Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1004183)   #1
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just an idea

While watching the Canadian GP I had an idea about saving (some) costs while improving safety, in the pitlane anyway. The idea? Simply that each team is only issued with 15 paddock passes for each GP. With two drivers, 1 technical director, 1 team principal and 1 pr/media person this allows a team just 10 mechanics.

With only 10 mechanics you wouldn't get the forest of people around a car at pitstops (less people to be run over) and it would restrict the changes that could be made to a car as there wouldn't be the people to make the changes. The teams would save money as there would be a lot less people to transport/accomodate/feed.

What do you think?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1004194)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not sure 10 would even cover the PR people each team has to be honest, let alone Flavio's hair stylest crew.

I do like the idea of limiting the number of people working on the car, however it is amazing watching so many people work so well together for those 6-8 seconds. Unbelievable!

Your biggest problem here is that would increase the pit stop time, therefor reducing the number of pit stops, and Max and Bernie seem pretty keen on them (personally I would ban them completely).
Old 15 Jun 2004, 01:25 (Ref:1004214)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Wrex. I personally do not see the point of having 20 people dashing around the car...it's quite pointless (besides speeding up the pit process), and it's quite dangerous as an accident could easily put many people at risk.

I don't really want a complete ban on pitstops, but i think with lesser people, resulting in longer pitstops, it would go about to discourage pitstops...

Maybe a mechanic per wheel, 2 jackmen, a "supervising" lollipop man/cum coordinator, 1 fuel man, 1/or 2 general mechanic in case of accident repairs..10 people would do enough.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 02:15 (Ref:1004223)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
10? Give em 1 then - that will keep them busy
Old 15 Jun 2004, 02:44 (Ref:1004233)   #5
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
10? Give em 1 then - that will keep them busy
Wouldn't matter Ferrari would still complete the stop in 9.5 secs.

Simply ban refueling and limit the number of tyres on race day.2 sets,the tyres they quailified on and another set for use on race day.One man per wheel 2 jackmen and the controler.Thats 7.If they get a puncture tough.8 tyres for race day.

The Grumpy1
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1004329)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bah, just make the driver refill all by himself, then check his tyre pressure, oil, clean windshield etc like every real man
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1004345)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
then queue up and pay.....

Last edited by Super Tourer; 15 Jun 2004 at 07:53.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1004380)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that, as Wrexie pointed out, that current pitting is an important element of spectacle, with all those crews moving like grasshoppers round the car.
If they limitate numbers of PR personnel, no problem to me, of course, but mechanics must be kept like they are right now.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1004382)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm...then they might as well all have to drive into a petrol station sited beside the start/finish? Service would be provided by the friendly pump attendent randomly picked from petrol stations around the world..
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1004395)   #10
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no . not random . i'll have to do the selection myself

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1004427)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The PR and marketing people are a part of bringing in sponsorship to the team - and their prescence is a net gain financially.

If you want to put a limit on how many people can be involved in a pitstop, then fine, but limiting paddock passes is not the way to do that.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1004432)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
If Ferrari have to wait in a queue as long as I do at Shell this championship could be on again
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1004496)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a better idea
Just ban max and bernie from every race for evermore.Better still just ban them
f1 fixed overnight
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1004530)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it hadn't been for Bernie we wouldn't be seeing live coverage of every Grand Prix.

Have a look at what things were like before he arrived on the scene.

Max and Bernie have done more good for F1 than bad.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1004555)   #15
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Bah, just make the driver refill all by himself, then check his tyre pressure, oil, clean windshield etc like every real man
I actually saw that in an ALMS (i think series) one of the prototypes ran out of gas...he was leading by quite a bit....got out of the car while his team was bringing a can of gas....filled it up got back in hit the pits for tires and a load of fuel and beat #2 out. Pretty spectacular
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1004576)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 stuporcars, IRL and CART all limit the numbers of crew that can work on a car during a pitstop, and it does not seem to make tham that much slower.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1004681)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the mo, the one who makes laugh is the Williams front jacker.

He sweats and farts as he wheels in this huge sort of chrome coffee table / tea trolley with handle (like you see in old folks homes) - then stands back with a cool swagger and presses the button to lift the car - with his little finger crooked like he is drinking tea from a china cup.

I'd love to press that button.

How about making them jack the cars up on a soft shale surface with a 30 degree tilt - that's what always seems to happen to me when I need to change a wheel.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 15 Jun 2004 at 12:51.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1005039)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i always wondered about that guy . why did they need that tool . when everybody else does the same job without it ...

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Jun 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1005135)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all to do with the shape of their front end I guess - or else its just for show - 'ours has a button - yours doesn't' kinda thing
Old 15 Jun 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1005136)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes - I think they do it just because they can.