Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2002, 20:34 (Ref:402214)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Suzuka 2002 be the last grand prix for Massa and Sato?

I hope not. I feel they both deserve a place in F1. Massa has been dumped by Sauber and it looks like Sato will also be dumped from Jordan.

If they don't manage to find a race seat for next year, they could both disappear forever even test driving would probably kill off their F1 careers.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 21:31 (Ref:402241)   #2
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at Sato going through 130R he certainly has balls!

Guy
Old 12 Oct 2002, 21:35 (Ref:402247)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i totally forgot about Massa...he wansnt ton TV at all! poor guy....im not sure he will find a drive next year, theres just no space for him.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 22:01 (Ref:402262)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see them both get drives, but they have perhaps been victims of the drive for young drivers- they have been good, but their bosses perhaps expected Raikkonen or Button type showings, when rookies that good come along so rarely. Both have made mistakes, but the raw talent is there, and I think both will get something for 2003. I hope so anyway
Old 12 Oct 2002, 22:15 (Ref:402273)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see how some may argue that Sato has made too many mistakes or that his laps are too inconsistent. What is not taken into consideration is that he has not been racing very long. KR looks really good this year, IMO last year he was about average. I hope Honda wont let Sato fade into oblivion.

Massa too, is much like Sato. He is a racer and his talent is very evident. In fact I think his showing this year made NH look average too. This may be the dumbest decision made concerning drivers this year. HHF is very fast but he is not the future of the sport.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 23:04 (Ref:402300)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, Heinzy quite fast and experienced.
Massa just plain fast, faster than Heidfeld anyway...
They should have rid themselves of him instead of Massa...
I have doubts about Sato but his 7th place on the grid is impressive... Hope he can get a good result out of it cuz he needs it to negotiate for a nice seat next year...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 00:59 (Ref:402331)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think we may see one of them in F1 next year , but not both !.....is just not right .
going back to Taku...this is only his 5th year in mototsport , He done the Japanese race school in 1997 i think , up until then , he was into bicycle riding. I think it is amazing to see what he has achieved in only 5 years .
Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:51 (Ref:402370)   #8
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My feeling is that Massa will be back on account of his youth and pace. He was stupidly dumped by Peter Sauber for disobeying team orders but IMHO he could do a better job than Irvine,Panis, and a few others who should move on and leave room for the next generation of stars. Massa will be one of them.

About Sato, I don't know. I believe he's the best Japanese driver ever but...can tohota or hinda keep him in the series?

Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:27 (Ref:402505)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jordan will keep Sato after today's performances, and EJ has been saying all along that he will be keeping the young Japanese driver, despite all the rumours about who will be there next season.

And after today's poor performance from Massa, in a season where he's had lots of plaudits, but I agree with Brundle that he won't be there next season. I don't think he's that good - fast, but too accident prone. WAY too accident prone.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:30 (Ref:402579)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Massa is surely out for 2003, but I think he'll be back in 2004. Sadly the decision to replace him with HHF was taken earlier this year before he really upped his game. Fair to say at that time it would've been quite a unanimous agreement that HHF could do more with the Sauber, but now it's sad to see Massa being passed over. Quite a negative move for Sauber on the face of it. Fair play to him though if it helps acquire VW engines.

Sato I'm more confident about retaining his seat. Although EJ, in his interview today, didn't say for sure that Sato will stay. I suppose if the right deal comes along with B&H, and/or Ford we could see EI in the Jordan. I pray that's not the case though, not after what Sato has done. We've seen enough of Irvine for my liking.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:59 (Ref:402597)   #11
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are rumours that Jordan will get paid a certain amount of money by Honda to keep Sato - if so, he stays!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:18 (Ref:402738)   #12
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it Sato had a very special engine for this one, better than the other Honda drivers and this was to be expected.
Honda have gone with the wrong team though and you cant help but feel EJ is leaving the door very open in his remarks about Honda, or is it the conection with Sato?

Guy
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:48 (Ref:402783)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard2
Rumour has it Sato had a very special engine for this one, better than the other Honda drivers and this was to be expected.
Is it really that hard for some people to admit Sato drove a great race?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:402971)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its hard to admit that he can suddenly magically become ebtter than the third best driver in F1, on a track he's only raced on once before, and be the only one of 4 Honda drivers not to have a technical problem? Seems like a bit too much of a coincidence.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:28 (Ref:402994)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people can only say this kind stuff if theyve had their head in a bucket of poo for the last 3 years .

give the guy a break......he's done what everyone has asked of him , and it seems its hard for people to say " well done , you can drive bloody well".

He's a rookie....only started driving cars in 97...raced bloody hard all year, made some mistakes, grew up quite a lot.....he only had one really bad race where he was miles off the pace and that was Monza...the rest was too much over enthusiam , which he seems to have tamed the last few races without losing his flare and style .

his commitment through 130R still takes my breath away !

Last edited by Sato san; 13 Oct 2002 at 17:31.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:47 (Ref:403009)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Think about it Japanese driver in a Japanese car(motor) in Japan, of-course he had the best car. What a load...

There are also rumors that Ferrari has a blow up RB button! If it makes anyone feel better, GF did not get his best lap in qualifying because he made a mistake. Also GF did not have the race pace because he was in the backup car that was set up for Sato. All of the drivers had the same spec motor. If anything Honda should have given BAR better equipment. After all the TV money will be needed for next year.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:06 (Ref:403027)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Think about it Japanese driver in a Japanese car(motor) in Japan, of-course he had the best car. What a load...

If Taku was to have had a higher spec engine from the others, and i personally don't think he did, then i should imagine that it would have been the first time this season, and he would have proved what he was capable of doing given the oppertunity.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:13 (Ref:403032)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Also , Fisi went off in the warm up too which affected his race day preparations ....., maybe Taku had some rocket fuel in his car when he posted really good times in the sunday morning warm up at Indy....i mean.he couldnt have donit fasir and square could he !

Last edited by Sato san; 13 Oct 2002 at 18:14.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:50 (Ref:403057)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I expect both of them will be back eventually.

Sato took a little longer to settle in, had some appalling luck and finished strong. EJ still declares that Sato is his #2 for next season, but anything is possible and we may not know for sure for some time.

Massa proved this season that he is quick, but he is immature and Sauber may not be the place for him. I expect that he will sign on as a test driver for some one and hone his skills. He'll be back and I suspect he'll be a winner too.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 22:42 (Ref:403240)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Now only if the rumors of JV going to CART were true...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:27 (Ref:403273)   #21
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda may very well support sato in 2003 and move him to JV's in 2004. It looks as if JV may have fried his onions in F1. I don't see a future for him in F1 unless he is totally awesome in 2003. If he is he may get reuebens seat in 2004, but there is nowghere else for him to go. I would not expect to see him move from Honda to Toyota either, unless he has an absolutely awesome 2003, in which case Honda would keep him.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 00:03 (Ref:403297)   #22
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJ got $3-$6 million in TV money thanks to Sato's drive (planetf1). Irvine can bring in a lot more then that with sponsors and finishes (although he costs more then Sato). The thing is next season is probably EI's last. Temporary glory for long-term trouble, when Irvine leaves Jordan will be back where it started. They should keep Sato as #3/test driver just for that reason. I'd much rather see him stay at Jordan then possibly going to BAR and having his career ruined.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 01:50 (Ref:403350)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I can see Sato back in F1, maybe after a year on testing duties. His drive at Suzuka most probably gave him a tremendous boost with the Japanese followers, and I think he will be back even if he does not scorew a drive next year. Massa is not so lucky - with the demise of Arrows, we suddenly have two less seats, and he may be the one to miss out.

Valve