Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2002, 20:17 (Ref:429480)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the British GT Championship getting stronger or weaker?

I am wondering about this, whilst the 2002 spec GT class will remain active the cars will be pegged back to GTO performance. Part of me feels that this is a very bad idea and it should be the way it is now plus the new entry level class that is starting as of 2003.

The GTO class is all very well and good but the cars dont have the power the big GT class cars have, as long as there is 5/6 cars in the GT class I feel it should have been left alone, also this year grids have been smaller due to the economic crisis, mainly effecting the GT class cars as they are a lot more expensive and more expensive to run and maintain.

I dont know maybe the GTO class will pull a few suprises and become really good but I just cant get excited at the thought of seeing a Ferrari 360 power around in the lead of a race and everything behind that slower. What do u think about the British GT championship in its new format for 2003?
Old 15 Nov 2002, 20:27 (Ref:429484)   #2
27tim
Racer

27tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find that the GTs power hasn't been pegged back at all for 2003 and they will run to 2002 spec. The performance difference between the 2 classes will be equalised through pit stops.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 22:49 (Ref:429576)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh ok cool thanks, thats better than what i origanally thought then but still not ideal.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 23:05 (Ref:429596)   #4
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not looking good for the GT class. lister have gone, TVR also appear to have gone and GNM looks set to switch to the FIA GT championship next season.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 23:07 (Ref:429599)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
This is a sorry shame, first of all we lost GT1 which was bearable-just now we lose what was GT2 will there still be a Brittish GT championship in 10 years time? The way its going now I woudnt mind betting that there wont be.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 18:30 (Ref:431563)   #6
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say stronger. You only need someone to buy a Prodrive Ferrari and taunt GNM to bring along a Saleen and you've got a pretty good fight. ;-)
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:20 (Ref:431603)   #7
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BGT series looks promising next year, Mosler, TVR Tuscan R, Porsche, TVR Tuscan (so i've read), Morgan.
Then possibly a Pilgrim, Vx220 Lotue Elise...etc. And any GT class car that wants to play

On paper a possibly strong series for 2003.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 13:54 (Ref:432220)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
This is a sorry shame, first of all we lost GT1 which was bearable-just now we lose what was GT2 will there still be a Brittish GT championship in 10 years time? The way its going now I woudnt mind betting that there wont be.
Given the current economic climate in the sport, I think it's pretty clear that the GT class was becoming unsustainable at national level- OK, we had the Lister, the GNM Saleens, the TVR this year, but they were the only competitive GT cars which appeared regularly. With Lister & GNM looking to Europe next year, I can't actually see what top-line GT cars we are likely to see on a regular basis next year anyway, so the move towards focusing on the GTO class is inevitable.

What would you rather see, a strong field of GTOs supported by the new entry-level category, or a few GT-class cars, (probably the older less competitive ones), mostly turning out on an irregular basis and probably being beaten by the best GTO teams anyway....?

The GT class has simply priced itself out of the market for a national series, just as GT1 did
Old 19 Nov 2002, 15:24 (Ref:432270)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
My point exactly what a sorry state the championship is currently in. The GTO class is good yeah but Id much rather see the bigger GT cars. Also lets not forget the Veloxq Ferrari squad are now competing in the FIA GT series so does that mean thaey wont be in the British GT series next year?
Old 19 Nov 2002, 16:49 (Ref:432327)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My point exactly what a sorry state the championship is currently in.
I'm not sure it does mean the championship's in a sorry state though- it's just adjusting to a set of reules that actually stand a chance of producing a good size and qaulity of grid in a UK national series- it's much like the last couple of years of supertouring in the BTCC, when it was pretty obvious that those regulations no longer suited the situation in the UK- as teams could no longer justify the costs.

