Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Nov 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2591593)   #1
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Timmyevo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Master cylinder sizing

next season, i'll be running a pedal bias box in my evo6 race car.

how do i go about getting the correct size brake master cylinders for front/rear. and also for clutch and hydro handbrake?

cheers. tim.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2591614)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
typically cars use 0.6 for clutch and the same or maybe 0.7 for the front and 0.75 for the rear, dunno about handbrake but i'd guess 0.6, although if its a race your do you really need a handbrake?

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2591846)   #3
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are two ways:

a) you copy the master cylinder size of a similar car, with similar weight, center of gravity height, tire size, brake disc and caliper piston sizes...

or

b) You calculate it. For this you´ll have to guess the wheel torque needed, having Long G as an input is a good start.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2591862)   #4
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
There are two ways:

a) you copy the master cylinder size of a similar car, with similar weight, center of gravity height, tire size, brake disc and caliper piston sizes...

or

b) You calculate it. For this you´ll have to guess the wheel torque needed, having Long G as an input is a good start.
seeing as master cylinders for bias pedal boxes normally only come in 3 sizes thats rather complicating things!

small for the front big for the rear is usual rule of thumb and works irrespective of vehicle weight,

it has to be noted a you might still require an adjuatable portioning valve to reduce fluid to the rears

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 1 Dec 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2592240)   #5
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Quote:
seeing as master cylinders for bias pedal boxes normally only come in 3 sizes thats rather complicating things!

small for the front big for the rear is usual rule of thumb and works irrespective of vehicle weight,

it has to be noted a you might still require an adjuatable portioning valve to reduce fluid to the rears
You can install any cylinder you want to. Tilton for example has from 5/8" to 1" 5 more sizes in between, that would be 7 different sizes.

The pedal box is sold separated from the cylinders.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2592257)   #6
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyevo6 View Post
next season, i'll be running a pedal bias box in my evo6 race car.

how do i go about getting the correct size brake master cylinders for front/rear. and also for clutch and hydro handbrake?

cheers. tim.
Do you know your caliper piston sizes, front and rear, and pad areas, again front and rear?

Armed with that information - and the brake pedal ratio - a more informed 'guess' could be made.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2592992)   #7
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Do you know your caliper piston sizes, front and rear, and pad areas, again front and rear?

Armed with that information - and the brake pedal ratio - a more informed 'guess' could be made.

i shall find this out!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2593006)   #8
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calculation:
Ideal ratio of Caliper to M/cylinder is 23:1
For example, caliper pistons are 60mm wide.

Piston area= (60/2)^2 x Pi

Four calipers, so total area= (60/2)^2 x Pi x 4 (NOT 8!)

So area of M/Cyl should be; Diameter = (sqrt(Area/Pi)) x 2

So whole expression is (sqrt(((60/2)^2 x Pi x 4)/23/Pi)) x 2

put that into Google and you get: 25mm!

Or, one inch.

Simples!

John

John
Old 2 Dec 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2593043)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
John wrote- Simple Calculation:

John
I put that into Google and ended up with this result.
These calculations don't take into account things like pedal ratio, the feel you want or whether the car is running a servo etc. I'd go with Graham's answer in post two and I bet he's closer to reality than you John.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2593044)   #10
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Calculation:
Ideal ratio of Caliper to M/cylinder is 23:1
For example, caliper pistons are 60mm wide.

Piston area= (60/2)^2 x Pi

Four calipers, so total area= (60/2)^2 x Pi x 4 (NOT 8!)

So area of M/Cyl should be; Diameter = (sqrt(Area/Pi)) x 2

So whole expression is (sqrt(((60/2)^2 x Pi x 4)/23/Pi)) x 2

put that into Google and you get: 25mm!

Or, one inch.

Simples!

John

John
Nice solution, John - but 1) where does this 'magic' ratio come from and 2) how does it take into account the brake pedal ratio?

I'm not saying that the 23:1 ratio is wrong, btw....
Old 2 Dec 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2593065)   #11
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try Googling for "Master cylinder 23:1" - 6318 hits, plus two for this one. The ratio seems to be best known in the biking world, where the 'pedal' or hand lever ratio is closer to one.

It's not THE ratio, it's a ratio, and the pedal ratio is a seperate issue that needs to be integrated. Pedal ratio influences cylinder/caliper area ratio and vice versa - they are in effect two levers working in series.
And Graham's talking bias boxes - which was the original Q.
But you gotta start somewhere.

