Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1003520)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canadian GP - Massa Shunt

Have read conflicting reports as to whether one of his tires went into the stands. Anyone have info? Hope no one was hurt.

Ted
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1003525)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looked like all the wheels were still tethered to the car.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1003531)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't see anything like that, could it be possible ?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1003532)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One came off...but i don't think it went into the stands.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1003534)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think one of the rears had come off (I'm fairly sure there was a shot of the marshals loading a stray wheel onto a truck at the end of the race. I haven't heard anything about debris going into the crowd though (hope not).
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1003543)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a wheel come off (LR, I believe), but I don't think it made it into the stands.

The Saubers have had a lot of problems the past two weeks, with the high speed failures at Monza and now this suspension failure in Canada. I think Massa's incident in Monza was a tyre, but Fisi's was halfshaft / suspension, I wonder if that was the same thing that just happened to Massa...
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1003595)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly was a big smash, but nothing went into the stands.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1003598)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So where did the story that a wheel did go into the stands come from?

Very irresponsible if it was a professional news organisation which made that claim.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1003602)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems as though irresponsability is the case of this news organisation.

It was the left rear wheel, i saw a very quick glimpse of a car with smoking tyres on the high shot of the hairpin, so i think he slid sideways into the barrier, knocking off his rear left.
From the front on shot, you could see that wheel running alongside Massa as he went head on....and boy did he ever, that was a big one.
The wheel was at the height of the cameraman, around the same height as the car. I spose it could have hit the tyre barrier, and bounced up and over the fencing.....but i think that is unlikely - and as people have said, they saw the marshals rolling away a wheel.

Something else would have been said about a tyre going into the stands - not by just one media firm - someone got it wrong.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1003644)   #10
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
So where did the story that a wheel did go into the stands come from?

Very irresponsible if it was a professional news organisation which made that claim.
It wasn't a news story but eye witness accounts by spectators at the hairpin ...

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4742
http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=70198

Ted
Old 14 Jun 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1003647)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well, whoever posted those "eye-witness" accounts is exaggerating or lying.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1003695)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'd agree. One of the "witnesses" says that two tires went into a packed grandstand, yet there was no medical help. Sounds like a load of rubbish.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1003950)   #13
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
Just found this at F1-Live ...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

[14/06/04 - 15:25]
Massa's Sauber front wheel into the crowd !
A moment that wasn't recorded by television...
by Hugo GIGUERE
CAPSIS International

Felipe Massa escaped with no injury after crashing his Sauber a few laps before the end of the Canadian Grand Prix yesterday.

However, the Brazilian wasn't the only "lucky" person to avoid serious injury in this accident .

While the end of the crash was recorded on television, showing the Sauber hitting the tyre wall head on - almost at full speed - the car initially brushed against the left side protection wall of the track, sending off a cloud of dust and debris.

Upon impact, the left front wheel - including the tyre, hub and brake assembly and pieces of the control arm - flew straight up into the air with amazing force, high enough to clear over the protection fence in front of grandstand 15, which is located in front of the hairpin.

For a moment it appeared that the wheel was heading straight into the crowd but it first landed on the ground in front of the grandstand... but its "flight" wasn't over yet. This huge chunk of debris touched the ground and then bounced back in the first rows of the grandstand, the spectators frantically moving away to avoid being hit by the object.

Witnesses report that the wheel made contact with at least one person but no one was seriously injured.

The sharp pieces of broken carbon fiber and the heavy mass of the wheel flying in the air straight into the crowd was a scary sight. Fortunately, the very dangerous high speed of the debris was slowed down dramatically before it reached the crowd. Motorsport will always be dangerous... and not only for the drivers.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1003956)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

F1 live appear to be referencing the same "eye witnesses".

I'm not convinced.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1003970)   #15
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there.

My seat was on the entrance to turn 10, at the point where they turn in.

Massa was against the outside barriers going past me. So against the barrier that I couldn't see the car, just the pieces of it flying up into the air in front of me.

He went straight into the tires at the end of the gravel.
The left rear (I believe) came off, traveling forward at probably 90mph, hit something that sent it nearly straight up and it went over the retaining fence (with some suspension parts still attached) and landed almost perfectly in the stairway between seating in grandstand 15. It bounced once, and while it almost certainly had to hit someone, it did so with so little force that nobody was injured. It only bounce a couple of feet into the air before it came to rest there.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1003973)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Okay, so the safety features did their job. Good news.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1003996)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from the ITV footage it looked as though he went head on into the barriers with the left rear wheel flailing about on its tethers. Suspension failure most likely.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1004118)   #18
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
graves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Okay, so the safety features did their job. Good news.
Excuse me? The safety features did their job? What would have happened if it hadn't hit the stairway first, but someones head instead?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:18 (Ref:1004286)   #19
twig
Veteran

Sarcasm graves.
Well, that was a surprise, especially when we hear the same story from a fellow ten-tenther.

I think ill go and have a look at the footage again.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1004444)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by graves
Excuse me? The safety features did their job? What would have happened if it hadn't hit the stairway first, but someones head instead?

The eyewitness on here says the fencing took so much speed out of it, it was going very slowly and wouldn't have been a problem.

In any case, it says on the ticket "Motor-racing is dangerous".

This sort of thing is thankfully very rare.

Sure, see if any lessons can be learned, but there's no need for mass hysteria.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:51 (Ref:1004482)   #21
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this maybe very random within this thread and i don't wish to make light of serious incidents like this- very glad to hear no one was hurt! but did anyone bag the tyre afterwards??? would they be allowed to take it home?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1004531)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

We saw the marshals on TV putting the tyre and wheel away with the car - it'll be returned to the team.

You can't go stealing parts - even if they do end up off the track.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1004538)   #23
twig
Veteran

But then again, what are they going to do with them.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1004540)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

The team can look at the parts to help work out what went wrong.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1004546)   #25
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least it's good that no-one was injured.