and where the dangers are, and how to keep your self safe from them.
Try every dicipline and type of motorsport at least once.
Newbies have a massively important place in marshalling, they question why we do things and stop complacency creeping in. If you have a question, keep asking it until you get a good enough answer.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2520186)   #21
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And you've come to the right place Newbie, a nicer more helpful bunch of people you'll never meet, here or anywhere else I'm sure, are in these marshal forums on tenths. Now as long as it doesn't go to their heads, we're good.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2520428)   #22
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I'd add two things to take. A reasonable pair of gloves (I use gardening ones) - two if it's going to be very wet. Plenty of fluids - both cold and hot to cope with different weather.

Welcome to the collective madness!

gardening gloves arent tough enough IMO, you want welders gauntlets or good riggers at the least

welcome to the madhouse
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2522788)   #23
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there Ash

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marshling another thing that you will need is sunscreen and plenty of liquid. Also food, and lollies to get you though the day...
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2522998)   #24
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n View Post
Hi there Ash

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marshling another thing that you will need is sunscreen and plenty of liquid. Also food, and lollies to get you though the day...
AND DON'T BRING ANYTHING PIGLET WITH YOU!!!!
been told a few times now it's bad luck

was you at Oulton last saturday?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2523048)   #25
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks!
I take it you live in Wigan then?

I also live 2 mins from 3 sister and am a regular at Oulton and Anglesey, so if you need a lift or want to tag along for your first day with me and some of the other regulars then PM me and we will arrange something.

Regards
Allan (Fazza)

Last edited by fazza; 17 Aug 2009 at 14:47. Reason: spelling mistakes Doh!