Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Jun 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2719767)   #51
Simonfield
Rookie

England
Haverhill, Suffolk, UK
Simonfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Oh, go on then.......

I do indeed mean next year, and as for getting hooked, not a problem, im there already.
Considering its best part of a year away, i'm looking forward to it...

As a Lemans newbie, what do you guys recommend? i've been looking into the various camping options, inside and outside the circuit, all the campsites facilities seem to vary between each other...

and the tickets, will general admission be enough, or would you get a grandstand seat on top just to have the option?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2719785)   #52
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonfield View Post
I do indeed mean next year, and as for getting hooked, not a problem, im there already.
Considering its best part of a year away, i'm looking forward to it...

As a Lemans newbie, what do you guys recommend? i've been looking into the various camping options, inside and outside the circuit, all the campsites facilities seem to vary between each other...

and the tickets, will general admission be enough, or would you get a grandstand seat on top just to have the option?
Depends on your budget, ability to walk distances and when you are thinking of arriving.
The best campsites are very hard to get but the agencies will have availability for most of them until December, the ACO you can forget unless you are happy to camp in the less desirable campsites miles from the main straight.

If you get there early and like to choose where to camp, Tertre Rouge is the place to be but rocking horse poo is much easier to obtain, Houx, MB are allocated spaces so you can arrive at anytime, most of the other campsites are heading that way.

If you want everything organised team languistine is a good bet or the organised campsites for pistonheads/club arnarge, but you do pay for the service, however for first timers that might be the best bet.

I have never bothered with grandstands at the main Le mans but if you want to watch the start from the mian straight and have plenty of spare cash.

Camping is not for everyones taste but you can guarantee that on arrival you will meet many veterans of le mans who will always be keen to tell you everything you need to know, so make sure the first thing you do is offer them a fresh beer and introduce yourself.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2719934)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon (GT6) has given some good advice, but perhaps another perspective. I've been to Le Mans for the last 25 years and I've never set foot inside a tent. It's one of those things you're either happy with or you're not. I stay a little way from the circuit and 'commute' in. OK, perhaps you lose a little of the atmosphere at times, but it suits me as I'm built for comfort these days (and in truth, always have been). So no comments from me on the actual campsites, although if I were you, I'd obtain a copy of the CA Le Mans Guide - see here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122865

as that gives quite a detailed breakdown of all the available campsites - but, of course, actually getting a ticket for your preferred site is generally a matter of experience. Talk to some of those who've done the camping thing regularly is my advice.

The CA Guide is also a mine of at times useful, sometimes hilarious but generally downright essential information.

As to grandstands, again, it's a matter of choice. I've had one occasionally in the distant past but for many years didn't bother. But I've had a grandstand seat every year since 2002 now and I simply couldn't be without it now. I'm normally to be found in T34, the pits grandstand (the large one over the pits) although I may well be changing for next year, having experienced the delights of T17 during practice this year - great view! Don't necessarily be put off by the expense here - obviously if you're on a serious budget, you may choose not to have a seat in a grandstand - you don't have to have one - but if you look at the overall cost of Le Mans in terms of entrance - around the £55-60 mark and compare it with the outlay at a Grand Prix say - just to get in - the expense of a seat is very reasonable in my eyes.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more advice for you - the one thing you can guarantee is that there are literally hundreds of years of Le Mans experience on here - ask and you shall receive!
Old 5 Jul 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2722098)   #54
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With it having now been seven years since my first (and only..so far) trip... I've been pining to go again, following the excellent coverage all over the show.
So wheels in motion to make it a full week with a few mates... bring on June 2011
Old 5 Jul 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2722222)   #55
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
So wheels in motion to make it a full week with a few mates... bring on June 2011

Only 48 weeks and a few days to go........
Old 5 Jul 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2722229)   #56
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Simon (GT6) has given some good advice, but perhaps another perspective. I've been to Le Mans for the last 25 years and I've never set foot inside a
....grandstand! (and, in fact it's 26 years for me). There are so many ways to do Le Mans and all the advice given so far is spot on! You can spend a great deal of money, and get a great deal in return, but there are also ways to do it incredibly cheaply: fill a (diesel-engined) car with plenty of people to share the cost, avoid the peages, use your wife/partner's Tesco vouchers to buy an incredibly cheap Shuttle ticket, camp off-site, buy a Mulsanne-Arnage ticket only, cook your own food and don't buy any food or drink at the circuit. It can be done, but it's a trade-off against the incredible atmosphere.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2722271)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And all for change from a fiver, eh?
Old 5 Jul 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2722307)   #58
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It can be done quite cheaply, but although I use tesco vouchers and get my tickets from the tourist office (no mark up) i do like to be where the action is so always camp at almost exactly the same spot on tertre rouge every year, and hopefully will get a spot quite close in the triumph campsite at tertre for the classic this weekend. The problem with filling the car with people is what do you do with all the gear. If you have room for a decent tent, gazebo,chairs, cooking equipement etc then with supermarkets closeby you can survive for 4 or 5 days very reasonably, but we tent to eat well (thanks to COB BBQ and an eager cook) and drink quality wines (we paid over 6 euro's per 5 litre barrel this year). the days of warm beer and burnt burger/sausages are over for us.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2722319)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quality wine? 6 euros for a 5 litre barrel - what was in it???
Old 5 Jul 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2722347)   #60
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For sure not a"jasnières" one....
Old 6 Jul 2010, 00:33 (Ref:2722418)   #61
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the 2010 edition was the first for myself and my brother - we loved it and can't wait to go back next year (although I will have to wait to see when my exams will be).

