Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:18 (Ref:726403)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sato: "I will be at Suzuka"

F1-live.com reports that Sato has said he will at he will race at Suzuka.
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...22123329.shtml

Personally i'm disappointed for JV if he is forced out at Suzuka. It's probably for Honda and the sponsors with a Japenese driver at Suzuka, but the least BAR can do for Jacques is give him the enitire season,after all it was Jacques who has helped BAR into the midfield.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:20 (Ref:726409)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
According to www.autosport.com Sato has refuted claims that he will race at Suzuks....

BAR-Honda test and reserve driver Takuma Sato has refuted reports in the press today saying that he will drive in his home grand prix next month.

Sato has been rumoured for some time to be in line to take Jacques Villeneuve's race seat at BAR for the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka on October 12.

Sato was quoted as saying in a press report: "I know talks are continuing between Jacques and BAR, and my understanding is that he won't be racing in the final grand prix of the season. If he doesn't, then I'll take his place."

A favourite of BAR's engine supplier Honda, Sato has now issued a denial of the story, insisting that he will not be racing at Suzuka.

"I don't understand why the press make these things up," said Sato. "I imagine that there is a lot of enthusiasm from people, but I have never said that I will be racing there. As far as I am concerned, the team already has two race drivers and nothing has changed that."

BAR has also confirmed that there is no plan to replace Villeneuve before the end of the season.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:35 (Ref:726426)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumours and rumours about JV. I guess there's no place for him anymore.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:40 (Ref:726432)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah - it's been a big fall for the '97 WDC. Shame really, his talents warrants more than being sidelined midseason to let the test driver have a spin...
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:44 (Ref:726439)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr V this is interesting, 2 sites reporting something different, guess we'll only find out at Suzuka.(though JV's performance at Monza might have swung the decision in his favour.)
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:54 (Ref:726454)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well this news item was released on Reuters a short time ago:

11:39 22Sep2003 RTRS-Motor racing-No plans to replace Villeneuve in Japan, say BAR

LONDON, Sept 22 (Reuters) - BAR have no plans to replace Canadian Jacques Villeneuve with test driver Takuma Sato at the season-ending Japanese Grand Prix, the Formula One team said on Monday.
"As far as we are concerned, Jacques will be racing in Japan," a team spokeswoman said.
Sato was earlier quoted in a British newspaper as saying he expected to replace the former world champion at Suzuka.
"I know talks are continuing between Jacques and BAR and my understanding is that he won't be racing in the final grand prix of the season. If he doesn't, then I'll take his place," he said.
However BAR and Sato's manager Andrew Gilbert-Scott told Reuters that the Japanese driver had denied making the comment at a motorsport event in Scotland.
"Taku doesn't expect to be racing in Japan and he expects Villeneuve to be racing there," said Gilbert-Scott. "We don't expect Taku to be racing at Suzuka at all."
Suzuka hosts the final race on October 12 and Sato, who speaks fluent English, came fifth there last year for Jordan in front of his home crowd.
Villeneuve, the 1997 world champion with Williams, said last week that Honda were pushing for Sato to replace him at BAR next season.
The son of late Ferrari great Gilles Villeneuve told reporters at the Italian Grand Prix that he was not aware of any plans to replace him at Suzuka however.
"It's not in the plans, at least...not that I'm aware of, but nothing would surprise me," he said at Monza.
The Canadian, one of the best paid drivers in Formula One, has no contract for next year and said last week that so far there was "no inkling of an offer coming from anywhere".
((Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Alison Wildey; Reuters Messaging; alan.baldwin.reuters.com@reuters.net; +44 207 542 7933))
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:55 (Ref:726455)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If JV stops making public statements about the team trying to oust him for Japan he'll drive there. (imo)
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:05 (Ref:726469)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course many teams have said that they have no plans to replace a driver..........right before they replace him
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:20 (Ref:726482)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He has not signed a new contract yet, so it can happen.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:27 (Ref:726495)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato shooting his mouth off left,right and centre this year cannot have impressed Honda, anymore than his driving has impressed BAR. If he had impressed BAR he would have already been confirmed for 2004...
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:31 (Ref:726501)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
i dont think it's Sato's driving, but i think that Honda will want a Japanese driver in Suzuka and BS aswell for the sponsors and promotions etc. Especially after his showing last year, it would make a good promotion and a great Advert. for Honda
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:43 (Ref:726516)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Sato shooting his mouth off left,right and centre this year ...
That surprises me, I don't recall hearing anything from Sato. In fact I thought that he has been very quiet this year. :confused:
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:02 (Ref:726601)   #13
Flossyhead baaa
Rookie