Sure, I'll miss the GT class cars, much as I missed the GT1s when they went- it didn't mean that I enjoyed the series any less though.....
Old 19 Nov 2002, 17:00 (Ref:432339)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Im afraid it will do for me though what will happen when they finally decide the GTO class is too expensive and the cup car class is the premier class? Eventually if the pattern continues as it is now there wont be a British GT series left.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 17:44 (Ref:432405)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
What the seies needs more than anything else is a sponsor - It badly misses what Privilege Insurance added for several years.

Get the promotion and race / reward structure right and things will improve. There might be financial woes at the moment all round but the cars are out there and so is the will to run them.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 17:45 (Ref:432406)   #13
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My point exactly what a sorry state the championship is currently in. The GTO class is good yeah but Id much rather see the bigger GT cars. Also lets not forget the Veloxq Ferrari squad are now competing in the FIA GT series so does that mean thaey wont be in the British GT series next year?
The big GT cars were great, but the series is in what appears to be a transition period, does that make it weaker? Well that depends on the final direction taken, but for my 2cents, it is going the right way.

The possibility of a greater variety of motors on track is impressive. What the organisers need to do is get a series sponsor.

As fro Veloqx, it was evident almost from day 1 that Sam wanted to do FIA and was using the BGT's as a proving ground. Well he bought some good cars and an interesting attitude to the series. Is it a shame the he has gone, well has he? the team have not announced anything to my knowledge about not competeing next year
Old 19 Nov 2002, 18:19 (Ref:432442)   #14
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I spoke to Sam at the FIA Donington event he was going to concentrate on the FIA series for 2003. He also said he would like to run a car in the British series but he cannot split his team in two if there are clashes.

I'd suggest SALEEN S7R moves to Japan where they have the cash to run those mega JGTC cars, or to the USA for ALMS.
;-)

The UK has loads of small sportscar manufacturers. I can see the British series moving in a direction to cater for that market and provide a shop window for Morgans, TVRs, etc..

This is a good thing.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:37 (Ref:432531)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The only good result coming from this, in my personal opinion is that the Veloxq squad have commited themselves to a full FIA GT campaign. Lets hope there is some competition in the British GT series next year or the TVR will walk away with the championship. Unless the MA decide to apply some restrictors as they had to do to the Saleen. <Grins>
Old 19 Nov 2002, 22:27 (Ref:432625)   #16
jase
Veteran

Quote:
The only good result coming from this, in my personal opinion is that the Veloxq squad have commited themselves to a full FIA GT campaign.
And good luck to them, they will find it harder than the BGT, not only the level of competition but the new circuits as well.

Quote:
Lets hope there is some competition in the British GT series next year or the TVR will walk away with the championship.
There is and has been a class field in GTO this season, and no one team domination, the Rollcentre TVR was never fully dominant, just reliable (until the last 3 rounds), the Eclipse team ran a good show as did all the other regular competitors

Quote:
Unless the MA decide to apply some restrictors as they had to do to the Saleen. <Grins>
Yeah, like that REALLY worked! The MSA never applied any restrictors to the Saleen, the BRDC tried to impliment a weight penalty, when that didn't really work out, they then increased the restrictor, but it was for only 1 or 2 rounds, then it was reduced back to its original size.

Hopefully there will be some GT cars from this year coming back and OK they may have extra pitstops to make to "level" the field, but I'm not writing off the series just yet
Old 19 Nov 2002, 23:52 (Ref:432709)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Sorry if u think im trying to write off the series. I dont want it to fail anymore than anyone else im just stating the facts. I am aware the restrictor on the Saleen was only applied for 2 rounds but that was enough to let the Lister and TVR catch them up a bit. In the end though the Saleen of Mckellar and Erdos did walk away with the title, the 2nd Saleen wasnt quite as good granted but it was still in the top 4.

As for TVR and the Veloxq motorsports teams not walking away with the championship as far as I can figure out, Veloxq and TVR won 9 out of 12 races between them. That to me suggests that the Rollcentre team wont have too many problems winning the GTO class title.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 00:00 (Ref:432715)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Just one other thing, Im not trying to start a argument here but. The final points standigs are like this.