John
Old 2 Dec 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2593076)   #12
Timmyevo6
Rookie

the pedal box i'm using has a 5.1 ratio.

my front calipers are ap 6 pots, rear calipers are OEM bremo 2 pots. not certain of piston size etc.

no servo unit. not going to bother with hand brake. i've lots of help in the pits, someone can put their toe under the tyre!

i want good brakes, driven a car with no servo before and i understand you need to STAND on the brakes to get them working well.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2593081)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

[QUOTE=Timmyevo6;2593076] not going to bother with hand brake. i've lots of help in the pits, someone can put their toe under the tyre!
QUOTE]

Timmy,
See Blue Book, Specific Regulations for Car Racing (G), "Brakes
108. Brakes should comply with Statutory
Requirements as to the construction of Motor Vehicles.
If there is no mechanical system available for applying
braking effort to at least two wheels, there must be two
hydraulic systems so that braking is maintained on at
least two wheels in the event of failure of the first
system."
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...Car_Racing.pdf

I think you'll find that the scrutes expect a hand brake, if only to stop the car rolling out of the inspection area - eg Mallory.

John
Old 2 Dec 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2593118)   #14
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Quote:

I think you'll find that the scrutes expect a hand brake, if only to stop the car rolling out of the inspection area - eg Mallory.

John

good point well presented, thanks for that.

handbrake it is then!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2593136)   #15
JohnD
Veteran

A tandem master cylinder, with another master in series on the handbrake lever, to the rears (or fronts!) is perfectly acceptable for racing. ("Two hydraulic systems") For road use you MUST have a mechanical system, but as my MoT man says, there's also a cable from the lever - how can he tell if the hand brake works by cable or hydraulics, as long as it works?

John
Old 2 Dec 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2593138)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Brakes should comply with Statutory
Requirements as to the construction of Motor Vehicles.
If there is no mechanical system available for applying
braking effort to at least two wheels, there must be two
hydraulic systems so that braking is maintained on at
least two wheels in the event of failure of the first
system."
A bias pedal box actually meets these regulations.
However just run a master cylinder off the handbrake lever in the rear brake line, job done.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Dec 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2593139)   #17
Timmyevo6
Rookie

for a hydralic system, does it go,

pipe from rear master cylinder, into handbrake master cylinder, out of hand brake master cylinder, into T piece and the from the T piece into each rear caliper?

Don't panic on my 'lack of knowledge', i do the driving and bill paying, my brother is the engineer.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2593140)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes its really that simple, just run the handbrake M/C in the rear brake line.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Dec 2009, 04:42 (Ref:2593221)   #19
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
sorry I dont get it... with one master cyl for the front and one for the rear... you have got 2 separated circuits and you dont need handbrake, is that right?

BTW, the 5 to 1 pedal ratio is very reasonable and typical

for an integral calculation you should do what my brake supplier has in a program he made, that is based on a previous excel he had
basically the program has black fields where you put pad compound (mu database), wheelbase, CoGh, rotor(s) size(s), caliper piston sizes and amount, master cyl size and pedal ratio, tyre diameter, force made by your foot and a long G estimation...

when you have some X amount of blank fields completed the program estiumates the others... its easy to do with an excel spreadtsheet

However thats more than what you Timmy need, just telling in case someone likes the idea
Old 3 Dec 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2593314)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
With a bias bar and two master cylinders, which you are saying equates to a tandem system, you wont have any brakes if one system fails as the pedal will go to the floor and all pressure of the bar will go to the side of least resistance.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2593328)   #21
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
With a bias bar and two master cylinders, which you are saying equates to a tandem system, you wont have any brakes if one system fails as the pedal will go to the floor and all pressure of the bar will go to the side of least resistance.

indeed, however, if you have a hand operated master cylinder, it'll still function. i think.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2593397)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyevo6 View Post
indeed, however, if you have a hand operated master cylinder, it'll still function. i think.
Of course it will providing it's not operating on the system that has failed.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2593441)   #23
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
I would have thought that as pump stroke is rather short, you would reach the bottom and be able to brake with the onther circuit...
Old 3 Dec 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2593479)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Tim, I'm not saying it will work, its just that it complies with the regs as far as the wording goes.
Having had a "complete" brake failure at Brands some while back I know that a bias bar tandem system has its "shortcomings"
Old 3 Dec 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2593509)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Gordon, I fully understood the meaning of your first post on it but I was just pointing out that having two system doesn't mean it's a fail safe. What happens when one side of a tandem cylinder system goes down, do you still have any stopping power with that? After all when you bleed one brake on this type of system the pedal will go straight to the floor won't it.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 3 Dec 2009 at 17:09.