We had general admission tickets and were camped in Houx Annexe at the bottom of the hill, so by 3am Saturday morning we were floating away lol.
But that didn't dampen our spirits (yes I know it's a pun but I genuinely couldn't think of anything else), and we loved it, absolutely fantastic
Old 6 Jul 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2722497)   #62
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
And all for change from a fiver, eh?
Sadly, no - but there's change from 20 fivers!
Old 6 Jul 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2722523)   #63
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Quality wine? 6 euros for a 5 litre barrel - what was in it???
Fresh local wine, none of that bottled muck they flog at inflated prices to gullible tourists. But I must admit the 5 litre rose was horrid, used it for cooking, will not be buying that again. The Red however is usually very drinkable and we get through several barrels of the stuff.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2722674)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Fresh local wine, none of that bottled muck they flog at inflated prices to gullible tourists. But I must admit the 5 litre rose was horrid, used it for cooking, will not be buying that again. The Red however is usually very drinkable and we get through several barrels of the stuff.

[AMAZED] You used 5 litres of rose for cooking during the week......? [/AMAZED]
Old 6 Jul 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2722678)   #65
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
He probably used one or two and left the rest to ferment into vinegar and still use it for cooking.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2722684)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Time to celebrate.

It's just 336 days until I leave for Le Mans 2011.......
Old 6 Jul 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2722778)   #67
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It can be done quite cheaply, but although I use tesco vouchers and get my tickets from the tourist office (no mark up) i do like to be where the action is so always camp at almost exactly the same spot on tertre rouge every year, and hopefully will get a spot quite close in the triumph campsite at tertre for the classic this weekend. The problem with filling the car with people is what do you do with all the gear. If you have room for a decent tent, gazebo,chairs, cooking equipement etc then with supermarkets closeby you can survive for 4 or 5 days very reasonably, but we tent to eat well (thanks to COB BBQ and an eager cook) and drink quality wines (we paid over 6 euro's per 5 litre barrel this year). the days of warm beer and burnt burger/sausages are over for us.
Me!!!!! and the wine was like vinegar!
Old 6 Jul 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2722782)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good for the poisson et frites then.........
Old 7 Jul 2010, 07:07 (Ref:2722896)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Time to celebrate.

It's just 336 days until I leave for Le Mans 2011.......
I can beat that, leave for the classic in less than 2 days
Old 7 Jul 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2722992)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I can beat that, leave for the classic in less than 2 days
This time tomorrow will be in a buffalo Grill!!! half way down!!! LOL
Old 7 Jul 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2723022)   #71
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
This time tomorrow will be in a buffalo Grill!!! half way down!!! LOL
I thought the buffalo grill was by the Carrefore in Le Mans
Old 7 Jul 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2723024)   #72
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I thought the buffalo grill was by the Carrefore in Le Mans
There's lots of them in France. There's one just on the Rouen ring road, which is a convenient mid journey stopoff.
......although I shall have pigged out on the 'full english' breakfast in Langans on the P & O ferry....the only (but still the best) reason for crossing by boat.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2723091)   #73
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
There's lots of them in France. There's one just on the Rouen ring road, which is a convenient mid journey stopoff.
......although I shall have pigged out on the 'full english' breakfast in Langans on the P & O ferry....the only (but still the best) reason for crossing by boat.
As always we do things on the cheap, we always stop at the supermarket in Bernay, good food and always full of locals, we eat stock up on supplies/fuel then straight to the campsite.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2742110)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No posts in this thread for 33 days......... Not quite the 'Hot Topic' we might hope for.......
Old 9 Aug 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2742112)   #75
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Well... some people don't plan this early, other people are held up in their plans by clashes with unavoidable events... (my case for instance, summer University exam session extends over three weeks including Le Mans week for the next three years at least... and I'm dying to come for my first 24 Heures...)