British GT Championship Final Points standings for GT class.

1 Ian Mckellar Jnr - Tomas Erdos Graham Nash Motor Sport (7)/ Saleen S7R 260 Points.

2 Mike Jordan - Dave Warnock Lister Cars/Lister Storm 209 Points.

That to me at least signifes that the GT class was dominated by the Saleen S7R. Thats just my personal opinon of course and im sure some people wont agree.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 07:16 (Ref:432869)   #19
jase
Veteran

Didn't think you were trying to start an argument, that's the furthes thing from my mind aswell. The Saleen did dominate GT class, perhaps the restrictor should have been used earlier in the season rather than weight.

Quote:
..That to me suggests that the Rollcentre team wont have too many problems winning the GTO class title.
But Rollcentre are running the gorgeous Mosler next year. Which looks good and could be reliable, after all it came 2nd at Bathurst 24, that's almost a whole seasons BGT in one weekend
Old 20 Nov 2002, 07:35 (Ref:432876)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
That further backs up my comments. I belive that was also only its 2nd race? If it can turn out a result like that in its 2nd race just think what its going to do to the oppositon in the GTO class next year when the car has had some testing and is even faster than it is now and more reliable.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 08:12 (Ref:432908)   #21
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Countdown Developments are hoping to run the ex-Rollcentre car next season alongside their Tuscan program, so I'm sure there will still be an official TVR interest in the championship. Along with the majority I'd liek to see the Gt calss cars still there, but not if there is not a sufficient number of them. TVR are almost certain to bin the Speed-12, The Lister is probably going to go FIA-GT, and GNM may well follow it, so where would that leave the GT class? When you look at the sheer number of cars that appear in for example the Castle Coombe GT championship, I think the regulation changes are the way to go to get bigger fields and better racing. Yes the Saleen will still wipe the floor with the opposition, but at least there should be better racing in general.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 09:23 (Ref:432957)   #22
jase
Veteran

S7R, 3rd race, Final round of BGT, Zolder and Bathusrt. But it does look like a possible title contender, Shorty knows how to build a car.

Cynic, first i've heard that the ex-rollcentre TVR will be still be in the championship, but it'd be a waste if it wasn't. The Lister won't be run by a full on privateer outfit in BGT, Mr. Pierce wouldn't like that so they are moving into FIA GT full time.

As Graham said earlier there are a lot of cars sitting in garages unable to race because of money but the desire is there to race. So if the organisers drop the entry fees hopefully these cars could join in
Old 20 Nov 2002, 09:40 (Ref:432970)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Well GNM has made clear his intentions to wish to enter the FIA GT series. There was a team meeting a couple of weeks back where the teams all voted to allow the Saleen S7R in now. All that needs to happen now is for the FIA to rubber stamp it.

The new regulations won affect the Saleen really as most of the parts on the car are built for racing. The RML team is also looking at running a pair of Saleen S7Rs in the FIA GT championship next year and/or a semi works MG Lola EX257 at Le Mans and the Susuka 1000km.

When the Saleens are finally rubber stamped we will have a great line up for the 2003 FIA GT series with 3 Ferrari 550s, 4 Vipers, 3 Lister storms, and 4 Saleen S7Rs, or at least thats how it looks at the moment.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 12:58 (Ref:433103)   #24
jase
Veteran

Quote:
When the Saleens are finally rubber stamped we will have a great line up for the 2003 FIA GT series with 3 Ferrari 550s, 4 Vipers, 3 Lister storms, and 4 Saleen S7Rs, or at least thats how it looks at the moment.
ooohhh- Finest Kind! *drools at possible line-up*
Old 20 Nov 2002, 13:04 (Ref:433108)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Well we are likely to have at least 2 Saleens on the grid anyway, the RML team is just another possible.