Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Dec 2002, 02:16 (Ref:459317)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giorgio Pantano in cart

In Autosport today, it has confirmed Italian Giorgio Pantano will race for the new BC motorsport team sponsored by Sunoco. He has signed a new two year deal and will drive a lola ford purchased from team rahal

It has also been confirmed that Mo Nunn will not be fielding a car in cart in 2003

Adrian Fernandez will field just a single car team as well
Old 29 Dec 2002, 02:57 (Ref:459326)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news and bad news. I was really hoping Nunn would be around for 2003. Does anyone know anything about Pantano or BC motorsports? Nice to see a good sponsor like Sunoco. That's what CART needs to see more of.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 03:32 (Ref:459332)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see anything on the Autosport website, are you sure this isn't just speculation?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 Dec 2002, 03:52 (Ref:459339)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's good to see Sunoco returning to the fold.

It p*sses me off that one of the few American-owned oil companies is sponsoring an Italian!

Nothing against Italians, but why Sunoco???
Old 29 Dec 2002, 04:47 (Ref:459362)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, don't speak too soon. I admit, I'm not the biggest F3000 follower, but from everything I've heard and seen this boy has talent. His record in F3000 is on par with Ryan Hunter-Reay's record in Atlantic. As big of fan as I am of Atlantic, F3000 cars are much closer to champcars than Atlantics are.

Given good equipment, this guy could definately be rookie of the year.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Dec 2002, 05:10 (Ref:459367)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Besides, can you honestly call it a racing series without an Italian driver?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Dec 2002, 05:14 (Ref:459368)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3000 > Atlantic

And in F3000 every car is the same, in Atlantics RHR had a definate car advantage over a lot of guys.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 06:10 (Ref:459372)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully this rumour is true and we have another car confirmed for next year.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 08:03 (Ref:459389)   #9
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Pantano if this is true. He did a good job in F3000 this year and is pretty much ready for the next level if you ask me.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 08:03 (Ref:459390)   #10
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano is a good driver. However, it's sad that Diaz won't find his way thru to CWS
Old 29 Dec 2002, 11:09 (Ref:459423)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano is a good talent, definantly. He has been quick in F3000 over the years.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:13 (Ref:459456)   #12
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
[B Does anyone know anything about Pantano [/B]

in 1999 he won the karting world championship and came to german f3 in 2000, he won the championship in his first attempt beating tomzcyk (who is now in dtm) by far
last two years he was in f3000
he already had f1 tests with benetton and this year with williams bmw
Old 29 Dec 2002, 13:27 (Ref:459510)   #13
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a fan of Pantano, but he is talented.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:02 (Ref:459526)   #14
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeap this is 100% true. It is autosport magazine which has been published a couple of days early due to new years day.

It also says pantano will have his first test at sebring next week in the lola
Old 29 Dec 2002, 16:07 (Ref:459564)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I think he could be a real asset to the series!

I'm just bitter and jealous... He gets the Sunoco sponsorship that some kid short-tracking in Milwaukee _really_ deserves.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 16:34 (Ref:459580)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'd be surprised if it's only Sunoco behind it all. Likely Patano is bringing some sponsorship too.

Whatever the case, I look forward to the official announcement, and I look forward to seeing Pantano around the Cart paddock!
Old 29 Dec 2002, 16:37 (Ref:459583)   #17
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errm, what Autosport magazine that was published earlier?

It says next one is to come on Thursday January 2.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:40 (Ref:459632)   #18
unofficialf3000
Racer

unofficialf3000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for CART if its true. Pantano is a genuine talent - he came close to winning the F3000 championship this year (his second) with 3 wins, and doing so took the Coloni team to heights they have never been before (traditionally having been backmarkers), although team-mate Toccacelo's form showed that the team itself had stepped up a gear. He was very impressive in German F3 and it's a surprise that he hasn't been given an F1 contract (after testing for Benetton and, this winter, Williams). CART needs guys with proven European records to ensure credibility in this new era.

Sad news about Mo Nunn and Fernandez though.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:53 (Ref:459638)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
"BC Motorsport" is a new team? Any idea of who is spearheading this effort?

Good to see an oil company on board. I was upset when Sunoco didn't step up their sponsorship of Sigma last year, but this new announcement will help to ease any hard feelings.

Terrible news, however, concerning Nunn and Fernandez.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:17 (Ref:459644)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
CrashNet has answered my question, although I have no idea who he is. The team belongs to Dana Brewer. They are speculating that Forsythe may be involved in some way.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:34 (Ref:459652)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they've bought the car from Team Rahal, does that mean only one car from Bobby? Six monthds ago, he was totally loyal to CART, now he too is splitting his efforts.

And I'd agree with Lee, and disagree partly with Unofficial, in that Americans with proven records would be a much better addition to CART than Europeans and South Americans, especially those with budgets bigger than talent. Pantano certainly doesn't fit that description though, he's showed real potential in F3000 and will certainly view this as a chance to move towards F1.

There's a point. Most of the guys getting CART drives now are looking to F1 in the long-term, or only went to CART because they can't get that. If these guys want to mvoe up, who would replace them?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 19:53 (Ref:459678)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

That's what I'm thinking... CART needs some new lifers who'll stick with the series, and keep fighting for the championship for the next decade. Otherwise CART does risk becoming relegated to being a competitor to F3000 and the Telefonica-Nissan series. I wouldn't mind this so much if F1 wasn't in horrible decline, but it is, and CART's a far better product.

The finances at team Rahal must be rather shaky since Shell pulled their sponsorship. First Bobby pulls his ALMS plans, then he puts Brack and half his operation in the IRL, leaving his CART operation built around a pay driver in the form of Michel Jourdain.

Hmm, if Forsythe's involved, could this be the satellite team we've been hearing about, which Yoong will also be involved in?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Dec 2002 at 19:59.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:09 (Ref:459685)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
But I was expecting any reappearance of Forsythe Championship to campaign Reynards. Seems Pantano will be in a Lola...
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:32 (Ref:459710)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Players will be running lola's this year. I believe Paul Tracy had some say in that decision. I think any team with any sort of good financial backing would be wise to run Lolas.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:35 (Ref:459713)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I didn't mean Players/Forsythe, I meant the satellite Forsythe Championship. Gerald's got several Reynards still kicking around the shop, afterall.