Flossyhead baaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sato shooting his mouth off left,right and centre this year cannot have impressed Honda, anymore than his driving has impressed BAR.
What planet are you on ?. I dont remember that ?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:05 (Ref:726604)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Sato shooting his mouth off left,right and centre this year cannot have impressed Honda, anymore than his driving has impressed BAR. If he had impressed BAR he would have already been confirmed for 2004...
Whats to say that he hasn't already signed a contract? But that BAR are keeping it quiet until JV announces his plans?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:26 (Ref:726625)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
That surprises me, I don't recall hearing anything from Sato. In fact I thought that he has been very quiet this year. :confused:
He hasn't said much, but what he has said has been a little ill-advised. He was blabbering on about having a contract to race in 2004 from about Imola.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:45 (Ref:726648)   #16
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
He hasn't said much, but what he has said has been a little ill-advised. He was blabbering on about having a contract to race in 2004 from about Imola.
Exactly. Thank you.

And remember how his stupid talk (allegedly) was what effectively stopped him from getting Bunsen's drive in Monaco...

Last edited by JR Ewing; 22 Sep 2003 at 16:46.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:52 (Ref:726659)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Exactly. Thank you.
This one obviously just passed me by! However, intrigued, I actually tried to find some proof. I found very little, but knowlesy had the clue to when he said it once. Here is a quote from Imola 2003. http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s169/st23839.htm
Quote:
Sato
I have a three year deal with BAR, of which only one year is as third driver. So put it this way - I expect to race for the team in '04.
In the same article David Richards said
Quote:
DR
You might read stories suggesting that Sato has a contract to race for us next year. This is not the case.

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Sep 2003 at 16:54.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:13 (Ref:726687)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, now Sato is the villan. How much worse can this get? Also, how many of us would like to be in JV's position right now. I know I would. I dont feel sorry for him at all. I feel sorry for the sick people that I encounter in the hospital but not for a millionaire that lives in Monaco.

Sato said he expected to drive. Whats wrong with that? He is entitled to his opinions and to have confidence in his abilities isnt he? All I have ever read about Sato is how nice of a person he is. Actually some even feel his personality is a weakness, saying he is too nice.

Finally if JV does not drive in Suzuka I am sure he will be compensated very generously. I am sure the decision will also be his.

Again people, Honda does not own the team. Its B*A*R Honda, not Honda. All final decisions are make by DR and company. If Honda pulls out of the team where would they go? At this point they need BAR just as BAR needs them. I dont see the problem.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:22 (Ref:726702)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

If he said so, then who's the liar ? Sato or Richards ? This getting out of control !
Old 22 Sep 2003, 18:47 (Ref:726840)   #20
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I posted this on another JV thread. Mabe it belongs here

Don't know if this means anything but I just got a email from BARf1.com to become a Founder member.
Anyway it says if you sign up you can listen to Button, Villeneuve and engineers on pit wall in Suzuka .
Didn't mention Sato.

So what ever that means.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 20:22 (Ref:726972)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, great, and if Sato does drive at Suzuka can you guess which driver the TV director will be following ALL race?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 20:32 (Ref:726985)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

And remember how his stupid talk (allegedly) was what effectively stopped him from getting Bunsen's drive in Monaco...
IIRC Taku had left Monaco before Jensons accident and the team couldn't get him back in time.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 20:34 (Ref:726987)   #23
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC - isn't Suzuka the only track where Sato is any good?
It would be understandable to race him there if they needed the points.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 20:34 (Ref:726988)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Yeah, great, and if Sato does drive at Suzuka can you guess which driver the TV director will be following ALL race?
Not with a championship battle on his hands he won't be following taku all race.

Don't know what ITV was like last year, but Sky followed all drivers fairly equally.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 20:48 (Ref:727000)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I certainly hope the JV is back next year. It makes interesting reading, and the occassional good laugh, some of the funnies that you all post. Thanks