Old 13 Jun 2004, 03:46 (Ref:1002282)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Frank Assessing Villeneuve

Its not rumour.

Frank Williams admits that he is considering offering Jacques Villeneuve a drive in 2005 and may give him a mid-season test.

He said: "First Jacques must be tested and evaluated. If we proceed it would be in August or at the start of September."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3801103.stm

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 13 Jun 2004 at 03:47.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 03:48 (Ref:1002283)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"If" we proceed?

*Yawn*.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 05:40 (Ref:1002322)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously frank has others further up the list he wants to try for first.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1002356)   #4
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Jacques! We need you.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1002357)   #5
marvander
Rookie

marvander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems a little more solid than the previous 'sources' etc...but still several drivers in contention. I'd actually love to see JV back, but I am getting tired of all the hype.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1002359)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"IF" they proceed.... IF IF IF

as RWC said i expect there will be a few drivers ahead of JV on the list...
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1002380)   #7
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Yup. Sam Michael, the new boss in tech departmens, admit that his compatriot, Mark Webber, is the front-runner to replace Montoya.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3802267.stm

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 13 Jun 2004 at 08:27.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1002382)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam is just confirming what everyone has known for ages. I'll be surprised if Mark is NOT in a Williams next year.

As for the constant JV rumours, nothing appears guaranteed.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1002386)   #9
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Agree. Nothing is guaranteed until the contracts is signing.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1002396)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great news.... abou time Mark got a good seat!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1002400)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark has a good seat, its just fitted to the wrong car
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1002408)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
First Jacques must be tested and evaluated. If we proceed it would be in August or at the start of September.
Certainly a step forward from the quote-free speculation we've had so far. This tells us that Jacques is definitely in Frank's considerations, although it doesn't tell us how far down 'the list' he might be.

One thing it gives us for certain - if a test goes ahead it won't be for another two or three months. So we can put all the "Villeneuve is coming back" threads on hold until then! Can't we?
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1002410)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another Villeneuve thread? Dear god!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1002565)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who says you have to read and post in these threads if you hate it that much?

Quit whining.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1002590)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who's whining!

It was quite clearly a quip, not a dig.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1002658)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Go Jacques! We need you. "

um not really, this year has been a great ferrari smash, and i don't need villenueve for that, oh and BAR is getting consistent podiums and both drivers (sans blow up) challenge. F1 is as exciting today as ever (behind schumacher's red car anyway.) I don't miss him, i almst forgot the WDC was even at BAR after the 3rd dull year from them, oh JV just go help develop the new prototypes and be an endurance champion to rival history, you have wins and a WDC just walk to another race, isn't he humiliated enough.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:22 (Ref:1003060)   #17
marvander
Rookie

Alot of complaining about JV threads here. It seems to me that if people want to talk about that, its only because it reflects feelings in the F1 fan base. JV did great things in his racing career and was very exciting and quick in his first 2-3 years in F1. BAR years...forget it! But he obviously inspired the fans somewhere along the line and I guess thats why there's so much 'chatter' about his return here and elsewhere.

Whether you like him or not - and I agree with some that he is a bit of a spoiled brat type and possibly even washed out - the story is here to stay I think.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1003065)   #18
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the amount JV is asking (numbers up around what Ralf demanded rumor only)I can't see it happening as well as getting his mitts on Webber.He was also seen talking to the Toyota people on Saturday.

The Grumpy1
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:35 (Ref:1003068)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well wait just a minute!! What are Williams testing JV for??? No one has really specified! Might be for driving, might be an intelligence test, or a blood test or any number of tests.

I still haven't figured out why F1 "needs" JV as they seemingly have been doing quite nicely without him this year, and one can argue that BAR was doing without him prior to that (sorry couldn't help myself!).

I mean, look at the grid: you have Trulli walking about with his hair in some sort of modified "Pippi Longstocking" sort of deal, Schumi Lite wandering about with the latest revision of the Cora Schumacher Schumi Lite model (the latest "enhancements" being way more interesting than anything Trulli is up to with his coiffure), JPM stalking around just being JPM - you get the picture!

JV was a terrific driver in his day and unfortunately, that day has passed. I am just enjoying watching JB and TS get everything they can out of the current BAR instead of sitting around and being sullen.

And welcome to the Forum marvander!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 14 Jun 2004 at 02:36.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:47 (Ref:1003076)   #20
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John what you said but the fact he was seen talking to Toyota means nothing either.They may have been after info on the wheather.He is a Canadian isn't he.
Anyway its time for the next generation.

The Grumpy1
Old 14 Jun 2004, 03:10 (Ref:1003087)   #21
marvander
Rookie

Its not that F1 'needs' JV, I don't really go for that hype either, but I don't think that you could say that F1 would lose anything by him being there either. From what I've seen of the season its been pretty boring stuff so far. Case in point: Canada. Was there even one pass in the whole race? Sure there's the spectacle of F1, the allure of the engines roaring, the coveted top prize of auto racing etc. etc. But once the lights go out and they actually get down to racing I sure think F1 could use a bit of spark.

Thats just IMO.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 03:30 (Ref:1003093)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Then what F1 needs is for McLaren to focus on building a car that compete instead of a Taj Mahal with garage doors.

Maybe Sir Frank needs to have someone focus on improving the car instead of commenting on the possibility of JV testing.

The state of F1 has far less to do with the current drivers than it does the failure of the other teams to rise to the challenge Ferrari has set down. To my surprise the only team that actually seems to get this is BAR. They are not always in the hunt, but at least they are giving Button and Taku cars that are improving demonstrably.

Until everyone gets down to the business of racing instead of building fancy "technology centers" or hauling trees to every race with them then we are going to continue to have one team dominate.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 04:01 (Ref:1003100)   #23
marvander
Rookie

Sure, I agree, but once (if?) all the other teams get their acts together, why not at least entertain the idea of a former driver who by all accounts is very motivated and has a score to settle. Presumably F1 could benefit.

Anyway, you're right that one driver won't change a thing.

Cheers
Old 14 Jun 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1003233)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by marvander
Canada. Was there even one pass in the whole race?
Yes.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1003330)   #25
RapidTron
Rookie

RapidTron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if jpm couldnt even attempt a pass on tgf, i doubt a less talent like jv would have been anywhere close.