Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1855908)   #151
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corrections are nothing to do witht he maths involved with torque /HP they are purely designed so that people are comparing the same size apples with the same size apples.

I hope this image works it is an otherwise standard Suzuki Swift GTi with an aftermarket computer

This is logged at every 500 rpm, you may find the Yamaha thing is done at each 1000, which will give a resolution problem. Figures are actuals at the wheels, no coat down losses or any of that rubbish, just the actual reading from this particualr dyno.
Remember this is a standard road car, and the torque is highest a 6600 rpm

Last edited by Notso Swift; 2 Mar 2007 at 23:23.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1857152)   #152
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Graph. There is a dip at 4000 and 5500 on the tq curve. Is there some valve float at those two rpms ranges?

My gues if those two rpms dips were corrected for a nice smooth curve it would give you more under the curve TQ. The peak many not be as high, but your overall power would be better.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1857159)   #153
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have yet to see a small capacity multi-valver NOT have a dip in the torque curve somewhere around 5000RPM.

No idea why.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1857209)   #154
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Flow bench testing is very important to start your build. Porting heads helps increase air flow into the engine and those new ported heads need to be checked. Then checking the Cold Air Intake ( CIA) for air flow and the exhuast headers and exhaust pipe for the best air flow.

Then an engine dyno to start your tuning. Finnally a chassy dyno to determan your useable power and the drive line loss.

Most drivelines tend to loss 10-15% from the engine, flywheel or BHP to the usable drive wheel power. Front or rear.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1857872)   #155
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
I have yet to see a small capacity multi-valver NOT have a dip in the torque curve somewhere around 5000RPM.

No idea why.
i guess thats most likely cam related, almost every engine i've seen with a pretty radical sort of cam in it has a dip somewhere,

i had one engine which dropped 20bhp between 5000 and 5500 but between 5500 and 6000 power lept 40bhp, in practise on circuit the engine pulled through the dip so hard you never noticed it

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 4 Mar 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1857892)   #156
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
in practice on circuit the engine pulled through the dip so hard you never noticed it
As long as there was no problems in those RPM ranges.

Noramly with engines of these sizes one wants to keep the rpms up in the power band which looks to be above 5000 rpms anyway.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 14:07 (Ref:1857952)   #157
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first suspect for the dip in torque would be the exhaust manifold. It is impossible to tune an exhaust manifold that works positively at all engine speeds over such a wide engine speed range. At some engine speed the reflected pulses will arrive at the wrong time, causing not just a dip in scavenging efficiency but often a slight reversal of flow of exhaust gasses into the cylinder causing a reduction in cylinder filling (VE).
Old 4 Mar 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1857966)   #158
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes sense.

Certainly the 4age is VERY particular about manifold configurations.

It is two completely different engines when you switch between 4-1 and 4-2-1.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1858613)   #159
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
i guess thats most likely cam related, almost every engine i've seen with a pretty radical sort of cam in it has a dip somewhere,

i had one engine which dropped 20bhp between 5000 and 5500 but between 5500 and 6000 power lept 40bhp, in practise on circuit the engine pulled through the dip so hard you never noticed it
No that was standard factory, off the top of my head they are about 7.4 mm and 236 deg, so very mild, It was the only graph to hand which would demonstrate the point to AU N EGL about torque in often peaking above 5252. I think it was most likely tune related, actually, because that was how we got it
The first thing we did to the car was put a set of cams in, 272 and 9mm, which was the max on the hydraulic tappets, the power was better every where, though there was still a dip. Max torque was a little higher, though it carried on longer so power was up to 105 from memory (it was a while back), rev’d cleanly to 8000+, sorry no graph though. In ultimate form the car got even bigger cams, a nice big valve head, new pistons, throttle bodies and good exhaust, rev'e to 9200 and made 130 at the wheels. It did 1 and a half laps and I put it into the wall hard enough that it trashed the block, leave alone the chassis
Old 5 Mar 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1858735)   #160
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
It did 1 and a half laps and I put it into the wall hard enough that it trashed the block, leave alone the chassis
Ooops!
Old 5 Mar 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1858908)   #161
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
It did 1 and a half laps and I put it into the wall hard enough that it trashed the block, leave alone the chassis
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1858928)   #162
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Notso
Looks like you don't need more power !!!!!
Old 5 Mar 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1859232)   #163
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Phillip Island is a cruel mistress. Trying to pass a guy around the outside of Lukey Heights, which is the blind left hander that runs into the right hand hairpin at the bottom of the hill (for those of you who don't watch the Bikes, both Superbikes and MotoGP have rounds at PI, it is one of the worlds great circiuts), anyway genuine 100 mph corner, I was starting at the back because I missed qualifing (still on the dyno!) and I had one to many brave pills. Too wide for that speed got on to the wet grass and hit the wall at 60 mph and couldn't laugh for about 2 months (fractured my splien). Worst part is they put in a bunch of new sand traps at the request of the FIM... you miss them in a car!